The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,906 of 6,349
Listening to Crowded House with the K712 Pro.  I keep going back and forth between which I prefer more the HD800 or AKG K712 Pro.  The cost definitely comes into play.  If the HD800 were half its current price I would be all over them, but the AKG does so much so well that I still think it is well worth the price.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,907 of 6,349
Damn girl, did you spend like a month writing this?! I thought it was interesting and timely that you included comparisons to the hifiman HE 400 and Sony M.A. 900, though I would say this headphone easily bests those two. I like the M.A. 900 in general, but it was a little bit boring for movies and gaming would be a little bit more exciting listening with the k712's on the same audio. I'm not sure I understand why you don't like the headband, but I find this has been actually more comfortable than the Sony with my thinning hair line. I do agree that the Sony is a really great value, but one of its main advantages is mitigated by how easily this AKG headphone can adapt to different amping situations compared to the older AKG's.

What DAC do you use again with yours? I'm thinking and wondering if a specialized DAC may finally be in order for my future.

How much you thinking about spending? I absolutely looove my Music Streamer II...

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,908 of 6,349
Listening to Crowded House with the K712 Pro.  I keep going back and forth between which I prefer more the HD800 or AKG K712 Pro.  The cost definitely comes into play.  If the HD800 were half its current price I would be all over them, but the AKG does so much so well that I still think it is well worth the price.

I don't know if you've read mad lust envy, but I think he's thinking along the same lines with the MA900 versus the AKG K712. I get, Kinda, where he's coming from with the "I don't want to use an amp" thing, definitely money savings there, but the K712 just sounds more dynamic, lively, fun, and awesome with a lot more tight response that is only possible with great amping and great headphones.

I watched the new Dredd movie, which is a pretty exciting movie, on the Sony's, but I think that it was just a little bit more dull than it would've been with my new headphones, and just listening to even a compressed movie sounded a whole lot more exciting with the AKG's. I'm not saying that the AKG doesn't reveal harsh and poor recorded content, that is kind of a hallmark of nice headphones and the AKG series in general, I am saying that it still sounds exciting even with material that isn't necessarily optimal quality.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,909 of 6,349
I watched the new Dredd movie, which is a pretty exciting movie, on the Sony's, but I think that it was just a little bit more dull than it would've been with my new headphones, and just listening to even a compressed movie sounded a whole lot more exciting with the AKG's.

Dredd was AMESOME with the K712s! It was the first movie I watched with them when they arrived...
k701smile.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,910 of 6,349
Yeah, I totally understand why mad really loves the M.A. 900s, but I don't understand why he is so against the case 712 and the queue 701's just being a more exciting fun headphone to listen with. I actually had to turn up the bass boost on my DSS almost all the way up with the MA900s just to get the kind of excitement I thought the dread movie director was trying to give me.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,911 of 6,349
Dunno what amp you're using, but the MA900 is anything but lacking in bass. It sounds just fine, and I'm not a treblehead like before. The mid bass and mids are wonderful on the MA900. Sub bass, sure, it doesn't extend that low, but neither does many dynamic headphones in general.

Against the K712? Since when? The K702 Annie easily bests the MA900 for me, and I'm sure so would the K712. But again, this isn't JUST about amping. This is also about comfort. NONE of the AKGs touch the MA900s light weight and comfort for me. Comfort is my number 1 priority, and the MA900 is king.

As for the Q701... it in no way or form does warmth and mid bass like the MA900. It extends more, true, yet it doesn't have the same presence and musicality for me. It's basically the same reason why I prefer the Q over the K701 of old. It was less analytical, and more musical. The MA900 further does the same over the Q701, even if it's not on the same technical level.

The Q701 is airy and more analytical. The MA900 is more pleasing in tonality and doesn't cause any fatigue. So yes, I prefer the MA900.

No one is against the K712. I'm 100% sure they'd be my favorite all rounder, tied with the Annie in my choice for sound quality meeting performance. Yet, I would still prefer the MA900 for it's own strengths and better weight/comfort, and I'd reach for it 9 times out of 10.

Never said the MA900 beats the X1, yet the MA900 got 99% of my headtime because of it's comfort over the X1. Some tradeoffs ars worthwhile for that crazy comfort.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,913 of 6,349
Damn girl, did you spend like a month writing this?! I thought it was interesting and timely that you included comparisons to the hifiman HE 400 and Sony M.A. 900, though I would say this headphone easily bests those two. I like the M.A. 900 in general, but it was a little bit boring for movies and gaming would be a little bit more exciting listening with the k712's on the same audio. I'm not sure I understand why you don't like the headband, but I find this has been actually more comfortable than the Sony with my thinning hair line. I do agree that the Sony is a really great value, but one of its main advantages is mitigated by how easily this AKG headphone can adapt to different amping situations compared to the older AKG's.

What DAC do you use again with yours? I'm thinking and wondering if a specialized DAC may finally be in order for my future.

The Burson Conductor SL with both Dac Chips.  The headband is functional and comfortable, but needlessly large.  No need for the giant half moon wires over your head for a design like that, in my opinion.  Adds needless bulk and simply wished it had the same style band as the K-550.  Here is the non product page review:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/685629/akg-k-712-pro-review#post_9884769

Was that a Tiny Tina reference, if so then high five*

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,914 of 6,349
  How is the bass on these headphones?  Does it come close to Denon D7000 or other headphones which are known for their good bass?

Bass was the only reason I got rid of the AGK 702s.

I have HE-500 and Denon D7000 right now.  I am thinking of getting rid of the HE-500 due to comfort issues and also on some tracks they sound a bit lean, and I have to crank them up for it to sound good to my ears.  But then it's a little too loud for me.

I might sell my Denon D7000 too and just stick to one pair of headphones.  I am considering the AKG 712 Pro.

The bass is on the K712's is tight clean and very there. 
But in quantity it doesn't come close to the D7000 or similar bass-famous headphones.

With the K712's you'll get more bass than the K702's,
but you might miss the size of the presentation, i.e. the K712's soundstage
is smaller than the K702's.

Still, overall, I like the K712's more than the K702's.

Another really fine headphone for you to consider if
bass is very important to you = Philips X1.  Not quite
as pinpoint accurate and refined as the K712's, but
more bass. 

I agree however, I would stay away from the x1 though if you want full sound. The rest of the frequencies sound very distant besides the bass so you would have to turn it up as well for it to sound full. Good thing is it is not sibilant at allllll. The he-500 is a pretty full sounding can. I would invest in some tubes and eq the low end(it responds very well) especially since he is going for another open can.

When I turn my he500 up loud it is uncomfortable too So if comfort and bass are your main gripes you might like the x1 though it doesn't extend low it has more natural and full bass and is the most comfortable headphone I have had to date despite its distant sound.

When going for the x1 you will loose sibilance, detail, depth, bass extension/ tightness, treble extension, fullness, vocals 
but gain... smoothness, bass quantity, comfort, a little air, distance.

I am tempted to get the k712 next. I have the k545 on preorder so it will follow suite. My only concern is the sibilance in the upper register. I am sensitive to that part. He-500 is right there on my tolerance when played loud.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,915 of 6,349
After quite a long time, I decided to purchase AKG K712 Pro for my very good friend... Primarily because:

1) Hifiman HE-500 is well-known for its poor comfort and my experience with LCD-2 was more than enough to skip the headphone even though FR-wise, these would be the very best for my friend who is focused on metal music. Also, I would have to purchase the HE-500 used (HE500 are like 925USD new here in Europe). Soundstage could be an issue for me as well but no as much for my friend.

2) Alpha dog does not have any measurement available yet and waiting period is very long. Also, these are closed and most probably not the very best in terms of comfort from what some people stated.

In the end, Ive got a good deal on completely new pair with full warranty for around 475USD which is pretty great here because K712 Pro officially goes for like 575USD here. I didnt want to import them since additional costs would basically make the final price equal or worse than those 475USD.

====================================

I am going to examine the headphone against my Sennheiser HD800 (unmodded)... Is there anyone interested in the comparison? I dont expect them to outperform the HD800 but still, if they are good enough, I could just sell my Senns and let my friend purchase another pair (though more expensive one).

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,916 of 6,349
Interesting after following your posts on the K812 thread.  I am also pulling the trigger on the K712 tomorrow myself. Though, I've previously owned the K702 65th, so I already know what to expect.  I sold them and an AD2000X though, to buy the HD800 which I preferred overall for most listening, though I wouldn't have minded keeping both.  

Even having had the HD800, I would say the K702 65th still was unique enough in presentation to appreciate it's qualities.  I certainly wouldn't sell the HD800 for it though, but that's just me.  I'm still planning on getting the K812 after tax refund next year and I figure if I don't like them, someone will trade for HD800.  Right now though, I am without a full size headphone so I'm going for the K712.  I expect the presentation to be slightly different than when I had the K702 65th simply because I'm now using what I would consider to be a better amp but lesser DAC.

Quote:
  After quite a long time, I decided to purchase AKG K712 Pro for my very good friend... Primarily because:

1) Hifiman HE-500 is well-known for its poor comfort and my experience with LCD-2 was more than enough to skip the headphone even though FR-wise, these would be the very best for my friend who is focused on metal music. Also, I would have to purchase the HE-500 used (HE500 are like 925USD new here in Europe). Soundstage could be an issue for me as well but no as much for my friend.

2) Alpha dog does not have any measurement available yet and waiting period is very long. Also, these are closed and most probably not the very best in terms of comfort from what some people stated.

In the end, Ive got a good deal on completely new pair with full warranty for around 475USD which is pretty great here because K712 Pro officially goes for like 575USD here. I didnt want to import them since additional costs would basically make the final price equal or worse than those 475USD.

I am going to examine the headphone against my Sennheiser HD800 (unmodded)... Is there anyone interested in the comparison? I dont expect them to outperform the HD800 but still, if they are good enough, I could just sell my Senns and let my friend purchase another pair (though more expensive one).

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,917 of 6,349

Just want to note that I find the alpha dog to be extremely comfortable.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,918 of 6,349
NA Blur,

still waiting on that comparison of the stock HD800 and the K712.  Or, did I miss it somewhere?  And has anyone compared the K712 with the T1?

Also, anyone know when the K812 will be released?

I know, questions, questions...

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,919 of 6,349
And has anyone compared the K712 with the T1?

Not directly, but I compared the Anniversary and T1 and the Anniversary is warmer, smoother, and thicker sounding.  The T1 is a bit lighter with clearer treble and clearer instrument seperation.  It also has greater soundstage depth.   
Also, anyone know when the K812 will be released?

Mid-November.  RazorDogAudio is expecting stock in 2-3 weeks though.

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,920 of 6,349
Thanks chicolom.

Would I be right to say that the T1 is a more advanced, higher-end sounding K702?  Clear treble and instrument separation, with deep soundstage, is how I'd describe a K702.  I know you felt the K712 was much deeper and warmer sounding than the K702.

Any idea on the price for the K812?

And finally, I know it's been kicked around here, but anyone want to venture a definitive summary of the K712 (or K702) vs HE500?

I'm starting to wonder if the HE500 may be my next headphone.  (I'm a huge fan of the K702, but at this point teetering on the brink of buying a Q701, as a cheap improvement to it, a K712 as a more expensive improvement, or just holding out for a K812, though I'm not sure I can remotely afford it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back