The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Aug 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #766 of 2,849
Quote:
I doubt the highs are as bad as ppl say. I own the DT 990 which is considered by some to be gawd awfully bright, so the only issue I have is the Seal. And btw Dyanamex was helpful in making my w1000x one super Tight headphone. 

And Oh wow SUPER DUPER headPhone Bending to the RESCUE. -.-

Hey Mshenay, DS21 asked about it and I will too: what exactly is Dynamex?  A Dynamat knock-off?

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #767 of 2,849
darthsmile.gif
To all of you out there owning the k550, the following song sounds just amazing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InHY6tTJ0aQ

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #769 of 2,849
Quote:
I doubt the highs are as bad as ppl say. 

All I have to say is, get Audyssey amp for your iPhone (or lesser platform, if it is available for them) and try it. Turn on their K550 curve, listen...music. They sound a lot like Senn HD-580 or Mad Dogs. Turn it off...SHRIEKING HIGHS.

I don't know your the DT990, but it's possible it has the same kind of balance. 

Now, some may prefer that tipped-up balance. If so, the K550's are great cans.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #770 of 2,849
Quote:
Hey Mshenay, DS21 asked about it and I will too: what exactly is Dynamex?  A Dynamat knock-off?

No I meant Dynamt, I was just spelling it wrong multiple times lawl

Well what makes the dt 990 listenable [at least to my ears[ is that it's an open can. So that super high energy treble has a lot of air to aid in it's extension... that and I have a fan 12 inches from my head... which proably kills alot of the OMG treble with it's white noise 

So I turned the fan off and the treble is fine, it might help to mention I listen to my music rather quietly... my FooBar has it's volume set to -10... and even at 100% the dt 990 still doesn't sound well harsh with it's highs. guess my ears just have a high tolerance for Treble... lucky me

Non the less, the issues with Fit on the k550 have scared me away... I fought with my w1000x way to much to have to deal with that crap again... but if I can't get the Md's OR the Sound Magic Hp 100s to work... then Fight I shall! 

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #771 of 2,849
According to an e-mail I received this morning from the Parts Dept. at Harman's Lifestyle Division, replacement pads for the K550 will be available by "the end of next week".

The parts numbers are:

[size=10pt]P/N # 3280M12020, EARPAD R K550[/size]
[size=10pt]P/N # 3280M12010, EARPAD L K550[/size]

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #772 of 2,849
I agree with those finding the highs a problem with the K550. For 95% of my listening the headphone sounds wonderful, but high brass reproduction in orchestral music sounds terribly shrill and unrealistic. Indeed, I've NEVER experienced such an ugly high brass sound from any headphone of any price. Even my cheap old Sony MDR 7506 is less caustic in these circumstances.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #773 of 2,849
I honestly never had problems with "shrill highs" with these cans and I am really surprised that some people find them spiky. However it might relate to people's preferences or failing to get a seal (it helps to move the headphones in a bit lower and forward position instead of right over the ear).

@wrightanswer@ear: could you give me an example of which pieces of orchestra-work you found high-brass reproduction to be shrill? Just interested to listen pieces considered difficult with the k550 and get an idea, what people find to be shrill. Just want to relate my experiences to others to better understand what is perceived by some as shrill. Thank you! Btw I would confirm that high-brass isn't the strong-point of these cans, in my opinion mostly because of a lacking "body" that I related to the closed design.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #774 of 2,849
I jus sold my k550 ...n bot superlux 681 Evo....jus to console myself ...Must say i didn't missed the k550 much.
Those who can't live with the shrill and still crave for a 50mm slammer, follow me.
shan't say more in this appreciation thread.:D

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #776 of 2,849
Been listening to mine for 2 days so far, and I don't get the shrill highs or bass light descriptions so far. They can certainly bring the bass when it's called for in the song, and I like the hd25s too so maybe bright cans don't bother me.

They're pretty damn good so far, especially for guitar music.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #777 of 2,849
Quote:
Been listening to mine for 2 days so far, and I don't get the shrill highs or bass light descriptions so far. They can certainly bring the bass when it's called for in the song, and I like the hd25s too so maybe bright cans don't bother me.

They're pretty damn good so far, especially for guitar music.

I get the feeling that there is some kind of herd mentality at work here at head-fi - a couple of guys report a problem with a headphone, other people read about the "problem" in some post, and then they start to hear the same thing.   The opposite can also happen when members flock to the latest fotm.  

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #778 of 2,849
like all things sushi/beer/wine/cheeze/tandoori....
its an acquired taste, monkey see monkey do sort of learning, following.
self discovery n evolvement...form our own taste, and lead/mislead others in turn..:p
yes, the evo. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #779 of 2,849
Quote:
like all things sushi/beer/wine/cheeze/tandoori....
its an acquired taste, monkey see monkey do sort of learning, following.
self discovery n evolvement...form our own taste, and lead/mislead others in turn..:p
yes, the evo. 

Hmm round and round we go... hell I should just buy these and get it over with. People said the dt 990 is bright, not so much to me. 

Although the only can I've ever got to date that I didn't like was a well Mad Dog, and it was good with some genres but not enough for me

And ofc I keep hearing, so many positive and negatives about the k550... the headband mostly but still...

Still I'd love to get a chance to try the K550 and just hear it for my self 

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #780 of 2,849
I didn't really have any trouble getting a good seal. I didn't do any mods to it. I'm also wearing thick frame glasses all the time just for reference.

Though I guess that means I have a big head? Not sure how to feel about that. :p

I have to say though these cans isolate better than I expected. Not to hd25-II levels but close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back