The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #572 of 2,848
DT880 has "peaks?' They are bright-ish headphones, the closest to T1 in terms of sound quality but the 880 has significant treble roll-off. 
That's why  people prefer 880 to the rest of Beyer line-up including T1. 

What? My ears can confirm this:

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #573 of 2,848
Quote:
Are there any pouches for the k550?

Or would they fit in a beyerdynamic DT series pouch? (I mean this one http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/27/342x353px-LL-270bc28a_ScreenShot2012-07-02at4.46.17PM.png)

I'm thinking they would fit in there. The K550 are very small when to their smallest size.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #574 of 2,848
Quote:
DT880 has "peaks?' They are bright-ish headphones, the closest to T1 in terms of sound quality but the 880 has significant treble roll-off. 
That's why  people prefer 880 to the rest of Beyer line-up including T1. 

nah....T1 kills the 880 easily. 

Yes the LYR tube would fire up the k550, just be careful with the vol knob. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #575 of 2,848
Quote:

Exactly my thoughts... They are just too massive for the delicate look of the K550. The other leather pads are also a bit off to me as the shiny black does not match with the matte elements of the driver housing and the headband. I do like the look and feel of the standard pads though, so I'm not looking for a replacement anyway...

My problem is with the profundity of them. The driver protection presses agains my hears and hurts after a while.. ;/ 

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #576 of 2,848
Quote:
My 550s are on their way, but I kinda regret purchasing them....I read several topics about these headphones and the comments about them are so mixed I don't know what to think...The comments of rhythmdevils and several other head-fi veterans about these headphones for example are brutal...

Just listen to the headphones YOU like.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #579 of 2,848
How many days before the Chinese "chemical plant" stench disperses completely from these headphones?  The new smell with this one is not good, it is nauseating and head ache inducing. Coming home the entire living room smells like a carcinogenic nightmare.

The swivel mechanism is almost entirely locked in and unable to move at the left side. Someone tightened it too much. Can't see how to fix this myself without doing damage to them.. not the best QC from AKG on this one.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #580 of 2,848
Quote:
How many days before the Chinese "chemical plant" stench disperses completely from these headphones?  The new smell with this one is not good, it is nauseating and head ache inducing. Coming home the entire living room smells like a carcinogenic nightmare.

The swivel mechanism is almost entirely locked in and unable to move at the left side. Someone tightened it too much. Can't see how to fix this myself without doing damage to them.. not the best QC from AKG on this one.

Mine didn't smell that much to the point of leaving a smell in the space.. but it could be because I like the smell..
The headband seems a defect.. mine work perfectly.. can ask for a replacement? 

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #581 of 2,848
Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you but I've made 3-4 times 2 hour laundry to this earpads fillment and after this it was hanging entire cold winter on the air but it still stinks, though I've made a new ones from some furniture foam with the same thickness. 
The real problem is upper soft part of headband, it is glued and impossible to replace. But more or less I can live with it.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #582 of 2,848
Quote:
Anyone tried K550 with Schiit Lyr? I know it's an overkill when an Asgard 2 will do.
But I was just wondering if I could use Lyr for both my 600 Ohm phones and the more
sensitive K550.

I have Lyr and K550. It pairs not so well together. Too much background noise and everytime you touch or move phonecable or touch amplifier you will hear it.
At the end this great amp was built for less sensitive headphones. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #585 of 2,848
Quote:
Why so many of you actually bought these things and now are trying to "fix" AKG's engineering failure is beyond me....

Why reward a company that got it so wrong?

Very good question. AKG's K550 is my first and last purchase from this company. Nevermore. Thanks. Stinking toxic foam.... hmm... even 1$ chinees stuff usualy free from this issue. Only one positive thing - if it's smells - this headphone  genuine.)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back