The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #406 of 2,848
I think the stock cable is the weakest link on these cans. I love my silver dragon on them, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. The silver really tightened up the presentation and separation. My initial experience with the stock cable was that the bass was bit flabby -- kind of like 1 note bass, but not quite (not sure how to define this). Silver brought out the nuances in the bass region. I really I would recommend recabling with a decent leash when you can.

No, the stock wire is not the weakest link on these headphones by any stretch, certain people's inclination to act as demented electricians and replace every wire they see with something more expensive notwithstanding. Everything you think your magic wire did (and that the stock wire didn't) is entirely in your imagination. I guess the fourth time was the charm re: your hypnosis...  
The k550 is now $220 on amazon, quite tempting. Should I buy now or wait and buy mad dogs? Im so conflicted!

They're very different-sounding headphones up top, with very different frequency responses. One must hear both to form a preference. (I currently own both, along with Senn 580s and Denon D2000s. FWIW, the Mad Dogs are clearly better-sounding in my view.) And yes, the Mad Dogs are much less sensitive than the K550s, so they do need an amp capable of swinging decent voltage. IME, the headphone jack on a Meridian Explorer doesn't quite cut it. A HeadRoom Total AirHead does. By contrast, the K550 is fine on the headphone jack of an iPhone 4S.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #407 of 2,848
What do you guys google to find a store that customizes your K550's? I'm trying to find a store near where I live and I'm having a tough time

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #408 of 2,848
Quote:

No, the stock wire is not the weakest link on these headphones by any stretch, certain people's inclination to act as demented electricians and replace every wire they see with something more expensive notwithstanding.Everything you think your magic wire did (and that the stock wire didn't) is entirely in your imagination. I guess the fourth time was the charm re: your hypnosis...  

What is your problem? What's the deal with the hostility man? You do not know me! Why would you call me demented? Do you think that your ad hominem attacks make your perspective any more true?

in your view what is the weakest link for this can? and could you tell me why you think that?

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #409 of 2,848
Quote:
What do you guys google to find a store that customizes your K550's? I'm trying to find a store near where I live and I'm having a tough time

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #410 of 2,848
just gotten my k550 from my neighbourhood thriftshop..:p

First off, v comfy..good seal on my bigface..the basss...oh its there! whew ..
the easy movement of the swivel of the cups can affect the imaging if not worn right
so i added more foam to the rear of the earpads..
gave a better FIX on my face :)

i love the tall tall deep deep soundstage... the left n right is less obvious..
v good clarity..vs my recent ad900x..felt no urge to upgrade the cable.
I think this can is here to stay. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #411 of 2,848
Quote:
After years of silent reading it's time to write somthing, and show you my latest mod. I think one disadvantages of these cans  which was frequently mentioned is the lack of a replacebale cable. So I did a little soldering and came up with this. It is a four pin connector and the two contacts which are short cut with a three pin jack are left and right ground. So it is possible to build a cable, or an adapter for a 4 pin 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm klinke cable to run it balanced if needed.

Would love to see a tutorial with photos on how make this mod.
Worried about opening this cans and reassembling them without breaking anything.
Also more details about the 4 pins.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #413 of 2,848
Quote:

Would love to see a tutorial with photos on how make this mod.
Worried about opening this cans and reassembling them without breaking anything.
Also more details about the 4 pins.

is it possible to just snip off the existing TSR and fit in a 4pin XLR...
are there 4 wires inside?  i am a noob when it comes to DIY...but i am gonna give it a go. :p

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #414 of 2,848
Hi everybody, I've come up with a semi-reversible mod to improve the K550's comfort and seal, thereby removing the "hotspot" on top of the head and allowing the K550's to produce the bass I believe they were designed to. If you want to know how the sound changes, simply press the cups to your ear; if you feel like there is an improvement then I think you will like this mod.

All that is required for this mod is some velcro (I chose industrial strength), and a replacement headband cushion for the Sennheiser 600, which can be found on B&H for $9 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886679-REG/Sennheiser_549375_HD_580_Headband.html):

The first step is to cut the velcro to size and put it on the inside of the arms of the K550. I chose to use the soft part of the velcro here, so I wouldn't get scratched if I decide to un-do this mod (I really don't think I will though 
bigsmile_face.gif
 ) :

Next, cut the rough part of the velcro to size and place it at the left and right ends of the replacement cushion. I chose to let the velcro hang down from the band to allow me to have a greater range to adjust the height of the new cushion:

The next part takes a little trial and error. First, increase the length of the original headband a bit and attach the cushion to the K550 using the velcro, and see where the cups are on the side of your head. If they're too high, increase the length of the headband and re-connect the cushion higher on the arms to make the cups sit lower; if too low, decrease the length of the headband and re-connect the cushion lower on the arms (this is why I have the velcro extend the length of the cushion). Just keep playing with this until the cups fit where you want them to:

Finally, put the K550s on and enjoy 
atsmile.gif
 A nice bonus is that if you would like to increase the seal even more, just increase the length of the original headband while leaving the cushion in place: 

If you decide you don't like this mod, all you have to do is remove the cushion, and all you're with is a little velcro on the inside of the arms, which is hardly noticeable. Or, if you can immediately tell you don't like it you can just pull the velcro pads off, since it takes 24 hours for the glue to completely dry.

Finally, this mod works great for me because I have a small head (7 1/4 fitted cap) and can't get a good seal, but I'm not sure how it would work if your head is on the larger side, so YMMV.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #415 of 2,848
^^^ Awesome mod, mangler! I'll have to try this one soon... good job
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #416 of 2,848

Q550 mod...:p

add a 1mm felt over centre circle to reduce the brightness n increase the bass quantity a little... nice tonedown. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #417 of 2,848
Quote:
^^^ Awesome mod, mangler! I'll have to try this one soon... good job
beerchug.gif

Thanks dxanex! Its really changed how I feel about the K550...its way more comfortable now, not just because the hot-spot is gone but also because the cups fit snug and so I don't feel like they are falling off my head anymore. I also really like the change in sound :) I hope you like it if you try it! 

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #418 of 2,848
Quote:

Q550 mod...:p

add a 1mm felt over centre circle to reduce the brightness n increase the bass quantity a little... nice tonedown. 

I want to try this on my K550 and K701 seeing as it appears easy enough, especially to reverse if I don't like it. Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should use as an adhesive? I was honestly thinking just good old fashioned glue stick. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #419 of 2,848
Quote:

is it possible to just snip off the existing TSR and fit in a 4pin XLR...
are there 4 wires inside?  i am a noob when it comes to DIY...but i am gonna give it a go. :p

noob question...are there 4 wires inside the cable?
redface.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #420 of 2,848
Quote:
I want to try this on my K550 and K701 seeing as it appears easy enough, especially to reverse if I don't like it. Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should use as an adhesive? I was honestly thinking just good old fashioned glue stick. 

i cut two tiny double sided tape....
been enjoying the "sound" of this mod, like a hd650 with an AKG flavor. v comfy on the ears. try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back