The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #376 of 2,841
Quote:
I just got mine, liking them alot. you guys got me scared that they wouldnt fit properly and because of that I was expecting a AD700 sized phone, these things are really small. 

What should I do to help the burn in? a can of lighter fluid? (just kidding) But yeah how do you burn in  headphones

I had been kind of treading water with Bose AE2's as my only closed back can until getting these. In comparison the K550s are HUGE. 

Plug them into a source you can run constantly at low levels for as much time as you see fit. Other people have preference for burn-in music mixes or white noise. Personally I prefer passive burn-in, which is just put them on your head, start pumping music through them and listen for changes. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #377 of 2,841
Quote:
I had been kind of treading water with Bose AE2's as my only closed back can until getting these. In comparison the K550s are HUGE. 

Plug them into a source you can run constantly at low levels for as much time as you see fit. Other people have preference for burn-in music mixes or white noise. Personally I prefer passive burn-in, which is just put them on your head, start pumping music through them and listen for changes. 

+1.  I normally relay on passive burn in also. The only thing with that is that the changes in sound could be so incremental that you will not even notice them - memory for sound quality is generally pretty bad overall, but with gradual changes it is even worse. nonetheless the changes do happen, and if you dont care about actually comparing more precisely how the sound changed, just put them on and enjoy. 
Of course, lighter fluid also works! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #378 of 2,841
Quote:
I haven't read through this whole thread, so this may have mentioned before, but I have a mod that I find creates a very good seal and increases the bass level, which I personally found lacking. First, I found the headband length that fits best (for me that is 1), and then I just bent the headband where the arm connects to the headband. When I say bent, I mean really bent:

The headband seems very flexible, strong, and resilient, so this doesn't seem to do any damage (still, do this at your own risk). Plus, the top of the headband is still round and remains very comfortable. 

I think this is different from the other handband bending mod since I'm not squeezing the cups together. Instead, I'm angling the arms in to create a tighter clamp. Since the ear-cups swivel in and out the cups remain flush against your head after you bend the arms. I don't have a tiny head, but it's still pretty small (my fitted hat size is 7 1/4) and this really works for me. After doing this I can finally hear (and feel!) my K550 get down to 12Hz with songs like Kendrick Lamar's "m.A.A.d. City". Plus, every other positive attribute (soundstage, clarity, resolution, etc...) remains in place. 

I was on the fence about keeping these, but this mod, combined with the E17 and its EQ, really makes this headphone a keeper. Of course, I can't end without saying YMMV 
smile.gif

This mod has worked well for me. Thanks for the tip!

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #379 of 2,841
Nothing special about the burn-in. As Cante Ista mentioned, just let the sound mature by itself.
But bringing the sound back to pre-burn-in condition and listen to the changes in tonality in real time is quite amazing. :)
It's like go back to your photo album and look at how yourself changes over the years.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #380 of 2,841
Quote:
I haven't read through this whole thread, so this may have mentioned before, but I have a mod that I find creates a very good seal and increases the bass level, which I personally found lacking. First, I found the headband length that fits best (for me that is 1), and then I just bent the headband where the arm connects to the headband. When I say bent, I mean really bent:

gotcha by 3 week :p

page 23-24
www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/330

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #383 of 2,841

Converted the k550 to dual entry RCA jacks, and using a cable with locking RCA ends so they won't fall out.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #385 of 2,841
Quote:
Hi!
I am looking for nice closed cans over ears headphones for home use.

I tried AKG K550, but their bass is a little low and also does not fit me - my head is not big enough for them and I also wear glasses.

I also tried:
  1. Shure SRH940 & 840 but they are heavy and uncomfortable on top of my head - I liked  their sound;
  2. Sennheiser HD600, but they are open - I was stunned by the sound;
  3. Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO - I did not like their sound;
  4. SONY MDR-1R - they are too bass heavy and with colored sound;
  5. Sony MDR ZX300, but they are not over ear, the sound was ok.

My short list includes “German MAESTRO GMP 8.35 D” and “SoundMagic HP100”. Does any of you tried these or recommend s.th. that sounds like K550 but is more comfortable ?

Best regards,
Stefan

Hello Stefan,
I was in your position just recently and judgeing by the 'phones you've listed are in the same mindset I was. 
I was really interested in these K550s(obviously as I'm still reading up on them), mostly due to the detail and soundstage praise. I have V Moda M80s and Klipsch X5 IEM for portable use and was looking for something that was a cross between these 2 in that it would have more detail than the M80 and more body to the bass than the X5 and more soundstage than both. Unfortunately, what turned me off the AKG was the fit issues and my head isn't that big. This with its already lighter bass(although very good quality) was worrisome. All I can tell you is that it came down to the very two you have listed and I chose the Soundmagic HP100 and I'm VERY pleased. Its got great soundstage much more detail than my M80(probably not quite up to the balanced armature of the X5) a much more neutral headphone compared to the M80 with no upper bass emphasis yet goes way deep to produce serious rumble with electronica(or the heart beat of Dark Side of the Moon). With this bass responce I can hear the detail of the bass much better and generally much cleaner mids also. 
Sorry, I cannot give a direct comparison to the AKG as you asked but I thought I'd pipe up anyways with what I experianced seeing as you and I were in such similar circumstances.

Good luck!
Jake

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #386 of 2,841
does the k550pads  fit on the q701/702 open cans? 

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #388 of 2,841
I think the stock cable is the weakest link on these cans. I love my silver dragon on them, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. The silver really tightened up the presentation and separation. My initial experience with the stock cable was that the bass was bit flabby -- kind of like 1 note bass, but not quite (not sure how to define this). Silver brought out the nuances in the bass region. I really I would recommend recabling with a decent leash when you can.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #390 of 2,841
Quote:
I think the stock cable is the weakest link on these cans. I love my silver dragon on them, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. The silver really tightened up the presentation and separation. My initial experience with the stock cable was that the bass was bit flabby -- kind of like 1 note bass, but not quite (not sure how to define this). Silver brought out the nuances in the bass region. I really I would recommend recabling with a decent leash when you can.

I think people should wait until the reports on sonic differences from alternative cables come from blind ABX tests before investing in such cables.

I do not wish to discredit the experience of those who claim these differences, but they are well within the realms of suggestion and autosuggestion.

I have written a short article on suggestion and autosuggestion and there is a link to this in my signature.

What is not understood is that the human perception of hearing is extremely flexible, it does not behave like a recording machine.

All these issues such as the bass being a bit flabby, the silver bringing nuances etc. these are all well within the realms of autosuggestion.

Autosuggestion is extremely powerful and everyone is susceptible including myself.

This problem exists in the assessment of all Hi Fi components of course.

The way to combat the influence of suggestion or autosuggestion is with blind ABX tests.

I believe that blind ABX testing should form the basis of reviewing Hi Fi equipment in publications (web and print).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back