The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Oct 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #31 of 2,842
I too was looking for a solution for getting a good seal with the AKG K550 with my small head, that's how I stumbled upon this thread originally. I found an even easier solution with rubber bands if anyone is interested here-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630182/an-even-easier-akg-k550-small-head-mod

I won't repeat what's already been said about these cans. They are just fantastic value for the price.

What's most surprising to me is how good they sound unamped. I've found myself using them more and more with just my iPhone than on my home rig. They have great clarity and soundstage even on just my mobile devices! I hope AKG fixes the glaring design flaw in the next version as far as getting a better seal for smaller heads...

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #32 of 2,842
Having a larger head I don't have trouble with clamping force on these either. However, I do hear the resonance issues at the higher frequencies but I don't find them to be all that noticeable. I switched from k701s to these and wouldn't go back but I don't find too many differences between them on my clip+ or my computer with a usb mstage matrix through audirvana unless I use equalizers.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #33 of 2,842
I had an itch to try the K550 so I went over to BestBuy and bought a new pair. Thinking that with my big bone head there would be no problem with fit, I was stunned to find out these were the worst headphones I've ever put on my head. Unbelievable. I have $10 sets of craptacular computer headsets with a much much better clamping systems.

There was no way I was going to bend the band on this brand new set for more force. I returned them a couple hours later. The brief time with listening was good. They sound pretty decent when the cups are pressed against the head (however, too much force gave a bad result), it's a shame they have to be modded for optimum sound quality.

AKG must have used a basketball for sizing reference. I still can't believe how wide they stretch and how little they clamp.

Other phones I have are D5K, HE-400, MS2i, DT880, DT990, T50RP. They all clamp acceptably well to where the sound doesn't change with extra applied force. The K550 changes drastically as it has been stated.

I wanted to give them a good 300 hours but an hour was all I needed to know these would never cut it for me.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #34 of 2,842
I tried these at bestbuy today and found them to be extremely lacking in bass, is this normal?  Not sure if it was because something happened to them as they were a demo pair, but there was absolutely no bass at all to be found.  As for the clamping force I think your pair was defective as the ones I tried felt fine to me and while they did not clamp down on my head hard they definitely feelt good to me so maybe try another pair before completely dismissing them.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #35 of 2,842
Quote:
I tried these at bestbuy today and found them to be extremely lacking in bass, is this normal?  Not sure if it was because something happened to them as they were a demo pair, but there was absolutely no bass at all to be found.  As for the clamping force I think your pair was defective as the ones I tried felt fine to me and while they did not clamp down on my head hard they definitely feelt good to me so maybe try another pair before completely dismissing them.

I wouldn't say that's normal. Could have been a defective pair. There's definitely bass on these. Not bloated and bass-heady type bass, but I can definitely feel it, especially at higher volumes. I actually love the bass on these things...very tight and accurate.

I will say though, that the bass is the first thing to go on the K550 without a proper seal as everyone else has stated.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #36 of 2,842
This isn't a "fit" comment... as I have a large head. (Which is, fortunately, proportional to my body.)

What do you use to power your K550s? I use mine at work. I picked them up as they were a decently priced closed back headphone with a markup that's not too high. I plugged them into the Fiio E9, Shiit Lyr, Audio_gd C2.2, AQ Dragonfly...
For me, they sound best out of the Fiio E17. (When used as a Dac/Amp right out of the PC.)
Perhaps because it pushes the mids a bit more?

What do you guys like to run your K550 out of?

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #38 of 2,842
I've been to BB twice now to try these out and I am really impressed. Average size head here (should probably measure, not sure exactly but def not huge head), but I find these to be extremely comfortable for 10 minutes LOL ... I know I get a good seal because they have plenty of bass and they do make my ears sweaty. I think these are pretty remarkable. I've owned the D2000 two different times, LOVED them, but these AKGs seem much much better in most ways. I plan on buying a pair so I can give a more detailed review/impression but for now I'll say I don't understand anyone complaining about lack of bass or resonant upper mids. They do seem to have a pronounced upper mid/lower treble which I find gives music amazing pop and snap (fingers snaps and hand claps seem to fall in this frequency, which I love) but resonant implies some kind of ringing which I def do not hear. I'm shocked to hear these described as even remotely mid-recessed, to me they're clearly mid centric. Vocals sound really stunning. Bass is perfect IMO, treble seems ... unremarkable? Can't say I get the whole soundstage thing, but I was comparing them to the Senn HD558 and these sounded MORE "open'. Music did sound very BIG through these and very well separated, maybe this is the soundstage. Hope to get them soon and spend much more time with them. Really surprised there isn't more interest in these.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #40 of 2,842
Quote:
This isn't a "fit" comment... as I have a large head. (Which is, fortunately, proportional to my body.)

What do you use to power your K550s? I use mine at work. I picked them up as they were a decently priced closed back headphone with a markup that's not too high. I plugged them into the Fiio E9, Shiit Lyr, Audio_gd C2.2, AQ Dragonfly...
For me, they sound best out of the Fiio E17. (When used as a Dac/Amp right out of the PC.)
Perhaps because it pushes the mids a bit more?

What do you guys like to run your K550 out of?

I generally just use mine straight out of an iPod Touch.  Sounds pretty good to me.

I really wish they'd come with a shorter cable with a right angled plug.  I can't wait for Mouser's shipment to arrive so I can cut off all that excess cable I never, ever use. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #41 of 2,842
Just thought I'd chime in here.  I'm brand new here but lurking on and off.  I decided to finally start "improving" my gear as I was using more budget ways of listening to music.

My equipment prior to the K550's have been:

AKG K240 600Ohm which my brother gave me for a good laugh cause I never knew really how to drive this unit.
Sony MDR-V6
AKG K172HD (got for cheap)
Klipsch Image One (mainly for iPhone and inline control)

and now the K550's.

As for fit:  I never had any luck with the other AKG's that I own for comfort.  Too small.  These fit really well and I'm happy with the fit and comfort that I can listen to these for a long time.  The Sony's aren't bad either as they are much lighter but these sound much nicer.

For listening I have a UCA202 (laptop), Fiio E5 and E11 as well as line out players with my iPhone 4s 64GB, Zune 80GB.

I think these headphones are great sounding for someone like me who is working their way up.  I know that a lot of people here are experienced and able to compare sounds with some pretty impressive hardware but in this price range, these are great sounding.  I still have to work up the vocabulary of all the terminology to describe the various sounds and impressions and looking forward to getting there someday.  In the meantime, I'll be enjoying these while my kids are practicing their instruments or when their friends are over.

Oh and I only had these for a week so I need some more time to see if they improve even more.  I did notice on the K172's that they sounded horrible initially and sound pretty good now but I can't wear them too long.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #42 of 2,842
I spent 30 minutes today in a demo room listening to these. Dreadful lack of bass. I listened to 15 cans and these had the least. Reading the reviews here I was so excited I found a local shop with them in stock.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #44 of 2,842
Yep. But so many say there's tons of bass. Going to have to go back and have another listen.

If I can find the bass, then it's a definite yes. If not I will get the Sennheiser Amperior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back