The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 2,849
I dont know about that bold part but there is good bass. I found that you do need an amp to drive the K550 they sounded kinda meh to me without one. 
Quote:
Yep. But so many say there's tons of bass. Going to have to go back and have another listen.
If I can find the bass, then it's a definite yes. If not I will get the Sennheiser Amperior.

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #47 of 2,849
I'd have to agree, I find that the K550 sounds much better with an amp, I'm using an E17 with mine. I've also tried other amps but the nice bass boost that the E17 has works pretty well with the K550, it helps to offset their somewhat shouty upper midrange and frankly they sound fantastic, truly awesome sound.

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #48 of 2,849
I recall the fit was a little loose. But they were at smallest size. I will be trying them again later in the week. As I have the iPhone 5, the new lightning connector ruins amping at present.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #49 of 2,849
Quote:

i can say there is definitely bass on these headphones, you just need a good fit

That is what I found so annoying about K550. You can literally change the sound drastically with varying degrees of pressure on the cups.

under clamp......weak bass, thin sound
proper clamp.......just right (if only that spot could be held consistently)
over clamp........muddy, bad sound

With HE-400, D5K, or Grado, I don't hear any change applying similar amounts of cup pressure.

IMO, if AKG went to a stiffer pad like HE-400 and a bit stronger clamp, they would be perfect as far as fit goes. The right pad would consistently put the pad at the correct same distance from ear every time.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #50 of 2,849
Quote:
I dont know about that bold part but there is good bass. I found that you do need an amp to drive the K550 they sounded kinda meh to me without one. 

+1 agreement, I wouldn't go as far as to call it "tons of bass" at all. If you're expecting to hear tons of bass through the K550 you are surely going to shed tears of regret. However, I listen to a lot of dubstep/house/techno with them and I still find the bass to be punchy, accurate, and plentiful. Keep in mind that I also love the sound of the AKG K702, so bass quantity has never been at the top of my "must have" list when it comes to a good set of headphones. But make no mistake, if you get a proper fit/seal going on with these, then there be bass in them cans. Seriously, look up my rubber band trick from earlier in this thread, it's worked wonders to help me get a good seal.

Quote:
I recall the fit was a little loose. But they were at smallest size. I will be trying them again later in the week. As I have the iPhone 5, the new lightning connector ruins amping at present.

I too use my K550 directly out of my iPhone 5 and it sounds great to me, so I'd be inclined to disagree that it needs to be amped all the time. AKG designed them to be driven well by mobile devices. However, listening to them off my Little Dot III and HRT Music Streamer II DAC at home, they sound phenomenal. The MSII DAC improves the soundstage making it slightly wider, but much deeper so that some instruments sound somewhat above and below my head, and you can clearly pick out each instrument even on less than perfect recordings. The soundstage is one of the most impressive I've heard on a closed headphone, even more so than my Fischer Audio FA002w's. And the little dot tube amp warms them up like silky butter, and helps roll off some of the shrilly high end frequencies that some people have found unpleasant with the K550. I've also found that these headphones love higher volume levels and really open up when you go a little LOUD. Especially with rock and electronic music, but really all genres I've thrown at them sound great.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I love my K550's. Of course, it's always a matter of preference...

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #51 of 2,849
Quote:

i can say there is definitely bass on these headphones, you just need a good fit

Agreed.
The bass is clean and tight, decent impact, not overemphasized to me... I do like the "rattle your head" impact of cans like Denon... in terms of "rattle your head" it's not that high, but it's there, it's good, and you can hear it well reproduced... you just need a big head, a good fit, or a little tweaking.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #52 of 2,849
Well I have wanted the 550's for AGES! And have been offered a new set for $195. But after reading about them being suitable for people with HUGE noggins. I think I may be left disapointed? My head is of a smaller dimension to most. I may have to stick with the AIAIAI's?

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #53 of 2,849
They are rather large and the headband is oddly shaped but you can bend so it has more of a natural shape. However, if your head is extremely small you might wanna try something else. I don't think i'd compare these to the aiaiais in terms of sound, though. The aiaiais are much darker, what are you looking for?

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #54 of 2,849
So this is the mod I did.. My head is small so the headband bend mod only made the earpads sit lower on my head... -_-

Using cloth Headbands stuff them into the earcup.. start at one end and work your way through!

See the one on the right the headband is in there pretty good...

If you twist the band before you put it in you can barely see it! the one on the left is stuffed already..
Remember start on one end and work your way around... Don't try to make a "C" or a Circle and stuff
it all in at once! Hope this helps some of you out! It worked for me! :) Happy listening my friends!
I bought a pack of headbands it came with like five or so for a few bucks..!

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #55 of 2,849
I guess this is one of the few times I can be happy about having a huge noggin... Right out the box.... just bliss.

I do put my Fiio E11 on eq setting 1 to get a bit more umph out of em but that's fine with me.

I tried on some sunglasses last night with them because these were recommended to a guy on the recommendations thread who wears glasses. I guess if you are a glasses wearer you are pretty much doomed with these? I don't think a seal is possible wearing sunglasses or eyeglasses.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #56 of 2,849
They are rather large and the headband is oddly shaped but you can bend so it has more of a natural shape. However, if your head is extremely small you might wanna try something else. I don't think i'd compare these to the aiaiais in terms of sound, though. The aiaiais are much darker, what are you looking for?

I'm not really looking for anything other than something else and better (goes without saying I guess!). I am actually very tempted to try the Mad Dog 50P's. But am waiting for Dan to sort something out for me. I also need to sell my modded 225's, AIAIAI Studios (the ones I've got in sale thread) and possibly my modded RS-1's (but that is still under debate!) oh and some Ultrasone's. I need to upgrade my motor due to an extending family so the cans have to go! So I think I will keep/buy 2 sets to fulfil my every need (trying to kid myself I know).

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #57 of 2,849
Well I went back for a second audition. I was hot and a bit sweaty which meant I got a good seal.

Result. Cracking sound and bass. Yes bass. And very good too. Very impressed now.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #58 of 2,849
Quote:
I'm not really looking for anything other than something else and better (goes without saying I guess!). I am actually very tempted to try the Mad Dog 50P's. But am waiting for Dan to sort something out for me. I also need to sell my modded 225's, AIAIAI Studios (the ones I've got in sale thread) and possibly my modded RS-1's (but that is still under debate!) oh and some Ultrasone's. I need to upgrade my motor due to an extending family so the cans have to go! So I think I will keep/buy 2 sets to fulfil my every need (trying to kid myself I know).

It'd be hard to top those rs1s in this price range but have you looked into the he400s? On the best sub 500 headphone thread they seem to agree that the best at this price point are the hd650s/600s and the hifiman he400 though I've never tried either headphone. Where'd you get the wooden cups? I have some 225s and I'd really like to put wooden cups on them but can't seem to find the place that sells them anymore...

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #59 of 2,849
 It'd be hard to top those rs1s in this price range but have you looked into the he400s? On the best sub 500 headphone thread they seem to agree that the best at this price point are the hd650s/600s and the hifiman he400 though I've never tried either headphone. Where'd you get the wooden cups? I have some 225s and I'd really like to put wooden cups on them but can't seem to find the place that sells them anymore...

I'm looking at closed backs. Got the cups from bilavideo on here about a year or so ago I think?

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #60 of 2,849
Quote:
I'm looking at closed backs. Got the cups from bilavideo on here about a year or so ago I think?

I see, thanks. You could try the beyer dt1350s, sennheiser hd 25s or amperiors I guess. As far as closed back goes, the k550s are probably the ones I like the most but it seems a lot of companies want to put out higher end closed back headphones to jump on the beats phenomenon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back