The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #2,596 of 2,848
I just noticed Brainwavz now sells the XL pads in micro suede. That puts the number of Brainwavz pad material choices at six.

Anybody try them on the K55x or have a guess how they might compare to the other materials?

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,597 of 2,848
I just noticed Brainwavz now sells the XL pads in micro suede. That puts the number of Brainwavz pad material choices at six.

Anybody try them on the K55x or have a guess how they might compare to the other materials?
I have the ovals in micro suede and I like the material a lot. If/when they produce the angled ovals in micro suede I'll definitely get a pair to try out versus the leather and the pleather.

I think everyone's tired of my saying this, but I have tried a bunch of the Brainwavz pads and I find the angled ovals closest to stock in terms of sound, and they're the ones I'd recommend - but in leather or pleather only.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,598 of 2,848
Reading some reviews on Amazon.com for the pads I'm after, some say they noticeably boost the treble. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B072PPPWBF

That is one thing i notices with the XL ones. Looks like many are saying it is a bit of a stretch to put them on, but still is possible.

My mark 3s did not even come with any foam disc come to think about it, but I believe my mark 1s did.

Yes be really slow and careful when your stretching, I went to do it on the original pleathers and also the ones I got HCG company those AKG 3rd party pad sellers and still managed to tear them slightly when going around the cup. Brainwavz leather rounded XL ones no issues, the quality is much better with leather, not sure about pleather strength though !

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #2,599 of 2,848
Tried comparing my original K550 pleather pads to my brainwavz leather XL pads in sound isolation and the originals were a little better, but I believe this is due to the inner size being 55mm vs the 65mm on my brainwavz leather XL pads.

Am glad that is the case since isolation is important to me, its still no where as good as the sound isolation on my soundmagic e10 ear phones they must block out at least 80% noise when in my ears but obviously massive difference in SQ (K550s much better due to full size hps)

Jan 22, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #2,600 of 2,848
The thing that I'm most concerned about is sound leakage. Don't want the public sitting next to me on buses hearing what I listen too. The Brainwavz 65mm pads were noticeably a bit worse than the originals for this. But when i fitted the pads around the metal ring rather than the plastic part, that stopped that being as bad. My main concern is that the smaller Brainwavz pads won't be able to do this. But given how stretchy the pleather pads I've just got are, i might just about be able to manage this.

I also noticed these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...=item3d3c0fa4f9:g:JHcAAOSwLJ9aJUl4:rk:31:pf:0

The issue is that IMO, they are a rather horrid colour! But the design of them looks identical to Brainwavz and may only be cheaper because of where it ships from.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,601 of 2,848
The AKG 550s do leak a fair bit but guess it depends on the sound volume, I placed my K550s on a folded pillow to try and create that seal and ran spotify playlist at fun listening volumes and was surprised to still hear it quite well even a meter away. But if I reduce that volume by 20-30% its not as fun or enjoyable but not as much leakage. You can try and replicate the seal by putting your hands over the inner part and then hear the leakage if you don't have anyone around to check for you too.

Even went to other rooms in my place it appears even a good 5-7 metres away I could just about hear it at fun volumes which was disappointing since I like to enjoy music and tv @ night.

Have you tried earphones ? my soundmagic e10s the isolation is incredible, you can literally place a finger lightly over the top and not hear anything even on a decent loud volume. I tried other high end ear phones such as the Fidu A73s and they leaked much worse in comparison.

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,602 of 2,848
I have never liked the feel of in ear headphons. I only like full size over ear.

From tests i've done, even the amount of hair you have can effect the seal. If you don't have much, laying the K550s flat on a table and putting a biit of pressure on the cups is a pretty accurate test of how much sound they would leak when wearing them. I just noticed that doing this, they do block a lot, but the originals are a bit better.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,603 of 2,848
I use to hate the silicon tips feel of ear phones, but I tried the comply memory foam tips and its perfect on the commute. But I get it when you want to enjoy your music its nicer to have the superior option and nothing beats the full size over ear cups.

Yeah that's a good way to test it on the table will try it out, trying to work out the best max volume so no one can hear I am listening to katy perry roulette :wink:

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #2,604 of 2,848
well, mk3 awesome, more i listen it, more i love it!
I used freq from mk2 to tune EQ (and stabilize a bit) in my PMP:

So actually i use (for Cowon J3):
+2 dB, 80Hz, narrow
+3 dB, 385Hz, wide
+5 dB, 1.4kHz, wide
+3 dB, 4.1 kHz, normal
-2 dB, 6.9kHz, narrow

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,605 of 2,848
I use to hate the silicon tips feel of ear phones, but I tried the comply memory foam tips and its perfect on the commute. But I get it when you want to enjoy your music its nicer to have the superior option and nothing beats the full size over ear cups.

Yeah that's a good way to test it on the table will try it out, trying to work out the best max volume so no one can hear I am listening to katy perry roulette :wink:

This thread is going to end up having many pages about ear pads! I have now got the 55mm brainwavz earpads and they don't seem to be what I was expecting. The diameter of the middle is more like 52. Fair enough it does say it can vary, but it feels so tight compared to the originals. I think that this is because these effectively have corners and flat edges. Whereas the originals are rounded on the inside and out. So it is only 55mm at one point. Where as these are all the way down for nearly 3mm. I don't like this feeling. They do sound good though. But like reviews said, they only just fit. The other big issue is the amount of sound they leak. I'm wondering if them being stretched has opened the stitching holes a bit. puttong them flat on my desk and playing something shows that they are very bad at this. The XL pads are good if they get wrapped round the back of the metal ring on the headphones.

As I've only very briefly used these, I think I will return them. But I really do hate returning things when I know it is just my preference. But this is the problem with online shopping taking over everything. More and more shops where you can actually see stuff are closing down now. So Amazon should accept a return.

What I think I will do is take the XL pads off my original K550s and see if I can get used to them on my MKIIIs. If that is the case, I will probably get another set of those.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #2,606 of 2,848
This thread is going to end up having many pages about ear pads! I have now got the 55mm brainwavz earpads and they don't seem to be what I was expecting. The diameter of the middle is more like 52. Fair enough it does say it can vary, but it feels so tight compared to the originals. I think that this is because these effectively have corners and flat edges. Whereas the originals are rounded on the inside and out. So it is only 55mm at one point. Where as these are all the way down for nearly 3mm. I don't like this feeling. They do sound good though. But like reviews said, they only just fit. The other big issue is the amount of sound they leak. I'm wondering if them being stretched has opened the stitching holes a bit. puttong them flat on my desk and playing something shows that they are very bad at this. The XL pads are good if they get wrapped round the back of the metal ring on the headphones.

As I've only very briefly used these, I think I will return them. But I really do hate returning things when I know it is just my preference. But this is the problem with online shopping taking over everything. More and more shops where you can actually see stuff are closing down now. So Amazon should accept a return.

What I think I will do is take the XL pads off my original K550s and see if I can get used to them on my MKIIIs. If that is the case, I will probably get another set of those.

I know its not nice but gotta be done sometimes to return things, even my brainwavz XLs were off by 2-3mm.

That is the issue AKG original pleathers were good in some ways, comfy, soft and rounded on inside like one cushion piece but it flakes worst then a cadbury flake bar I was genuinely
scared to wipe down my pads in fear it would wear it out more.

I have these ones also here from asia a 3rd party AKG K550 pads:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ear-Pad-...m=181804982070&_trksid=p2045573.c100642.m3226

Not bad there rounded also, not sure about inside space but I can check for you if you want?

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #2,607 of 2,848
I checked those inner dimensions of the above ebay cheap replacement pads there 55-56mm give or take, the pleather is higher quality then the originals from what I can tell but they are also slightly more harder material not as cushy and bouncy soft as the originals.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #2,608 of 2,848
Jan 25, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,609 of 2,848
Hi all..have a set of the first version AKG 550's that unfortunately my son snapped the headband trying to get a good fit..(don't ask) If anyone needs them for parts they are up for grabs..FOG once in Europe. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,610 of 2,848

Users who are viewing this thread

Back