The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
May 3, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,056 of 2,844
The K550s have really grown on me. I would like a little more bass, but I am admittedly a bit of a basshead and compared to the K702s there is a lot more low end. But the soundstage is really nice for a closed back and the detail is everything I would expect from AKG. 

May 5, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,057 of 2,844
Got the k550 today.

The way is presents it's self isn't like my other 15 headphones.

I just like the way the bass is as well.. sub bass and punching or whatever and a nice clear sound and everything else.

but not everybody's cup of tea but certainly mine.

bought that many headphones on my own headphone quest and really the akg k550 are a favourite of mine.

For many reasons why they are amongst my most favourite headphone.

May 7, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #2,058 of 2,844

Well, I am in the midst of suffering through Head-Fi "Hell".  My AKG 550s arrived today, and are in the process of burning in.  My AKG 545s arrived on Monday and are burning in nicely as well.  The torture is THE WAIT.  I want to pit them against each other in an A/B head-to-head, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait until this weekend to start that project.  It's like having all your toys downstairs waiting for you at Christmas/Chanukah/Whatever and you can't play with any of them until after you come back from visiting with family....  Sucks.

I'm hooking them up to my ASGARD 2 for the main evaluation, but will also test them both out with my iFi iDSD Micro, FIIO e17, and straight from my iPhones/iPads to see if they respond differently.

When I cheat-listened to both while setting up their song loops, they both put me in the mindset of the Grado SR225e set I had, VERY detail revealing, but the treble wasn't QUITE as pronounced, (Read as HARSH) to my ears as the Grados were, and both are infinitely more comfortable.  I guess I have a big head as neither set seemed to present a problem when it came to getting a good seal.

Can't wait to see what music I'll like the best with them.  I'm used to my HD-650s when critically listening, but I'm hoping that the AKGs will strike a balance between the fullness of my HD-650s and the fun/responsiveness of my Koss Porta-Pros.  (One of the most under-valued headphones I've ever listened to...)

I can already tell that the soundstage of both are larger than any of my other closed back headphones.  And they isolate sound pretty well unlike my Porta-Pros or my HD-650s.

Man, is it Sunday Yet?!?!? 

May 7, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,059 of 2,844
  Got the k550 today.

The way is presents it's self isn't like my other 15 headphones.

I just like the way the bass is as well.. sub bass and punching or whatever and a nice clear sound and everything else.

but not everybody's cup of tea but certainly mine.

bought that many headphones on my own headphone quest and really the akg k550 are a favourite of mine.

For many reasons why they are amongst my most favourite headphone.

Best explanation I've heard!  I come from mostly "dark" (HD-650s) or bass-heavy headphones, (JVC HA-M55x, JVC HA-SZ2000, Photive PH-BTX6, and VMODA Bass Freqs) heck, even my Koss Porta-Pros seem to have a healthy amount of low end.
I really am looking forward to having headphones that will offer more detail and balance for critical listening.  I thought the Grados were going to fit the bill, but they just weren't right for me.  Looking forward to saying that I've found what I've been looking for.
While I'm still waiting for them to burn-in, I can say that what little I heard would be characterized by me as Bass "punch" as you said, but not Bass "kick" like the HD-650s or Porta-Pros.  And definitely not bass "THUMP" like the HA-SZ2000 dole-out without trying.  

May 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,060 of 2,844
Just bought these at a nice price last week.  So far, my best pair of over the ear.  I really love them.  Better for me than the HD 598 (open was not for me, but the K550 sound better for me, better bass, very cool imaging) and way better than ATH M50 (more smooth, better balance and a bit less harsh).

I am using them with various sources, but ipod classic + Fiio e6 sounds awesome with these.

May 27, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,061 of 2,844
I have had these headphones for two years now, and they still sound quite good. They are a bit lacking in the bass, but deliver excellent results on the mid and high frequencies so I'm still happy with them.

Only thing is I managed to bend my jack plug so it drops out every now and then when I move the headphones. So I'll be changing out those, and I'm curious about just changing out the entire cable when I'm at it. I just have to figure out a way to keep the mic on them while still mounting on a thicker cable with paracord (because paracord is awesome).

I'll have a look through the thread and see for some disassembly pics and pointers on how to disassemble them.

May 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,062 of 2,844
I've had mine since they first came out, a little over 3 years and they still sound as great as when I first bought them. Nice neutral, clean and clear sound. My earpads have gone through a lot though, so I called them this afternoon and they're shipping a new pair to me. Also, since the exterior is made out of some matte-like plastic, it's gotten sticky after all these years.I tried to use an alcohol pad to clean it, but it didn't help at all, so there's that too. Overall, still happy about deciding to go with these headphones!

May 27, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,063 of 2,844
I've had my K550 for almost 2 years. They're my only closed cans and they serve that purpose very well. It's the only time I use them and only with an OTL amplifier. Otherwise, they're hardly listenable to my ears: shrill, peaky, congested, overly lean, way too much upper mids, little body. But, an OTL fills in a lot of the gaps. Can't stand them with either my Vio V200 or my Meier Concerto. I've heard the K550 described as a closed K701/2. That's like saying a Yaris is a closed roof version of a S2000. Don't get me wrong; I think the K550 properly fed is a decent headphone. It's just something I wouldn't recommend for the reasons above.

May 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,064 of 2,844
  I've had mine since they first came out, a little over 3 years and they still sound as great as when I first bought them. Nice neutral, clean and clear sound. My earpads have gone through a lot though, so I called them this afternoon and they're shipping a new pair to me. Also, since the exterior is made out of some matte-like plastic, it's gotten sticky after all these years.I tried to use an alcohol pad to clean it, but it didn't help at all, so there's that too. Overall, still happy about deciding to go with these headphones!

The sticky plastic issue has been discussed before. I have this problem with these headphones after a few months of using them in Brasil. I have a pair in Canada that is fine after a couple of years. I am convinced the sticky plastic issue is climate and humidity related (and may be worse if you live by the ocean, with a higher salt content in the air). It's not just headphones. I have experienced this on all kinds of plastic in Brasil, from remote controls to computer mice. Yet the same products hold up fine in Canada. Whether alcohol works sometimes depends on the type of plastic. Lighter fluid sometimes works, as well. Most of the time I give up and sometimes cover parts I need to touch with clear plastic film. Nothing is worse than a sticky computer mouse. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,065 of 2,844
Just picked up a pair of these on an impulse as I need a closed back once in a while…they won’t replace my HD700s but are a nice compliment... besides the clarity and staging for a closed back … and they may be a bit finicky to get a proper seating but take the time to get a correct seal and the base extension and body can be quite phenomenal.

and..I must say I actually find them more appealing/intriguing than my previous K712s/K701s…different sound signature obviously, not as airy being a closed back phone but imaging is more precise/distinct, crisper highs and as I said once properly fitted…the base does ......reach into the neither regions.
….my new movie phones.
smile.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,066 of 2,844
Nice to hear that you've taken a liking to yours! I like mine as well,but I keep jumping between the k550s and my k545 depending on the listening source and my mood. I didn't think I would take the k550s on my trips, but it turns out that I do. I just store them in my bag until I need them whereas I leave my k545s and Koss PortaPros out/in my laptop bag for easy access. The cable length for me isn't nearly as big a deal for travel as I thought it would be.

Not as "analytical" as say the Grado 225e that I had, but I find the k550s (and k545s) much easier to listen to, and infinitely more comfortable.

I also agree that they will never replace my HD-650s. But that is a different animal in terms of responsiveness entirely to my ears. I'd never listen to heavy metal/speed metal or fast tempo, "energetic" music through my HD-650s as 1st choice. But I think the AKGs are great with that type of up-tempo music. But I don't think they can touch the HD-650s with deep, complex, and sweeping immersive music.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,067 of 2,844
Duplicate post

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,068 of 2,844
http://m.ebay.com/itm/King-Size-DIY-Bass-Plus-Soft-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-AKG-K550-K551-K553-Headphones-/261886607985?nav=SEARCH anyone try these?

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,069 of 2,844
No, I can't say that I have.  And while they may SOUND awesome, to me, they just LOOK "wrong" when it comes to either my K550s or my K545s...

The scrunchy-garbage bag look just doesn't fit my image of these headphones.  Clean, minimal lines meet bunched-up gathers.  LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back