The AKG Infomation Thread
Apr 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #95 of 231

Quote:
My K550s just came in today. I've been listening to them for about an hour and a half straight, and I'm pretty impressed. They're pretty solid without being heavy and they're extremely comfy. 

Hopefully your working on a detailed review, for future posting?

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #97 of 231
Today I was watching a TV show, American Weed (medical documentary), they had scene at a local radio station, where two speakers were giving opposing views,
The radio host and the two speakers were all wearing AKG 240 headphones (gold trim), they were all missing the gold plate on one side, so I could not tell if they were 600-Ohm or 55-Ohm versions.

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #99 of 231

Quote:
Blu-tack and toilet paper.

Measurements with artificial ear.

Works decent enough. Not quite the same, but what is.

I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to again, having given the DF back its bass, run into the problem that they sound a bit muffled. It was the same with the original sound port filters. I find myself wanting sparkle. For now I'm content with using the DF without any sound port filters at all, for low-volume listening. Good for that.

Bass response and masking effect...

I don't know why you got the DF240 if you want more bass? Open up the wax hole, but then you loose some clarity.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #100 of 231
I assume that by saying "masking effect" you mean that the bass is overpowering the other frequencies and that leads me to find the sound muffled? Or am I interpreting that wrong? Thing is, as you say, there isn't much bass on the DF to begin with, so I'm not sure how strongly that would/should mask anything... on a pair of reference phones anyway.

I'm not sure if you know the reason for my having toilet paper on the DF baffle? It had damaged sound port filters, which I took out to prevent a channel imbalance from hindering the imaging. But taking out the filters also takes out the bass, literally takes it out. So it's not so much that I wanted more bass per se there; I wanted to match the original frequency response, more or less.

The reason I got the DF was to measure its response in comparison to some other phones.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #103 of 231

Quote:
... So which version of the K240/1/2 does everyone prefer?

I do not believe there is much, if any, sound difference between the current K240, K240MKII & K242HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back