The AKG Infomation Thread
Mar 21, 2012 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 231

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
AKG K702, Q701, K701, K601, K550, K272HD, H271, K270MKII, K242HD, K240MKII, K240 Studio, K240M, K240DF, K240 Sextett, K172, K171, K170, K142, K141, K140, etc.

As the proud owner of an AKG K240M Monitor 600-Ohm headphone (and soon to add a AKG K242HD to my collection).
I think it would be great to have a thread to pool knowledge about everything AKG.
One function for this thread is to figure out what headphones amplifiers (tube, solid state, sound card, etc) work best with which model AKG headphone.
Or which models are still made in Austria and which are now made in China (personally I do not care).
So please, post your questions, or just start a discussion about something AKG.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 231
My AKG K242HD (same as K240?) arrived about three hours ago, works well with my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver, Essence STX, E11, and decently well with my Muse EH 6922 tube amp.
Nice mid range.
But I'm not sure about other tube amps.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 231
I believe all new AKG's are China made.  My K601s certainly are as are all my other new ones. 

One thing I find interesting about AKG is despite their heritage the top of the line headphone is relatively inexpensive compared to Sennheiser,  Beyerdynamic ect.  Not saying this is a bad thing just that I'm sure they could produce a T1/HD800 rival if they wanted. Is the K701 really a high end headphone?  I've not heard it or any other flagship so I cannot comment.  For all I know it is comparable to the HD800.

Also regarding the K240 and how it was once the flagship and highly regarded but is now further down the line despite remaining very popular.  Why did AKG not just use their best driver in the K240?  I'm wondering if it was due to limitations of the original design?

Just thought I would throw up some discussion points.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 231

Quote:
How do your K242 compare against the monitors?

K242HD (55-Ohm) verses K240M 600-Ohm,
They both sound good, they both have good mid range.
The K240M have a clarity and presents to them, I'm switching headphones while listening to 1812 Overture, it's video recording with streaming paintings of the battle.
Guess I should invest in the Classical music CDs for a clearer signal for testing.
I really need to take time to do indepth testing, like comparing the bass.
I picked up three pairs of K240 velour ear pads, one set is going to the K240Ms.
Guess I'll go out right now for the CDs.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 231
Hopefully this is a good place to ask (many) questions about AKG stuff.
A friend owed me $180 and offered me an AKG Q701 headphone as payment, the headphone seem as what I see as in great shape and they come with the original box, he got them as a Christmas present, so I guess it makes them 4 months old and he said he can get me the sale receipt in a day or two, which I guess I would need for whatever is left on the warranty.
And the deal is not finalised unless he gets me the sales receipt.
I'm guessing I'm getting a fair deal, unless some here can tell me otherwise?

Another buddy said he has a spare DAC that I can use (borrow) for now.
So I guess I need to get a desktop AC powered headphone amplifier?
What could I get for between $100-$200? (prefer closer to $100).

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 231
What source(s) are you using?

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 231
I have the K240MKll, Sextett and K702. The reply above by PurpleAngel asks what sources are you using?

All three models that I have must be driven by a good amp or they are bland and flat (to me).

I will go out an a limb here ans suggest the Indeed G3 tube amp. You can find them on Ebay. It is a hybrid tube with solid state outputs.

It has a LOUDNESS tone boost for low volume listening that works rather well.

Beyond that the choices are wide and varied.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 231
I'm be listening to music from my Win Vista computer, I'll be using (borrowing) a UCB DAC.
The guy I'm getting the Q701 from said a tube amplifier is not the best choice for Q701, but does a hybrid make a difference?
I found the Indeed G3 on eBay, it looks like the G2 is cheaper, is there much of a difference (G3 vs G2)?

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 231

Quote:
I believe all new AKG's are China made.  My K601s certainly are as are all my other new ones. 

Both of my recently purchased Q701's were made in Austria.

Similar vintage downline cans were made in China.

While the manufacturing move to China may have benefits for the customer, especially as AKG climbs the learning curve, I prefer the well tested Austrian built cans--certainly for the time being.  It may just be the models involved, but the build on my Chinese made K 240 Studios are of a much lower build/materials quality than my Q 701's.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 231
I recently (week ago) purchased the K601 model. It's manufactured in China. I don't have any complaints about the quality, but then again I don't have the Austrian model sitting next to me to compare it to. Still if there would be some issues with the China version I would have noticed them. So I don't think it matters that much where your cans are made.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 231

Quote:

Both of my recently purchased Q701's were made in Austria.

Similar vintage downline cans were made in China.

While the manufacturing move to China may have benefits for the customer, especially as AKG climbs the learning curve, I prefer the well tested Austrian built cans--certainly for the time being.  It may just be the models involved, but the build on my Chinese made K 240 Studios are of a much lower build/materials quality than my Q 701's.

That is interesting.  I'm sure some K701s are made in China.  Who knows maybe just the Q701s are made in Austria now.  I'm happy enough with all of my AKGs though my vintage K141 ARE of a higher quality than my Mk2s though I put this down to them being from a different era and technically a different headphone despite their name.  That only leaves quality control as surely a 240S from Austria and one from China are built using the same materials in a factory using the same machinery.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 231
I'm going to guess AKG will keep making the Q701 in Austria, I would assume people would pay more for headphones that say "Made in Austria", then "Made in China".

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 231

Quote:
That is interesting.  I'm sure some K701s are made in China.  Who knows maybe just the Q701s are made in Austria now.  I'm happy enough with all of my AKGs though my vintage K141 ARE of a higher quality than my Mk2s though I put this down to them being from a different era and technically a different headphone despite their name.  That only leaves quality control as surely a 240S from Austria and one from China are built using the same materials in a factory using the same machinery.

I'm not so sure.  While so good products come out of China, so does a lot of crap.  Dog food anyone?

China is not the most free of countries and usually insists that things be done, at least in large part, their way.  It would be interesting to compare an Austrian made K 240 Studio (which folks were still getting as late as last year) with mine or another made in China.  Comparing the build and material quality of my 240 to a significantly less expensive Superlux HD668B, also made in China, they are essentially the same.  I can't see my 240 withstanding 5 or 10 years of studio use and abuse like the old ones could (or so I have heard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back