The AK320 thread
Dec 5, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #106 of 743
  the Hugo is not a clear step up from the Mojo,i have both....the Hugo does some things and provides some connections that the Mojo does not but sound wise and power wise they are incredibly close and the mojo is so portable....both of them are far better IMHO than the expensive 380 and i imagine the 320...personally i think a used 120 Titan with the mojo is better sounding and holds more music and of course is a fraction of the price....at least in the case of the 380 

What is your experience with the AK380 and AK320? Have you done a side to side comparison with the Hugo and/or Mojo? What were the headphones you used for your comparison?

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #109 of 743
  any chance 320 may be a Christmas present?
visiting *HK* end-Dec.
help, wrt: *where to buy* would be great... TQ

I got mine from Mingo for a price cheaper than the official retail price in HK
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #112 of 743
How much did you get it for? Sound impression please?

TQVM 
gs1000.gif

will give them a call when in HK.

enjoying the 320?

Not sure whether I could tell the exact price here. But I used the money that I saved to buy the Fitear 006B cable from Jaben on the same day 
wink.gif

Overall very impressed and happy with the sound as an upgrade from my old AK120. I have only used for a few days, but I feel it's less warm than the AK120, but with more clear bass. Sorry I am not expert in describing sounds 
redface.gif

UI is smooth but quite different than the AK120, need some time to familiar with it 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #113 of 743

Not sure whether I could tell the exact price here. But I used the money that I saved to buy the Fitear 006B cable from Jaben on the same day 
wink.gif

Overall very impressed and happy with the sound as an upgrade from my old AK120. I have only used for a few days, but I feel it's less warm than the AK120, but with more clear bass. Sorry I am not expert in describing sounds 
redface.gif

UI is smooth but quite different than the AK120, need some time to familiar with it 
biggrin.gif

interesting that you already have it.
A&K told me that they will ship out goods mid december (hopefully).

hope to get some more impressions soon.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #114 of 743
I also took delivery of my AK320 already..

IMO, AK380 is better in performance - in areas of sound staging, bass articulation and separation, but it has a different presentation. Many people have asked me if AK380 is worth double the price.. well, it's similar to the jump between AK120II and AK240 in the past and which I feel is significant, but which others may not. AK320's performance is already very good and probably enough for most people.

Comparing to old flagship, I feel AK320 is better than AK240 in performance, but those who prefer AK240 may prefer AK380 instead due to a more similar presentation which is more on the relaxed side. Those who prefer AK120II may prefer AK320 - it's a more neutral presentation and I feel conveys energy better. I belong to the second group and own both AK120II and AK320 rather than the other (price is not an issue).

Not sure why people are comparing Hugo here, although I also have one. I don't feel Mojo is that close actually, but if you are using a phone as a transport, probably the difference is not that great. DAVE is quite a lot better than the two.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #115 of 743
I also took delivery of my AK320 already..

IMO, AK380 is better in performance - in areas of sound staging, bass articulation and separation, but it has a different presentation. Many people have asked me if AK380 is worth double the price.. well, it's similar to the jump between AK120II and AK240 in the past and which I feel is significant, but which others may not. AK320's performance is already very good and probably enough for most people.

Comparing to old flagship, I feel AK320 is better than AK240 in performance, but those who prefer AK240 may prefer AK380 instead due to a more similar presentation which is more on the relaxed side. Those who prefer AK120II may prefer AK320 - it's a more neutral presentation and I feel conveys energy better. I belong to the second group and own both AK120II and AK320 rather than the other (price is not an issue).

Not sure why people are comparing Hugo here, although I also have one. I don't feel Mojo is that close actually, but if you are using a phone as a transport, probably the difference is not that great. DAVE is quite a lot better than the two.

As a lover of my own AK120ii, is this a genuine upgrade? Obviously, with the Amp it will be, but as two standalone units, how do they really compare?

Does anyone else feel the need to listen to their equipment while reading about new gear, as a constant reminder of just how good they already have it? :cool:

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #116 of 743
As a lover of my own AK120ii, is this a genuine upgrade? Obviously, with the Amp it will be, but as two standalone units, how do they really compare?

Does anyone else feel the need to listen to their equipment while reading about new gear, as a constant reminder of just how good they already have it? :cool:

Do you like the 240 over ur 120ii? If yes the 320 is for you

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #117 of 743
Funny as the reviews I've read in South Korea say that the AK320 sounds like the direct upgraade to the AK120ii and not a downgrade of the AK380 or AK240.

I guess a lot of folks in Korea feel like the AK120ii sounds a little different from the AK240. It's brighter, snappier, edgy, with a smaller soundstage and less 3D holographic sound, and less bass texture/depth compared to the AK240.

This is all just hearsay of course. Some early impressions I got from reading about half-dozen people's blogs who attended the official AK320 unveiling event put on by iRiver seem to indicate this so far. And everyone seems to agree that it is still an upgrade over the AK240 and certainly the AK120ii, but that the AK240 sound more similar to the AK380 in terms of tuning and the AK320 sounds more like the AK120ii

Just food for thought.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #118 of 743
I wouldn't use terms like 'brighter, snappier, edgy' for the AK120II or AK320. I don't think these descriptions are wrong per se, but it's a matter of perspective on what is your preference - for example, I would say that the AK240 has a smooth sound, which I felt is smooth to the point that it blurred or overlapped some of the transients, and music also does not have the same sense of excitement or energy. Conversely, if you like that type of smooth sound, you'd find that just nice for you.

Quote:

Does anyone else feel the need to listen to their equipment while reading about new gear, as a constant reminder of just how good they already have it?
cool.gif

Yes I feel it is a genuine upgrade. I was never 100% satisfied with the AK120II as the performance was slightly below what I wanted, particularly in the bass and 'energy' section.

You are right that we do already have it pretty good, but all of us have different expectations given our listening experiences, other gear, and the size of the wallet.

Rather than dissecting what is preferred or not preferred about a piece of equipment, nowadays I evaluate on a holistically and see if I am enjoying the music or toe-tapping more. If the answer is no, no matter how technically superior, bigger the soundstage, or more details I can hear, I don't think it's a step up. It would be like eating an expensive meal, which is an experience for sure, but which you might not enjoy more. Just IMO.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #119 of 743
Rather than dissecting what is preferred or not preferred about a piece of equipment, nowadays I evaluate on a holistically and see if I am enjoying the music or toe-tapping more. If the answer is no, no matter how technically superior, bigger the soundstage, or more details I can hear, I don't think it's a step up. It would be like eating an expensive meal, which is an experience for sure, but which you might not enjoy more. Just IMO.

Nicely put. I do the same thing.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #120 of 743

Yes I feel it is a genuine upgrade. I was never 100% satisfied with the AK120II as the performance was slightly below what I wanted, particularly in the bass and 'energy' section.

You are right that we do already have it pretty good, but all of us have different expectations given our listening experiences, other gear, and the size of the wallet.

now i am confused does the ak320 have more bass than ak120ii or less

I am looking to upgrade and more bass is always welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back