The AK320 thread
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #91 of 743
sad that forums are being overran by repeated rants after rants about value, worth etc by the same few.

brands did not hold anyone hostage, willing buyer, willing seller.

should have a dedicated thread just for rants.

What's really funny is that if people don't like a product, whether it be value for money or UI or design, why are they following the thread?

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #92 of 743
What's really funny is that if people don't like a product, whether it be value for money or UI or design, why are they following the thread?

I thought threads were for discussing products, the good and bad.

The AK320 isn't even out yet so most posts (not all) are speculation and anticipation. However, if we can't express disagreement with a manufacturer's decision regarding confirmed details for a new product (especially if those manufacturers follow head-fi) why have the thread at all?

I try to follow A&K products and forums. That's how I found out about the Jr. and bought one. Always hope to see the next great development but sometimes feel like their decisions make no sense or they think we are all stupid.

Either way, I will grant the wishes of those who want more room in this thread reserved ONLY for positives.

Unsubbed.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #93 of 743
had a chance to listen to ak320, ak380, ak240 (first time listening) today at a local exhibition.

comparing ak240 to ak320, i prefer ak320. maybe i have a synergy preference for akm dac.

somehow i feel ak380 sounds better than ak320, mp3, flac or dsd. just slightly wider, dynamic range. music sounds stronger.
because i believe it is the power of duralumin on ak380. while holding it, i see ak380 oozing out a purple aura awesomeness that gives me this great feeling when listening to it.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #94 of 743
Listened to AK380 and the new 320 side by side this morning - same music, same IEM (JH Angie), same volume setting - and I can't really tell them apart sonically.

I am out now, so pics will come tonight.
Since I trust your ears and the internals are identical, it means the AK marketing saying the signature was closer to AK240 was bull crap.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #95 of 743
Since I trust your ears and the internals are identical, it means the AK marketing saying the signature was closer to AK240 was bull crap.

Because of firmware. When you asked them the question AK380 was on 1.17, when ClieOS listened to it AK380 was on 1.18 (AK320's might have changed too). AK380 on 1.17 definitely sounded more delicate than AK320, in that sense AK320's SQ was closer to that of AK240.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #96 of 743
I think the fact that it can potentially approach the quality of the AK380 sound, and sound similar is very hopeful for the AK320. That means with future firmware upgrades that are for sure coming, the AK320 may ultimately sound very very close to the AK380

Some of the first impressions of the AK320 seems to say that it is what the 120ii was to the 240, which is a cheaper version of the AK380 that sounds similar but not exactly the same. If what AK is saying is correct, shouldn't it sound identical when not playing DSD? It's the same internal parts/layout as the AK380, other than the housing. The difference must be the grounding of the Duralium vs Aluminum, like their SS version vs. Duralium

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #97 of 743
I hope AK will update the Jr (which I bought Las month and love) , single 4490 dac with a digital out would be a great improvement Imo , then it could be paired with mojo instead of my Sony A15.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #98 of 743
No one that excited about this release? I heard the AK380 at local dealer and it blew me away, the dual AKM dac and amp section is stunning, the chance to get that sound at half the price is a bargain Imo.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #99 of 743
No one that excited about this release? I heard the AK380 at local dealer and it blew me away, the dual AKM dac and amp section is stunning, the chance to get that sound at half the price is a bargain Imo.

If it had two microSD slots and didn't rely on the completely half-assed Android File Transfer application, and had sorted the SE headphone impedance I'd have been all over it.  Though it would spend at least half of its working life as a transport rather than a full-player.

As for being a bargain ... I suppose that's in the eye/wallet of the beholder.

Having compared the AK380 to a variety of other sources (including my AK120) and a Chord Mojo, I find the AK380 is completely outclassed for less than a third of the price ... albeit you have a two-box solution rather than one.  That the AK320 is cheaper helps, but it's still outclassed by a cheaper combo.

It'll be very interesting to compare the AK players to the Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs ... I'll be surprised if they don't beat out the AK380 also.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #101 of 743
Im not buying the Mojo hype yet, need to hear it myself, cant see why Chord would kill off the Hugo with a move like this. I will wait till the Mojo noise calms and then have a listen.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #102 of 743
To be fair the transfer issues are kind of your fault for having the poor excuse for a personal computer the Mac is:wink:

tongue_smile.gif

At upwards of $2499, I;d expect a first-rate user experience from any device I'd buy - so if you claim, as a manufacturer, to support a platform then support it properly or don't bother.  Especially if you're in the realm of "luxury" goods, which are as much about the overall experience as they are anything else.

Better yet, put in the engineering work to make the internal file system mountable directly.

Also, the AK software for Windows is not exactly a first class example of quality engineering.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #103 of 743
Im not buying the Mojo hype yet, need to hear it myself, cant see why Chord would kill off the Hugo with a move like this. I will wait till the Mojo noise calms and then have a listen.

It's not Hugo level yet. But it's frighteningly close in a number of ways. The Hugo is a clear step up, but not a night and day difference.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #104 of 743

I can't speak for others, but I can say that for me the Hugo was never something I'd seriously have considered purchasing at ANY price.  It's too big for mobile use, which is all I would have used it for (it'd have to beat Yggdrasil for home use, and in my opinion it doesn't).  So if Chord had never come out with the Mojo, I'd simply not be a Chord customer at the moment.

I imagine Chord will make FAR more money from Mojo than from Hugo.

And I'm not saying the Mojo beats or equals the Hugo in terms of reproduction.

I am saying, that in my listening so far, it clobbers all of the AK devices very handily.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #105 of 743
the Hugo is not a clear step up from the Mojo,i have both....the Hugo does some things and provides some connections that the Mojo does not but sound wise and power wise they are incredibly close and the mojo is so portable....both of them are far better IMHO than the expensive 380 and i imagine the 320...personally i think a used 120 Titan with the mojo is better sounding and holds more music and of course is a fraction of the price....at least in the case of the 380 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back