The 2010 Holiday Gift Exchange Is On! (Read thread for details!)
Dec 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #151 of 320
Quote:
thats cool and everything but does the gift got to be brand new?  like what if i have like the lord of the rings trilogy on dvd which i watched countless times and maybe someone else wants it who hasn't seen it yet.  like something like that along with a box of popcorn or something.  i think that would make it nicer for people who are out of a job right now and can't afford presents for people yet alone family.  just a thought but thats up to the host.

On Head-Fi we listen to music - hence it's assumed the gift will be music, or music-related. If you're "out of a job right now and can't afford presents for people yet alone family" perhaps you shouldn't participate. And as someone else said before, casting off unwanted items is not really the point of the Gift Exchange.

The idea behind the Holiday Gift Exchange tradition is really simple: people are partnered up (by whoever is coordinating the exchange, in this case Uncle Erik). Gift details are communicated between partners over PM and both of them exchange postal addresses. Each person buys a gift for the other that arrives by Christmas. Did you not look at the threads for the previous years' Exchanges?

No offense but if your idea of a gift is an item that's not brand-new, I foresee an awkward situation at best in your future.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #152 of 320

Quote:
thats cool and everything but does the gift got to be brand new?  like what if i have like the lord of the rings trilogy on dvd which i watched countless times and maybe someone else wants it who hasn't seen it yet.  like something like that along with a box of popcorn or something.  i think that would make it nicer for people who are out of a job right now and can't afford presents for people yet alone family.  just a thought but thats up to the host.

I don't get why there are so many suggestions.  People are getting paired up to do an exchange.  Any such details could be discussed with your partner if you want.  For the most part, as this is a forum about headphones and related things, one would assume it would be somewhat music related.  The exchange is a gamble and I would think it'd be good for those that have the fiscal means to do so and have an open mind.  The only hope I have is that I will get something I didn't expect and if it happens to be an album, hopefully it'll introduce me to something I've never heard/considered.

Just like if you have to ask, it's probably too expensive, if you have to ask about if something is an appropriate gift, it probably is not a gift worth giving.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #153 of 320
I'm down! Never done this before (im new) so i may need some help lol. Ill ship anywhere. Where do i list what music i listen to?

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #154 of 320
I know UE stated he's take up the slack or take an oddball (aren't we all oddballs?). I'd also take an extra if needed.

As for trying to be cheap, come on folks. This is an optional thing. You either want to or you don't.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #155 of 320
Did this last year, lots of fun.  I am in again if still open.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #157 of 320
Sure why not I'm up for it. I'd prefer to be within the CONUS, but I will ship internationally.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #158 of 320
Jeez how do people not get this?!  All you have to do is buy a CD/ music DVD/ something audio related within the price range of $10-$15 and send it to the person that you will be randomly paired up with.  How hard is that to understand? And if you can't afford $10-$15 for something that is optional then you probably should be out looking for work and not on a headphone/earphone forum.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #159 of 320
i'm in ... international is fine .... i can think of some great aussie bands that would love to be heard overseas! like previous posts: a great way to give back to head-fi
happy_face1.gif

cheers rysiek

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #160 of 320
I would just like to note that the cutoff date here for sending packages internationally via air (the only affordable method of posting things) so that they are guaranteed to arrive before christmas is the 29th of November. Thus if I (or anyone else in this country) am partnered up with someone internationally they probably won't receive their gift in time unless I spend a helluva lot and get courier postage.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #161 of 320
Good point, fraseyboy. I'll take a look at that and would be willing to match up people in particular countries or ones close to each other and not requiring ridiculous postage.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #163 of 320
While I don't  mind receiving my stuff after Christmas, the previously mentioned date of 10th seem kind of cutting it very close. Take a day or two to get in touch with partner and exchange addresses. Another day or so to get to the post office to see it off and I assume that with the holiday deliveries, the typical first class postage probably get a pretty low priority would mean that many of us may not receive it in time, especially for internationals.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #164 of 320

Quote:
While I don't  mind receiving my stuff after Christmas, the previously mentioned date of 10th seem kind of cutting it very close. Take a day or two to get in touch with partner and exchange addresses. Another day or so to get to the post office to see it off and I assume that with the holiday deliveries, the typical first class postage probably get a pretty low priority would mean that many of us may not receive it in time, especially for internationals.

That's a very valid point.  I was hoping we'd get paired off a little early so we could send out presents in time.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #165 of 320
Quote:
So when will we be contacted regarding our exchange buddy?

The tenth was an arbitrary choice.  Seemed like a good amount of time to get a package off in time.  I'm hesitant to make it earlier, since I'd like another nine days to get people to sign up.

Around midnight (PST, GMT -8) on the 10th, I will sift through all the responses and send out PMs matching people up.  After you get your match, contact your partner and exchange shipping information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back