The 2010 Holiday Gift Exchange Is On! (Read thread for details!)
Dec 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #167 of 320

Quote:
Quote:
thats cool and everything but does the gift got to be brand new?  like what if i have like the lord of the rings trilogy on dvd which i watched countless times and maybe someone else wants it who hasn't seen it yet.  like something like that along with a box of popcorn or something.  i think that would make it nicer for people who are out of a job right now and can't afford presents for people yet alone family.  just a thought but thats up to the host.

I don't get why there are so many suggestions.  People are getting paired up to do an exchange.  Any such details could be discussed with your partner if you want.  For the most part, as this is a forum about headphones and related things, one would assume it would be somewhat music related.  The exchange is a gamble and I would think it'd be good for those that have the fiscal means to do so and have an open mind.  The only hope I have is that I will get something I didn't expect and if it happens to be an album, hopefully it'll introduce me to something I've never heard/considered.

Just like if you have to ask, it's probably too expensive, if you have to ask about if something is an appropriate gift, it probably is not a gift worth giving.

I think some of the suggestions are meant to clarify some matters and why not be open to suggestions? who knows, some of the suggestions may even compliment or improve an already good idea
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #168 of 320
Quote:
The tenth was an arbitrary choice.  Seemed like a good amount of time to get a package off in time.  I'm hesitant to make it earlier, since I'd like another nine days to get people to sign up.

I think you should cut off the sign-up earlier than 12/10, Erik - maybe even stop it now. There are already more than enough people who've signed up so far and it would allow for more time for people to PM each other and buy/ship their gift item(s) to ensure delivery by Christmas.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #169 of 320

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
thats cool and everything but does the gift got to be brand new?  like what if i have like the lord of the rings trilogy on dvd which i watched countless times and maybe someone else wants it who hasn't seen it yet.  like something like that along with a box of popcorn or something.  i think that would make it nicer for people who are out of a job right now and can't afford presents for people yet alone family.  just a thought but thats up to the host.

I don't get why there are so many suggestions.  People are getting paired up to do an exchange.  Any such details could be discussed with your partner if you want.  For the most part, as this is a forum about headphones and related things, one would assume it would be somewhat music related.  The exchange is a gamble and I would think it'd be good for those that have the fiscal means to do so and have an open mind.  The only hope I have is that I will get something I didn't expect and if it happens to be an album, hopefully it'll introduce me to something I've never heard/considered.

Just like if you have to ask, it's probably too expensive, if you have to ask about if something is an appropriate gift, it probably is not a gift worth giving.

I think some of the suggestions are meant to clarify some matters and why not be open to suggestions? who knows, some of the suggestions may even compliment or improve an already good idea
wink_face.gif

I agree that opening a forum for ideas would be good, but once everyone gets paired up it'll be between the pairings to decide so though others might agree with an idea the person that suggested it might get paired with someone who does not agree.

And more to the point, it was less about ideas being passed around and more that it seems like a lot of people joined up without thinking about being able to fiscally manage it or have some rather strict ideas of what they want to receive.  There's a few genres I'm not a fan of, but I'd more than gladly listen to it if I was given a chance as it would give me a chance to broaden my horizon and give me a better idea of the person I did an exchange with.

Quote:
Quote:
The tenth was an arbitrary choice.  Seemed like a good amount of time to get a package off in time.  I'm hesitant to make it earlier, since I'd like another nine days to get people to sign up.

I think you should cut off the sign-up earlier than 12/10, Erik - maybe even stop it now. There are already more than enough people who've signed up so far and it would allow for more time for people to PM each other and buy/ship their gift item(s) to ensure delivery by Christmas.

Maybe not cut it off, but I do agree that it'd be nice if we could pair off some of the people we have already.  Why put off what you can do today and so forth.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #172 of 320
I agree with cutting it off before the 10th. If anyone buys from Amazon and has an international partner, that won't really leave enough time to have the order delivered and then ship it internationally for it to get to the partner in time for the holiday. Chanukah has already started, so why not partner up now the people who have already signed up before we miss all of the season entirely?

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #176 of 320

Quote:
On topic-

Why don't we pair up now so we can get everyone their exchanges before December 25th? Especially for international exchanges.

+1. there are already tons of people signed up and I doubt there are going to be much more

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #177 of 320

Quote:
Quote:
On topic-

Why don't we pair up now so we can get everyone their exchanges before December 25th? Especially for international exchanges.

+1. there are already tons of people signed up and I doubt there are going to be much more

+2

And it's already the second night of Hannukkah. It would be nice to keep this inclusive for my Jewish friends too. Ross makes a good point about international shipments....it can take some time.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #178 of 320
I'll put the suggestion to end this early out to the rest of the staff here and see what they think.

My goal is to be as inclusive as possible - not everyone checks in here daily. I was hoping to let the thread go for awhile to maximize signups.

Tentatively, I'll cut it off this Sunday at noon Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8) and try to get pairings out that day.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #179 of 320

Quote:
I'll put the suggestion to end this early out to the rest of the staff here and see what they think.

My goal is to be as inclusive as possible - not everyone checks in here daily. I was hoping to let the thread go for awhile to maximize signups.

Tentatively, I'll cut it off this Sunday at noon Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8) and try to get pairings out that day.

Cool. Thanks Erik!

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #180 of 320
What if you would pair those who have signed up already on Sunday, and the rest who sign up later on the 10th ? That way those who signed early would get a head start, and those who come later will still have a chance to do this?  Im fine either way, though it would be cool to do it earlier because this sounds so fun, but i understand that the mods might not have enough time for this double work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back