The 2010 Holiday Gift Exchange Is On! (Read thread for details!)
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #91 of 320
Good point, jax.

Please do not exchange burned CDs. Money can be tight, especially in this economy. I think we should allow used CDs, as well. It would be better to have as many people participate as possible. I've been finding used discs for $2-$5, so if you opt for media mail, you should be able to get a disc out for $5-$6.

Another possibility is buying LPs. If you are matched with someone who has a turntable, a LP or two would be great.

You might also want to consider other gifts, which are allowed. CDs are the usual recommendation, but feel free to give something else. If you can build a headphone stand, that would be terrific. I just want to see Head-Fi'ers make real life contact and share the holidays.

I do not want any sort of piracy here. As some may have noticed, there has been a crackdown on filesharing sites lately. Though this is far from one of those, Head-Fi does not need any untoward attention. Let's keep things above board.

As for getting someone a disc they already own, do your homework. Find out what people listen to and send them something out of left field. I'm still trying to figure out what to get, but am leaning towards world music since I don't see many people listening to it around here. But we'll see who I end up with - I'll fine tune my selection.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #92 of 320

Quote:
I found a burnt CD partner. Hmph.

Head-Fi, when did you become so condescending? XD LOLOL

I think it is more of a legal issue: burning a CD for someone does constitute piracy, and more importantly, it kills what I think is a really cool part of this idea, that you get an excuse to support one of your favorite artists and share that person's music with someone else.  While Katy Perry may not particularly need your money, most any artist with half a shred of talent probably does.  Also, remembering that this is an audiophile-oriented website, CDs that are burned out of generic drives at standard max speeds tend to be chock full of errors, and don't sound particularly good. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #95 of 320
My burnt CD-R's are well over $100.00......

Custom remasters don't come cheap in my business......but if my partner doesn't one....that's fine.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Dev Avidon said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
mralexosborn said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found a burnt CD partner. Hmph.

Head-Fi, when did you become so condescending? XD LOLOL

I think it is more of a legal issue: burning a CD for someone does constitute piracy, and more importantly, it kills what I think is a really cool part of this idea, that you get an excuse to support one of your favorite artists and share that person's music with someone else.  While Katy Perry may not particularly need your money, most any artist with half a shred of talent probably does.  Also, remembering that this is an audiophile-oriented website, CDs that are burned out of generic drives at standard max speeds tend to be chock full of errors, and don't sound particularly good. 

Not if you include an original...and some of us can actually burn CD-R's properly.

Regardless....I think now I will just send off a nice retail CD.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #96 of 320
What a great idea!

Count me in, I'll ship anywhere :)

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #98 of 320

Quote:
I like the idea, but good cds are more like 25$ here + worldwide shipping 10-15$. thats 40$
frown.gif

I'm guessing you are from Belgium (chocolate and beer :p). I'm from the Netherlands and I've participated in this exchange a few times. A tip: if you are partnered with someone from the US for instance, you can always buy at Amazon.com and have the CD shipped to their home. That way you get the cheap dollar price of CDs and no international shipping fees. Otherwise, you can specify that you only want to be partnered with someone from your own country to avoid international shipping. Last time I sent a CD to the US from the Netherlands I think it cost about 4 euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr 

Since no one else has posted this yet, here are links to previous years' Exchanges:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/454482/sign-up-for-the-2009-annual-head-fi-holiday-gift-exchange
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/382591/sign-up-head-fi-s-2008-christmas-cd-exchange

Post #13, including Whadjaget threads for some ideas what people sent each other. :D

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #102 of 320

Quote:
The CD's must be with international music?..or there's a rule or something like this? (English singing?)

When you get paired up with someone, you should message them and agree on what to send each other. Some people want to be surprised, some people would like something that fits their music preferences, etc. It's all up to you and your partner.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #103 of 320
I think that it is important to approach this with an open mind, I like the surprise and I will appreciate whatever I receive. For me the fun part about this is not WHAT I GET - The fun is to find and GIVE a real surprise of music that I like and hopefully can spread and share with someone elsewhere in the world. I hope everyone takes part in this with that mindset. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #104 of 320
I'm in.  Will ship anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back