TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Mar 29, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #46 of 216
OK so on my TH600 if i want to do just the damping disk mod, I just remove it from its glued in position and reposition it into the position I want? It will stay in place without any glue?

This mod alone will yield some difference right?

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #49 of 216
. The foam discs are not glued on. You can watch the video to do it correctly

Thats strange... Mine definitely had a slight glue to them but I removed them without any rips anyways and placed into position 3. Sub bass came forward a bit and certain songs had shrill highs that have been tamed a bit. Ill keep them here for a while.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #51 of 216

Thats strange... Mine definitely had a slight glue to them but I removed them without any rips anyways and placed into position 3. Sub bass came forward a bit and certain songs had shrill highs that have been tamed a bit. Ill keep them here for a while.

Yes, my TH 600 set was glue all around. Easy to come off without damage to the foam. Currently in position 3 too.. Same observation as above, Daze513

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #53 of 216
It's well explained earlier, even by images. By less damping /more airflow through one of the tuning holes. Imagine what a different damper could do, that affects all the holes. The foam dampers are cheap replacement parts, one could even try trimming them for more mids, but that's not easy mod any more.

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #54 of 216
Ok got it, I read through it again. I've got a level 1 Lawton coming soon so I'll start with the angle pads first and different dampers position, then do the tune up and different dampers position again and give a mini review.

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #55 of 216
I also have the basic Lawton, but ended up not using it. I do recommend this EZ cup mod anyway. I am waiting on new Fostex pads, then I will do measurements + subjective evaluation on stock TH900, basic Lawton mod, EZ mod, and mine & Playitloud's mods. Based on guts feeling I will end up using a mix, but will be interesting to know the width and depth of options.

Based on measurements so far on basic Lawton mod (small but safe improvement), I became interested on the full Lawton, including larger cups and higher ear pads with larger opening. However, likely not worth the price difference for me, given that there are cheap mods driving towards similar (alleged) changes. Ultimately I would be interested to do it myself, including a bigger cup and wooden driver frame like a Sony R10 clone. Looks like no one is going to do that for me :) and I have access to CNC. But time, that one I don't have much.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #56 of 216
I forgot to include this. These little plastic shimmers are very important....do not lose them. If you lose one of them though, take all out, dampen the outer edges with the tape, and screw your cups on....never leave less than 4 shimmers inside, because that will cause "sound Imbalanced"

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #57 of 216
So I just completed the mods and was playing around for around 4 hours with the foam positioning, and I found for my needs that moving it in a position somewhere inbetween stock+ and #2 worked best. I couldn't be happier with the headphones now; thanks a ****load for this!!!

Keep up the good work.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #58 of 216
So I just completed the mods and was playing around for around 4 hours with the foam positioning, and I found for my needs that moving it in a position somewhere inbetween stock+ and #2 worked best. I couldn't be happier with the headphones now; thanks a ****load for this!!!

Keep up the good work.

Congratulations! And cheer to many endless hours of good audio quality that you personally love :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #59 of 216
Ok so just installed a lawton Tune  up and have the damper disk at position 3, and holy cow. Its really a great boost in SQ to my ears. The bass has grown a bit deeper when called for, the mids have really taken a step forward, and the highs have been tamed. The disk seemed to just give the lawton mod the last little oomph it needed. 

Listening to several EDM tracks,  I can really tell the bass stops and goes faster and harder, while the treble in the background has a nice consistent sparkle but not shrill. Hip Hop vocals also come through better and smoother. Strings and background riffs in alternative tracks also have clearly improved.

I tried with the lawton pads, and I did lose bass, but gained what seemed like some more instrument separation. Im thinking the bass decrease is because the pads have smaller interior diameters and thus blocks some the of holes that have been cleared up by moving the damping disk. Id have to play around a bit more to give a full opinion on them. I'm having trouble A/Bing the pads because it takes a few minutes to swap them. So this is by no means a good or bad comment on the lawton pads. I'm going to try getting some of the mounting plates to keep on the lawton pads to allow faster swapping.

Cosmetically, my lawton pads aren't as nice as the stock pads. The stock pads have a mice matte finish that matches well. the lawton have a slight sheen to them. Maybe because the material difference. I did notice myself being less worried about the position of the phones on my head with the lawtons, since the lawton has a smaller earhole and thus less forward and back movement. 

Edit: the lawton tune up did require some trimming to fit accurately. install time was 10 minutes. Difficulty of 4/10 for anyone with headphone disassembly experience. mostly only due to the small screws that need to be removed. If you're not scared of little screws and have good dexterity, 2/10. Did one cup at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back