The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #91 of 2,251
Thanks. The E5 here seems to be the bassy of the lineup which is why I asked.
I don't have any of these, but the 1/3/5 look very sleek and comfortable.

So it sounds like the whole lineup can be brught and sibilant.. I guess the E5 just has extra bass but still very balanced.

I found the 3 to be the most bassy and least treble heavy. It's the most relaxed and least energetic of the bunch.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #94 of 2,251
Few questions...
  • Do King and Series 4 share the same 12 mm graphene driver?
  • Anyone heard both (King and Series 4)? If yes - what are the sonic differences? A sentence or two of first impressions will do.
Thanks.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #95 of 2,251
Few questions...
  • Anyone heard both (King and Series 4)? If yes - what are the sonic differences? A sentence or two of first impressions will do.
Thanks.

Pretty sure I have the Series 4 coming in tomorrow. If so, I'll drop a quick comparo for you.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #97 of 2,251
Few questions...
Thanks.
I don't have the specs of both but I did try them out during an exhibition. On first impression, the Series 4 seems to be the warmer, more balanced of the two, but I only had about 15 minutes of audition time so I can't comment much. The design is mainly the same so comfort is similar.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #98 of 2,251
I don't have the specs of both but I did try them out during an exhibition. On first impression, the Series 4 seems to be the warmer, more balanced of the two, but I only had about 15 minutes of audition time so I can't comment much. The design is mainly the same so comfort is similar.

Is the Series 4 supposed to be an upgrade over the Exclusive series or a side step? Are the drivers the same in both? Thanks!

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #99 of 2,251
Is the Series 4 supposed to be an upgrade over the Exclusive series or a side step? Are the drivers the same in both? Thanks!
They are marketed as a side-grade, with different tuning. The Series 4 particularly is marketed as a warmer, more consumer alternative to the King, according to the Chinese promotional text. I don't have any info on the drivers though, but listening to the Series 4, they are very different from the original TFZ Series sound and more closer to the Exclusive series but with different tuning.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #101 of 2,251
Thanks. I am mainly interested in soundstage, details, clarity and control. Any comments on that?
I've only tried it out for about 15 minutes so I can't give detailed impressions, and I'm not as versed in audiophile terms since I'm still new to this hobby, but I can say detail and clarity is similar to the Exclusive series but with different tuning. I would try to audition them again if I'm free next week at my local audio shop. Lucky that Malaysia has better access to Chinese stuff faster so we could try them out!

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #102 of 2,251
Few questions...
Thanks.

Take this with a grain of salt since I'm listening ootb and have only put in a couple songs from Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album;

- harder to drive than the King (higher impedance, lower sensitivity, makes sense)
- similar tuning, but with a touch more bass and missing the vibrancy of the treble (will be a good thing for many)

Quick summary; Nice earphone, but it's signature overlaps so much with the Exclusive lineup that they could have simply called it the Exclusive 4 and no one would have questioned anything. At this time I wouldn't say they're warmer either, just not as raw and energetic. Comes across as a mellowed out Exclusive series iem to my ears. For whatever reason it brings to mind the Havi B3 Pro I, so I'll need to find mine and see if that thought is off in left field or not.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #103 of 2,251
Few questions...
Thanks.
Btw, I found that they share the same drivers. Below are some descriptions by the local distributor of TFZ at my country:

"If you’ve poisoned by the gigantic 12mm Graphene driver of TFZ Exclusive King, don’t miss out the newly released Series 4 and My Love II which are also using the same drivers.

In simple, they are the “warm sound version” of Exclusive King. They’re also using the HiFi level nano-diaphragm that made of Graphene, titanium plated dome, dual crossover & dual magnetic circuit, N52 magnet unit...which can produce high resolution and crystal clear sound quality.
Compare to Exclusive King which is more like a “studio monitoring version”, Series 4 and My Love II sounds more musical, warmer and analog. They are more suitable for vocal and acoustic music, and able to represent the emotion of vocalist lively.

Series 4 is a same level product with King with different sound signature. My Love II is the simplified version of Series 4.
Both of them are using high quality 4-wires silver plated cable. Detachable design with 0.78mm connectors (same with CIEM). You still can improve and tune the sound by upgrading cable in the future."

Link to forum: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3953593/+120

Also, can't wait for a review from B9Scrambler about the Series 4!

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #105 of 2,251
I've been pondering getting a TFZ earphone. I own a lot of earphones from KZ's line and some other from different brands like the Vivo XE800, Tennmak Pro (one of my favorites) and the Somic V4 which I also appreciate. Could anyone give me a recommendation or two and briefly describe why they'd recommend them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back