TFTA-2100-2V1S (1V) & TFTA-2100-3V2B (1XB) - Review - Pictures & Videos
Oct 22, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #121 of 177
Well, ive got a pair of the TFTA extra bass IEMs on the way. I can't wait to see what these are all about and compare them to the Atrio's (which I have confirmed, do not use thin film).

I am most looking forward to seeing how the deep bass blends in with the mids and highs. I would like Atrio like deep sub-bass with clearly defined mids and high end sparkle, which I find a tad bit lacking in my Atrio (which are not the newest MG7 drivers BTW).

I will post my review but postage will take 10 days and then I will need another 10 for burn-in and reviewing. I just can't wait.

For good measure, I also added a pair of their entry level earbuds because I want to compare them to my open earphones, e.g. KSC75, Yuin PK3.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #122 of 177

Quote:
Well, ive got a pair of the TFTA extra bass IEMs on the way. I can't wait to see what these are all about and compare them to the Atrio's (which I have confirmed, do not use thin film).

I am most looking forward to seeing how the deep bass blends in with the mids and highs. I would like Atrio like deep sub-bass with clearly defined mids and high end sparkle, which I find a tad bit lacking in my Atrio (which are not the newest MG7 drivers BTW).

I will post my review but postage will take 10 days and then I will need another 10 for burn-in and reviewing. I just can't wait.

For good measure, I also added a pair of their entry level earbuds because I want to compare them to my open earphones, e.g. KSC75, Yuin PK3.

oh! Nice one Nav!
I'm really looking forward to it! :)

As you know/said give them some burn-in to open up, and try not to hurt your ears too much within the first 5-10hrs :p

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #123 of 177
Finally, someone with both.  Although I wish you had the mg7 driver to compare treble/upper mids.  When you do your review/comparison, can you please talk about tips?  The Atrios were very tip dependent for me and it took a while to find the perfect tips, so that treble was not attenuated.  Looking forward to your thoughts.

Quote:

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #124 of 177

Quote:
oh! Nice one Nav!I'm really looking forward to it! :)As you know/said give them some burn-in to open up, and try not to hurt your ears too much within the first 5-10hrs :p

I am really looking forward to it too. I just can't wait! Yeah, i'll give 25hrs before I do any serious listening. What I am hoping for is the fantastic, brain rumbling Atrio sub-bass with more high end sparkle. I find the mids on the Atrio are pretty good but upper-mids could do with a little boost. From what I read, the TFTA may just be the perfect answer.

Quote:
Finally, someone with both.  Although I wish you had the mg7 driver to compare treble/upper mids.  When you do your review/comparison, can you please talk about tips?  The Atrios were very tip dependent for me and it took a while to find the perfect tips, so that treble was not attenuated.  Looking forward to your thoughts. 

I wish I had the MG7's too but I really want to try the TFTA. I was pretty confused about which TFTA to get but when I read about dub's preference, I thought the extra bass may be the way to go.

I will post about tips. I have tried about a million tips on the Atrio's but the TFTA will be more restrictive because I only have JAYS, UE (single and bi-flange) and Meelec tips to try on the TFTA due to it's wider sound nozzle. I wish I could fit all the tips I have for my Atrio's but anyway, the selection I have will probably be enough for me to get the best fit and sound.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #126 of 177

Quote:

I am really looking forward to it too. I just can't wait! Yeah, i'll give 25hrs before I do any serious listening. What I am hoping for is the fantastic, brain rumbling Atrio sub-bass with more high end sparkle. I find the mids on the Atrio are pretty good but upper-mids could do with a little boost. From what I read, the TFTA may just be the perfect answer.

Well I guess you are getting the 1XB's?
If so, the mids/highs aren't as well pronounced as the 1V's - so if you are getting the 1XB's definitely test the bass if anything, then look into the mids/highs - as that's what their made for = excellent bass response.
The 1V's are for people that don't want AS MUCH bass, but still want some - in other words sacrificing bass for mid/highs presentation.

I can't ask for more tbh - if i want mids/highs I put on the 1V's, if I want bass I put on the 1XB's - don't be wrong though, listening to some flamenco guitar on the 1XB's is still sensational

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #129 of 177

Quote:

Well I guess you are getting the 1XB's?
If so, the mids/highs aren't as well pronounced as the 1V's - so if you are getting the 1XB's definitely test the bass if anything, then look into the mids/highs - as that's what their made for = excellent bass response.
The 1V's are for people that don't want AS MUCH bass, but still want some - in other words sacrificing bass for mid/highs presentation.

I can't ask for more tbh - if i want mids/highs I put on the 1V's, if I want bass I put on the 1XB's - don't be wrong though, listening to some flamenco guitar on the 1XB's is still sensational

Maybe I should have stuck to my original decision of the 1V's because I want to test not only the bass texture and sub-bass but also the mids and highs against the Atrio's. However, if flamenco still sounds good on the 1XB, I should be happy with them.

How good or bad is the noise isolation on planes, buses, trains, out in crowded places? If they are vented, I can imagine isolation only being average?

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #130 of 177
Maybe I should have stuck to my original decision of the 1V's because I want to test not only the bass texture and sub-bass but also the mids and highs against the Atrio's. However, if flamenco still sounds good on the 1XB, I should be happy with them.

How good or bad is the noise isolation on planes, buses, trains, out in crowded places? If they are vented, I can imagine isolation only being average?

Indeed average, not bad, but not amazing either. I really think that tips play a huge role in isolation though. Complys did better than stock :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #131 of 177
Guys I feel like a noob 
etysmile.gif

Today, I was asking myself...why does my left earphone sound different from my right one?
I tried different insertions, but that didn't work - I then took the tips out, and was shocked to find that my tips had different diameters! (this was obviously my fault, as I had mixed the tips of the 1 XB's and the 1V's quite a lot.

The 1V's have a larger diameter nozzle/driver (as explained previously), now that I saw a difference, I took a picture of the ear tips and hopefully you will fully understand what I mean - pictures have been added to the OP (total of 3 pictures) 

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #132 of 177
Totally Dubbed: "The 1V's have a larger diameter nozzle/driver (as explained previously)"

The driver size is different as well? According to the TFTA website, both have 10mm drivers.

BTW: did you use the comply or stock silicone tips in the review (regarding the sound)?
Because it affects not only the fit and comfort, but the sound signature as well. (Lots of people 
dont like the complys because of this.)

Personally I really like the Sony EX tips for example, those are very soft and comfortable, give a good fit
and can be quickly inserted. And those had a positive effect on the sound of every IEM I tried so far.

But since the nozzle of the 1V is bigger, so I could not use those on it :frowning2:
Is the "feeling/touch" or material of the stock TFTA silicones something similar to the Sony tips?
I know it is not a fair question since you do not have the sonys anymore, but maybe you remember :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #133 of 177

Quote:
Totally Dubbed: "The 1V's have a larger diameter nozzle/driver (as explained previously)"

The driver size is different as well? According to the TFTA website, both have 10mm drivers.

BTW: did you use the comply or stock silicone tips in the review (regarding the sound)?
Because it affects not only the fit and comfort, but the sound signature as well. (Lots of people 
dont like the complys because of this.)

Personally I really like the Sony EX tips for example, those are very soft and comfortable, give a good fit
and can be quickly inserted. And those had a positive effect on the sound of every IEM I tried so far.

But since the nozzle of the 1V is bigger, so I could not use those on it :frowning2:
Is the "feeling/touch" or material of the stock TFTA silicones something similar to the Sony tips?
I know it is not a fair question since you do not have the sonys anymore, but maybe you remember :)

Great question/remark! :)

Yes I did use silicone tips in my review - agreed about the sound sig changing as well - complys added more bass...which (lol) wasn't needed :p but also lessened down the highs, which again wasn't needed/wanted.

Sony EX tips are "premium" quality silicone tips, and the ones you get with the TFTA's are just normal ones - put it that way. Although the material is the same, the quality of the EX's felt better and fitted better (at least when i had the sony's) - oh and in terms of the comfort, they are comfortable yes, although I can see what you mean with the EX's they are much more comfortable, but yet also prone to getting a lot of wax on them, and thus slipping out of your ear after a while (no I'm not dirty, i just know that's what I felt with the sony's - they never stayed properly in my ears, yet with the TFTA's the fit is perfect)

Long story short - tips make a huge difference, I suggest anyone that buys TFTA's to at least know what tips do to sound sigs etc. As they can literally tweak the sound sig of the TFTA's (and as a matter of fact any earphone - I'm talking about the tips here :p)

Either/or the TFTA's sound is amazing, and still impress me. Each time I put them in my ears, especially the 1XB's and their bass, i rejoice.

EDIT:
You can still fit the EX's on the 1V's btw, just takes a little bit of squeezing in. Just keep it in mind that if you have the EX's on the 1V's for a long period of time, then the diameter of the EX tips will be larger than they previously were, and thus not fitting properly/loosely on your sony's

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #134 of 177
Here's an independent review of the TFTA:

Site: Headphonereviews.org 
http://headphonereviews.org/headphone/TFT+Accoustics/2101+2V1 [Compared to the Beats by Dr Dre ->] http://headphonereviews.org/headphone/Monster/Beats+by+Dr+Dre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back