TF10 Alternative: Atrio MG7 vs ATH CK90Pro vs JVC FXT90 vs Sony EX700
Jan 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #31 of 50

Quote:
I love my Turbine Pro Golds and they can be had in that price range if you look around.  They are definitely an audiophile bass-head's IEM.  Don't exclude them in your search.

I've tried the Golds and although I think I may have not had the right fit at the time I really didn't like them. My S4's sounds much better. But the Copper's where pretty good, yet I don't think they are worth the price they are at.

Quote:

I'm not sure where you got the "too much" bit from... I've never heard the Atrios, so cannot comment on personal preference. See also the "I have read" bit. Apologies if I was unclear, I used the term "bass monsters" to describe a group of earphones which are known primarily for the strength of their bottom end. The Atrios belong in this group, and are well known for being amongst the best basshead earphones around. In that light, I'm not surprised you find their bass perfect. Perhaps the OP would too.

However, the OP did state that he wanted something more than just bass, with great mids and sparkling highs. From what I've read, the Atrios have slightly recessed mids, moderate highs and a comparatively darker sound signature than the Sony's or JVCs. Furthermore, he wants something which sounds like the TF10 (which has a very wide soundstage), so he may find the Atrios soundstage unimpressive.

Yes, this is why I've been a bit worried about the Atrios as great bass usually means compromises in the rest of the spectrum, yet on the other hand many have stated that the MG7 driver have much improved mids and treble. I am very curious about their sound quality though and only until I try them will I know for sure if they are right for me or not.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #32 of 50

Quote:
I've heard some of the options you are tossing up.

The Atrios are very impressive and despite their very capable bass response they are still quite 'dry' sounding - slightly V-shaped sound that if you liked the TF10's I'm pretty sure you'd like the Atrios. For me I found them a little *too* dry though, as I always prefer a smoother sound when given the choice. That's not to say they were aggressively harsh though.

I have a pair of CK90Pros and they are incredible for electronic. They have a slightly dark, warm sound, they are extremely comfortable being so small. However, note timbre is a bit of an issue because they are so fast that decay times for notes are a bit off. So they have good bass - BUT it feels slightly off for some instruments. I still like them, but the cable is breaking on mine so I don't use them much.

The JVC FXT90 has a really rich, pleasing sound but probably a lot more mellow then the other options you are looking at. For the price though, and with their comfort, they seem a good choice.

Good that you eliminated the Sonys if you found the UE700's harsh.

I'd probably say go for the Atrios unless you listen to a lot of electronica, in which case the CK90Pro (or the CK90Pro Mk 2 which I don't think there are any reviews of yet) will be a lot of fun. :3

I think I'm going to eliminate the CK90pro's as from what I've read the JVC's seems better suited to me and plus the Technica's are more expensive. I mainly listen to hip-hop hence why the atrio's are a top contender, but would you say the Technica's are suited to this genre?

Quote:
I owned a pair of the old Atrios and they were really capable IEMs. That said, the new MG7 drivers are reported to have much improved treble performance, and while often considered bassy and dark, I think they would be a great bet for what you want. Also, there's that 50% off coupon in the deal thread from atrio.me, making these an absolute STEAL at ~$100 usd.

Having said that...I just passed up getting the Atrios in favor of the FXT90s xD HOWEVER, this is mainly because I wanted to try something different. The FXT90s are also quite a bit more expensive.

So, my 2c :)

Do you know if would I be able to use that offer and get a pair delivered to the UK?

Quote:
I got the FXT90 two weeks ago and I love their sound. However, they have somewhat shallow insertion and what I would consider poor isolation with silicone tips. I haven't tried comply foams yet, so I can't comment on those. They also must be worn with cables over ear to avoid microphonics. I was so torn between the FXT90 and Atrio MG7, that I ended up ordering both. The atrios should be here in a day or two.

When you said traveling, I assume you mean commercial airlines, so the isolation of the FXT90 may not be up to par for that. Like others have suggested, I would seriously consider having your TF10 remolded to custom. This should give the best isolation and comfort, along with retaining the sound signature you already know you enjoy. The only drawback is the higher cost, as you are looking at $150 worth of TF10 + $85-100 for a remold + extra if you want the impressions taken at a professional audiologist, vs $110 for MG7 or $130 for FXT90.

I actually meant commuting on the bus or the train to/from work when I said travelling, so Isolation will need to be good but its not an essential feature for me. I would like to hear your take on the Atrio's vs the JVC's.

Quote:
I don't want to disappoint Mad Max, but TF10s sound congested period.
Any of the IEMs listed above (FX700, IE8/IE80, EX1000) is a tier above, no discussion here.

TF10 may have a large soundstage but the sound is so congested that they sound over-detailed with very little separation (no really what I would call precision). No layering whatsoever... I never heard the 3D sound when I had them, even some cheaper HJE-900 were doing better at presenting a nicely structured sound.

I wouldn't quite say that FX700 have a large soundstage, it is good but not huge. But the excellent clarity, detail and separation make it sound ALIVE and clear.
Another candidate would be the Yamaha EPH-100. Clear, detailed, top-tier separation, flatter than the FX700 V shape, soundstage is similar but a bit more around you than FX700 (FX700 mainly put instrument in front of you). I like both EPH-100 and FX700 equally, they each are stronger with different music styles, and both make music so LIVELY!!!

EPH-100 are probably more within the OP budget than the others, they're barely more expensive than FXT90 (which must also be nice if they're anything close to FX700).

I would be mainly listening to Hip-hop, R'n'B and Pop and will be using my Cowon J3 to drive the headphones so I won't be amping the headphones, just something to bare in mind. I haven't read about the Yamaha's so I will be checking them out.

Quote:
Go IE8.

the thing with the triple.fi is that alot of people hear triple and think 3 armatures which is a bit of a lie.

You have IEM´s like the SM3 or the Westone 3 which are true triple armature having a single low. single mid and single high. each one with its own crossover to filter out the frequencies for it.

While the triple fi has 3 armatures but in a 2+1 configuration. a single body dual armature for lows and a single armature for highs with 2 crossovers.
So its not a true Triple armature,

Like the Klipsch custom 2 vs the custom 3. the 2 has a single body dual armature. both armatures emite sound at the same frequency range.
While the custom 3 has 2 different armatures and  crossovers. each emiting sounds at their own tuned frequencies.
Technicly both have 2 armatures but you can understand why its not the same.

Personaly ? if you´re looking for soundstage and more full sound go dynamic. i went from the atrios to the Triple.fi to the IE8.

the IE8 was like the atrios with better highs and fuller sound. while the triple fi was all disapointment. the fit. the tips and the cables took all the joy out of them.

I was once considering the IE8 but I really don't want earphones that require an over-the-ear fit (one of the reasons why the TF10's will be going back). How do the IE8's fit with the cable straight-down? Are they comfortable? Although I think they will be way over budget for me.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #33 of 50

You think the IE8s are good. The IE80 doesn't have the mid bass issue which is great. I don't need to EQ period. Just get that very exciting and big sound with detail. No clouded mid range, and silky smooth treble. A great upgrade for those who hate using EQ.
Quote:
Go IE8.

the thing with the triple.fi is that alot of people hear triple and think 3 armatures which is a bit of a lie.

You have IEM´s like the SM3 or the Westone 3 which are true triple armature having a single low. single mid and single high. each one with its own crossover to filter out the frequencies for it.

While the triple fi has 3 armatures but in a 2+1 configuration. a single body dual armature for lows and a single armature for highs with 2 crossovers.
So its not a true Triple armature,

Like the Klipsch custom 2 vs the custom 3. the 2 has a single body dual armature. both armatures emite sound at the same frequency range.
While the custom 3 has 2 different armatures and  crossovers. each emiting sounds at their own tuned frequencies.
Technicly both have 2 armatures but you can understand why its not the same.

Personaly ? if you´re looking for soundstage and more full sound go dynamic. i went from the atrios to the Triple.fi to the IE8.

the IE8 was like the atrios with better highs and fuller sound. while the triple fi was all disapointment. the fit. the tips and the cables took all the joy out of them.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #34 of 50

Quote:
Do you know if would I be able to use that offer and get a pair delivered to the UK?

I'm not sure...can you just go to the site and put it in your cart to find out? I heard someone say they wouldn't ship to India but when asked how they knew, they never replied... I'd look into it for you, but...it's your purchase. lol :p If you can't find the info on the site readily, email.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #35 of 50

Quote:
I don't want to disappoint Mad Max, but TF10s sound congested period.
Any of the IEMs listed above (FX700, IE8/IE80, EX1000) is a tier above, no discussion here.

TF10 may have a large soundstage but the sound is so congested that they sound over-detailed with very little separation (no really what I would call precision). No layering whatsoever... I never heard the 3D sound when I had them, even some cheaper HJE-900 were doing better at presenting a nicely structured sound.

Well, you can't disappoint me, I do hear very good separation out of TF10.  Over-detailed?  I find it forgiving and hazy; it is pure fun like Grados in a way, not analytical like, say, K701.  I can't hear this congestion you speak of either.  I do have earphones and have heard earphones that get congested, but not TF10.  It's placement of sounds is also much sharper than the other earphones I have heard, owned, or currently own.  I suppose that you are a very unlucky guy. 
tongue.gif

I asked randomly to see what answers I get, and I get what y'all insist.
Saying only "larger soundstage" is very vague to me as it only talks about apparent size (which can exclude depth and/or height depending on who you talk to) and imaging can be anything from zero to supernatural razor-sharp, layering can be anything from a little to being able to hear "all the way around" each sound (K701, ololol!).

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 50

Quote:

Well, you can't disappoint me, I do hear very good separation out of TF10.  Over-detailed?  I find it forgiving and hazy; it is pure fun like Grados in a way, not analytical like, say, K701.  I can't hear this congestion you speak of either.  I do have earphones and have heard earphones that get congested, but not TF10.  It's placement of sounds is also much sharper than the other earphones I have heard, owned, or currently own.  I suppose that you are a very unlucky guy. 
tongue.gif

Saying only "larger soundstage" is very vague to me as it only talks about apparent size (which can exclude depth and/or height depending on who you talk to) and imaging can be anything from zero to supernatural razor-sharp, layering can be anything from a little to being able to hear "all the way around" each sound (K701, ololol!).

Well to be more specific the FX700 are an improvement over the TF10 in basically every apsect besides speed. They aren't far behind at all in this regard though. They have better clarity, seperation, depth, timbre (this is a very big difference), bass goes deeper and it more textured (also more controlled), mid range has a lot more detail. Definitely more micro detailing as well. Treble is more extended, airy, and has more detail. Sound stage makes the TF10 sound stage sound small IMO.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #37 of 50

Quote:
Well to be more specific the FX700 are an improvement over the TF10 in basically every apsect besides speed. They aren't far behind at all in this regard though. They have better clarity, seperation, depth, timbre (this is a very big difference), bass goes deeper and it more textured (also more controlled), mid range has a lot more detail. Definitely more micro detailing as well. Treble is more extended, airy, and has more detail. Sound stage makes the TF10 sound stage sound small IMO.

This is true. It's also true of many other top tier IEMs. That said, the TF10s strength is not it's sonic qualities per se, it's the level of sonic quality you get for the amount of money you spend. Although the TF10 cannot compete sonically with many more expensive top tiers, it is a very strong contender for the best 'bang for buck' iem, as are the B2 / DBA-02, GR07s and FXT90s etc. 

Quote:

tongue.gif

It's possible that you perceive them in this way as you have not had much experience with higher tier IEMs, which naturally improve significantly upon sonic qualities. The same could be said of me, though I have been lucky enough to have owned a few. One thing I notice when going from a mid/high top tier (such as the SM3 or FX700), to a lower top tier (such as RE-262 or FXT90), is that I suddenly became aware of sonic weaknesses - things which I would not have never noticed before. A similar situation to the above would be a top tier customs owner telling W4 and FAD users that their iems sound congested, as in comparison, they probably do. It's all relative to experience, and in reality, you probably enjoy your TF10s just as much as tienbasse does his FX700s, which is the most important thing.

Anyway, back on to topic: RokYa, what is you're absolute maximum budget (sorry if you've said already)?

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #38 of 50

Quote:
I've tried the Golds and although I think I may have not had the right fit at the time I really didn't like them. My S4's sounds much better. But the Copper's where pretty good, yet I don't think they are worth the price they are at.

I guess different strokes thing applies here because I hated the S4s so much that felt bad even giving them away (which is what I did).

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 50

Quote:

Anyway, back on to topic: RokYa, what is you're absolute maximum budget (sorry if you've said already)?

It's about £150 ($230). Just to update you guys I have ordered the FXT90's from accessoryjack. I'm really hoping I like them as much as the TF10's, minus the fit.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #40 of 50

Quote:
I guess different strokes thing applies here because I hated the S4s so much that felt bad even giving them away (which is what I did).

That's exactly what makes these forums so interesting. Everybody perceives their equipment differently because the enjoyment of music is so subjective. In all fairness though I did try the Golds with my phone which I don't usually do so maybe it would have been a different story if I tested it with my J3.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #41 of 50

Quote:
It's about £150 ($230). Just to update you guys I have ordered the FXT90's from accessoryjack. I'm really hoping I like them as much as the TF10's, minus the fit.

Then the FXT90s fit the bill perfectly. You will not be disappointed. Perhaps you could even spend the remaining £50 on an amp, or a selection of good tips?
evil_smiley.gif

I look forward to your impressions on the FXT90 thread.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #42 of 50
After selling FXT90 and realizing that I missed how well they do many things, I ordered another pair.
Although both the FXT90 and TF10 have a lot of energy, I feel they are different enough to enjoy both.

I just wonder if FX700 would be too aggressive in its treble/bass, with lack of mids compared with FXT90.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #43 of 50

Quote:
After selling FXT90 and realizing that I missed how well they do many things, I ordered another pair.
Although both the FXT90 and TF10 have a lot of energy, I feel they are different enough to enjoy both.

I just wonder if FX700 would be too aggressive in its treble/bass, with lack of mids compared with FXT90.

Coming from the IE8 I was also worried about that.  The fact is I preferred the more aggressive sound the FX700 gives. Its not aggressive in the sense where I get sibilance like on the EX1000 (to these ears the EX1000 was much more aggressive in the treble range). The FX700 is also amazing for low volume listening. The imaging is amazing at even low volumes. With the EX1000 I was not satisfied with such low volume listening and when I turned it up a bit the sibilance got way worse. The mid range really isn't recessed but neutral. Its Bass and treble give the illusion though as it is quite more emphasized when compared to its mid range. With the proper source and tips the mid range is quite forward and detailed IMO. All I can say is if you don't find the TF10s treble range bothersome then you should really have no issue with the FX700s treble :wink: The FX500 may be different though as its treble is quite scratchy and harsh in comparison to its bigger sister.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #44 of 50

Quote:
Then the FXT90s fit the bill perfectly. You will not be disappointed. Perhaps you could even spend the remaining £50 on an amp, or a selection of good tips?
evil_smiley.gif

I look forward to your impressions on the FXT90 thread.

Good point Nulliverse. Which tips are recommended for the FXT90? I was thinking maybe some Complys?

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #45 of 50

Quote:

I actually think that the FX700 is less aggressive than the FXT90, who's presentation is significantly more forward and places you very close to the music. In comparison, the FX700 places you further away, giving the impression of live music played on a stage. The FXT90s also have a much narrower sound stage (though I'd say the two are equal in depth), giving the music a more 'in-your-face' feel. Personally I feel that these are trade-offs rather than weaknesses on the FXT90s part, as both presentations are enjoyable in equal measures.    

The FX-700 displays significantly more detail retrieval in all areas of the frequency spectrum, but particularly treble and bass. What makes it such a good IEM is that it does this without sounding analytical, cold, or soul-less. The FXT90 is less refined and puts more emphasis on the sound as a whole, creating an excellent sense of cohesion.

I'n summary, I'd say the FX-700 puts emphasis on coherance, whilst the FXT90 puts more emphasis on cohesion.

Quote:
Coming from the IE8 I was also worried about that.  The fact is I preferred the more aggressive sound the FX700 gives. Its not aggressive in the sense where I get sibilance like on the EX1000 (to these ears the EX1000 was much more aggressive in the treble range). The FX700 is also amazing for low volume listening. The imaging is amazing at even low volumes. With the EX1000 I was not satisfied with such low volume listening and when I turned it up a bit the sibilance got way worse. The mid range really isn't recessed but neutral. Its Bass and treble give the illusion though as it is quite more emphasized when compared to its mid range. With the proper source and tips the mid range is quite forward and detailed IMO. All I can say is if you don't find the TF10s treble range bothersome then you should really have no issue with the FX700s treble :wink: The FX500 may be different though as its treble is quite scratchy and harsh in comparison to its bigger sister.

Agreed. The imaging is remarkable, and that timbre... wow. Coming from the FXT90 to the FX-700s, the mids do sound a bit recessed, but like you say, this is more than likely due to the treble and bass emphasis. Out of interest, what source and tips are you using?

Quote:
Good point Nulliverse. Which tips are recommended for the FXT90? I was thinking maybe some Complys?

I've heard very good reports from people using Complys Ts-400s, but equally good reports from people using Monster Supertips (foam), Ultimate Ears single flange and MEElectronics double flange. I've tried all of the above and am currently using JAYS single flange, which are definitely my favorite so far.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back