Tesla T1 Vs. Lcd-2rev2
Sep 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #61 of 97
I've owned both.  First with the Woo WA22 and now with my fabulous Cavalli Liquid Fire.  The LCD wins on all counts.  I do like the looks of the T1 but not the hard wired cables.  LCD all the way!

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #62 of 97
Quote:

That's not an opinion.  It is, quite literally, a prejudice.  

Head-fi is valuable because people articulately describe their subjective experiences of all the different equipment.  Others read these people's _opinions_ of equipment, size up if the person speaking values the same qualities of sound based on similar experiences of equipment both have experienced, and weight those opinions against all the others who have similar and differing opinions.  To express an opinion about equipment without having experienced it is basically falsely inserting a data-point, a voice that other people weigh in their understanding and their calculations.. until they realize that you're talking out of your ass and have to go back and mentally redact your input from their calculations... and also form an opinion of wariness and distrust for the source of said misinformation.     

He's saying that opinions about what one hasn't heard are as informative as listening to a fart.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #63 of 97
Quote:

He's saying that opinions about what one hasn't heard are as informative as listening to a fart.

Gee, I really like the way you've managed to reduce some hideously convoluted English down to a single, vaguely offensive (but highly memorable) image.
biggrin.gif

Shows real flair.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #64 of 97
Quote:
I've owned both.  First with the Woo WA22 and now with my fabulous Cavalli Liquid Fire.  The LCD wins on all counts.  I do like the looks of the T1 but not the hard wired cables.  LCD all the way!

Funny, I've owned all said headphones/amps mentioned here and I agree!

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

Head-fi is valuable because people articulately describe their subjective experiences of all the different equipment.  Others read these people's _opinions_ of equipment, size up if the person speaking values the same qualities of sound based on similar experiences of equipment both have experienced, and weight those opinions against all the others who have similar and differing opinions.  To express an opinion about equipment without having experienced it is basically falsely inserting a data-point, a voice that other people weigh in their understanding and their calculations.. until they realize that you're talking out of your ass and have to go back and mentally redact your input from their calculations... and also form an opinion of wariness and distrust for the source of said misinformation.     

Excellent post.

People in general use the word "know" to often and incorrectly. It is impossible to know something without direct experience. This point cannot be emphasised enough, especially when dealing with things like audio equipment.

Person A says the sky is blue. He says this because has seen the sky and experienced it's blue-ness.
Person B says the sky is blue. He says this because Person A told him that it is blue.

Now why Person B certainly knows what blue is from experience of other blue things, he has not seen or experienced the blue-ness of the sky and is thus basing his information on someone elses, Person A in this case. What Person B is actually using here is his imagaination, not his knowledge. If Person B were to actually see the sky, he may experience it as red or green. How is he to to know until he experiences it? More importantly, how are you to know? You are not Person B, you do not know what he sees or hears. You can have an idea, you can assume, you can recommend based on his articulation of his experience and of yours, but you cannot know what anyone else experiences in any given case.

What we can do is compare each of our subjective experiences and go from there. In fact, this is all we can do...

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

Quote:
Excellent post.

People in general use the word "know" to often and incorrectly. It is impossible to know something without direct experience. This point cannot be emphasised enough, especially when dealing with things like audio equipment.

Person A says the sky is blue. He says this because has seen the sky and experienced it's blue-ness.
Person B says the sky is blue. He says this because Person A told him that it is blue.

Now why Person B certainly knows what blue is from experience of other blue things, he has not seen or experienced the blue-ness of the sky and is thus basing his information on someone elses, Person A in this case. What Person B is actually using here is his imagaination, not his knowledge. If Person B were to actually see the sky, he may experience it as red or green. How is he to to know until he experiences it? More importantly, how are you to know? You are not Person B, you do not know what he sees or hears. You can have an idea, you can assume, you can recommend based on his articulation of his experience and of yours, but you cannot know what anyone else experiences in any given case.

What we can do is compare each of our subjective experiences and go from there. In fact, this is all we can do...

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #69 of 97
Quote:
The Dt 990's ,I've only listened to them for 6-7 hours..as of now,they do not seem bright..,they are slightly bassy.{I am NOT a basshead}
Let me listen to them for a week,and I'll come back to you with more detaled opinion

Maybe I'll clean out my old cryoe'd ears & that will brighten things up a bit???

One more thing about the dt990's,they have a great headband..I've already commented on the earpads..
So Far,I'm a hapy little cryoe'd eared head-fier....{say that 10x's}

If you are not afraid to use an Equalizer such as the one in foobar2000, then you can make 990 to sound very acceptable. When I use an equalizer to adjust the sound character, I use the frequency curve on headphones.com to provide some hints about which frequency to reduce, which to enhance. The final result is quite good.

I used not to like 990 much because its prominent low and high killed the important mid frequency. But I recently listen to 990 most of the time.  

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #70 of 97
Quote:

AGREED ! I Can't imagine anyone to deny the greatness of the Audeze sound after hearing it with a proper source and powerful amp ! I mean most of the headphones compete in the treble area , i can understand now why people hated the bass on headphones in the past before LCDs came out, because it muddies the sound but somehow Audeze combined both. the only thing that the T1 did better than the LCD2 is the 3D sound stage (LCD2 is 3D also but with less air) and maybe comfort(not for me, i find the LCD2s more comfortable, you'll be surprised of how comfy the leather can be ) but on the other hand you're sacrificing the Reality of the sound. I remember the reactions of some of my friends when they first listened to the Audeze, They just freak out from the vividness and reality of the Audeze sound.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #71 of 97
i like both T1 and LCD2

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #73 of 97
I didn't read the whole thread but enough of the T1 negatives to chime in here.  People who have bad things to say about the T1s really need to say what amp they were using and whether it was single ended or balanced. 
I had LCD2r1s and an O2 amp.  I was disappointed until I tried the high gain.  Still I sold them looking to the T1s as my grail.  I was mostly drawn to the increased soundstaging as I found the LCD2s a little too much in my head.
So.. T1s arrive and boy... they sounded anemic, no bass, not too much life anywhere.   Mine came terminated with a 4 pin xlr so I got a used RSA protector and waited for the adapter to run the T1s balanced.  In the meantime I kept reading, looking for replacements as I was thoroughly disappointed.  The HD800s looked like the next stretch but the cost kept me away... 
So.. the adapter arrives and WOW... the T1s woke up.  Everything was WAY better.  The bass didn't slam like LCD2s but was tight and controlled, nicely extended.  Things only got better when I brought in a Violectric V181 balanced amp.  The vocals became real with micro detail of throat spittle (ha ha) and those strange sounds you can hear from a mouth in live jazz recordings. (think Diana Krall).   I now have an SR-71B to go with a CLAS and the T1s and I am quite happy.   They are very detailed but I could say forgiving in the treble.  Compared to my Stax SR-507 they are quite a bit smoother up top but again without losing definition.  The Violectric can make them sound a little dry at times, compared to the Stax.

I would now like to try some LCD2s balanced with some of these amps to really get a sense and will probably sell/trade the Stax for a set.

I'm sure there are some who have really given the T1s a chance and don't like them but they are headphones that really need quality upstream to get going.  And Balanced really helps them.

Quote:
People are different?  I have both currently and the the LCD2 is in storage while T1's gets all the listening time.  All balanced. 

Everyone's got different music tastes.

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #74 of 97
What music were you listening to when you had those impressions, out of interest? 

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #75 of 97
Which impressions specifically?  Certain comments are taken from certain kinds of music. The "throat" spittle comment is from "Case of You" from Diana Krall's live in Paris concert.  It's an old favourite from back in the days when I used to have a speaker based rig.  There's lots of venue information in this recording even if it's not the quietest with some real distortion at the end.
I also listen to a lot of Early Music and baroque works.  A lot of chamber pieces that have been recorded to sound as such can be difficult as the room effects can cause some smearing of the sound.  The Stax SR-507 can get a little screechy with violins on some recordings.  
Early on with the T1s and improper amping, bands like NIN sounded awful.  Bass would have no definition and the sound really seemed like the system was struggling to provide information but didn't have the juice.
Another album that can sound great or not depending on gear is Alison Krauss's "Lonely Runs Both Ways"

Again, if you are interested in specific points of mine let me know and I can be more specific about what music informed these impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back