Tesla T1 Vs. Lcd-2rev2
Jul 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #16 of 97
I've had the T1, the LCD2 Rev. 1 and the Rev. 2. I'd say that the T1 and LCD-2 R.1 are on about the same level of performance, but voiced differently. The T1 has a treble peak that bothers some people - I ultimately decided to sell them because of this peak. The LCD-2 R.1 doesn't have any major irregularities in the frequency response, but on the other side its soundstage is, while quite large, a bit unnatural. This seems to be common with the modern orthodynamics...

If I had to choose between the T1 and the LCD2 R.2, I'd go with the T1. The Rev.2 sounded a bit uninvolving and flat to me, completely unlike the Rev. 1 - like comparing meat to tofu. Well, something like that. This also means that - to me - the T1 and the Rev.2 do not complement each other very well.
Anyway, both the T1 and the LCD2 Rev.1 are excellent choices.
Also, I'm sure that there are people who prefer the Rev.2 over the Rev.1. Matter of taste, really...

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #17 of 97
Quote:
I've had the T1, the LCD2 Rev. 1 and the Rev. 2. I'd say that the T1 and LCD-2 R.1 are on about the same level of performance, but voiced differently. The T1 has a treble peak that bothers some people - I ultimately decided to sell them because of this peak. The LCD-2 R.1 doesn't have any major irregularities in the frequency response, but on the other side its soundstage is, while quite large, a bit unnatural. This seems to be common with the modern orthodynamics...

If I had to choose between the T1 and the LCD2 R.2, I'd go with the T1. The Rev.2 sounded a bit uninvolving and flat to me, completely unlike the Rev. 1 - like comparing meat to tofu. Well, something like that. This also means that - to me - the T1 and the Rev.2 do not complement each other very well.
Anyway, both the T1 and the LCD2 Rev.1 are excellent choices.
Also, I'm sure that there are people who prefer the Rev.2 over the Rev.1. Matter of taste, really...

Never, sacrilege I say!! 
blink.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 97
I repent! Now, please put those torches and pitchforks away...
tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I thought that the Rev.2 did indeed sound a bit lifeless. But we have to differentiate: There are various "sub-revisions" of the R.2 around. I've had the one with the bamboo housing. It is well possible that earlier Rev.2's sound different from these newer ones.
Anyway, I thought that the Rev. 1 sounded considerably more involving than the Rev. 2. The LCD2 is often said to be dark/warm sounding: In my opinion, this does apply to the Rev. 1, but not the Rev. 2. I'd actually say that the latter sounds flat, as in flat frequency response*. This doesn't mean it's bad sounding or boring, not at all - depending on one's taste this type of sound can be preferable to the less neutral sound of the R.1. I did enjoy the darker sound of the R.1 a lot more though.
*No, I don't claim to know exactly what a flat frequency response sounds like. But the Rev.2 did sound to me as it did not have any major peaks or valleys in its frequency response.

I do regret having sold the Rev.1. If it wasn't for the rather unnatural soundstage (and the weight), it would be a truly excellent headphone.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #19 of 97
Quote:
The T1 is far from neutral. The T1 also doesn't leak nearly as much sound as any Audeze. Which leads me to ask
have you even heard them? They are speakers between your ears. haha

Furthermore, the T1 is a nice complimentary headphone to the darker more laid back sound of the LCD-2. It's also just a different house sound,
none the less it's a fun one. Lastly I've heard the DT880 is pretty similar to the T1, but not ever having heard it, I'll keep my mouth shut.

haha, yeah i get it. just so you know, you don't have to listen to headphones to know how it sounds. No offense but i don't think you even read enough about them, " far from neutral ", REALLY ?! what is close to neutral in your opinion ?!!

Audeze headphones designed like closed headphones, the leather earpads, the wood and the thick padding to cover the driver so it's not like HD 800\700\T1, the driver is breathing naturally without any padding in the way. They also sound like a closed headphones, and please i'm not interested in debating so just ignore me or if you insist give some facts  ... ;p

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 97
Quote:
Audeze headphones designed like closed headphones [...] They also sound like a closed headphones [...]

Huh? There are some things I dislike about the Audezes, but they definetly do not sound like closed headphones. They do not have an exaggerated soundstage, true, but the Sennheiser HD600/650 for example, which are about as open as possible, sound more closed-in than the LCD2.
For what it's worth I still prefer the HD600's soundstage. The LCD-2's soundstage sounded a bit unnatural to me, placing instruments in locations where they do not belong, and lacking in coherence. But they do not sound like a closed headphone.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #21 of 97
Medo, I asked if you had heard the headphone (Audeze) because you made a complaint about how the T1 bleeds so much noise out.
Well, have you heard the Audeze cans because they are loud and leak a lot of noise. Hence the open back.

Also, I am just really unsure if you're confusing what neutral actually is. In any case, maybe you just haven't listened to a lot of headphones or gear.
And that's ok, I think comments like Audeze headphones designed like closed headphones is troubling, they don't sound
closed at all, at least, IMO. So I am going to ask again have you actually heard these headphones, or are you just
sharing an opinion you gathered from reading about it?

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 97
No way ,do the Lcd-2's sound like a closed end phone..
Often ,I crank up the volume to 11-12 oclock ,put them aside on my desktop & use them like speakers.

Agreed,not the best way to listen ,but doing paper work,editing photographs at me desk ...where I'm constantly getting up,,moving around -it works fine.

The lcd-2's leak like crazy....

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #23 of 97
Quote:

Often ,I crank up the volume to 11-12 oclock ,put them aside on my desktop & use them like speakers.

Haha I do the same thing, especially when I'm getting fatigued.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 97
Quote:
Haha I do the same thing, especially when I'm getting fatigued.

You were the one ,who gave me that idea...when I first joined Head-fi-----remember
Should make a correction..crank up the volume to 1-2 o'clock is more like it...especially when I'm listening to my friend.... Beethoven...try it-you'll like it

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 97
Quote:

You were the one ,who gave me that idea...when I first joined Head-fi-----remember
Should make a correction..crank up the volume to 1-2 o'clock is more like it...especially when I'm listening to my friend.... Beethoven...try it-you'll like it

I actually forgot. haha
LOL!
I always do it with metal, but I'll try some classical music. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 97
Quote:
No way ,do the Lcd-2's sound like a closed end phone..

Agreed,not the best way to listen ,but doing paper work,editing photographs at me desk ...where I'm constantly getting up,,moving around -it works fine.

The lcd-2's leak like crazy....

Heck yeah. I do that all the time when I don't feel like putting my speakers on at night at a very low volume or with some crappy sounding mp3s. Sounds loud and great, like mini-speakers.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 97
Cory,
When you decide to re-try some classical----put on Beethovens 8th. symphony...1st & 2nd,parts..give a good listen.

I listened to it for hours ,last saturday...;used....lcd-2's--lorenz tubes....I haven't listened to it for many,many years,man,I was totally blown away..I think ,he was deaf,when he wrote it..?????

Amazing...makes you think...what was going through, his mind,when he actually composed it?
Anyway,give it a shot..

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #28 of 97
Quote:
Cory,
When you decide to re-try some classical----put on Beethovens 8th. symphony...1st & 2nd,parts..give a good listen.

I listened to it for hours ,last saturday...;used....lcd-2's--lorenz tubes....I haven't listened to it for many,many years,man,I was totally blown away..I think ,he was deaf,when he wrote it..?????

Amazing...makes you think...what was going through, his mind,when he actually composed it?
Anyway,give it a shot..

Yep, will do. I've given the classical a rest for almost a week now. Might be time to pick it up again.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #29 of 97
Yeah,take your time with this...try it..if it turns you off...stop-then go back to it at a later date-thats what I do ,anyway.,
Just my ....02cents

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #30 of 97

Quote:

The isolation is far from zero. In fact, the isolation is better than the HiFiMAN HE-500 and HE-6 - and even better compared to the Stax SR-007mkII. The reason is simply the amount of woven fabric the manufacturers apply to their headphones. Stax = none. HifIMAN = some. Audeze = more.

i meant Audeze have deep bass and small sound stage compared to the other high-end headphones like the Sens, hfiman, beyerdynamic and even the closed flagships from audio technica has wider sound stage.

Quote:
Medo, I asked if you had heard the headphone (Audeze) because you made a complaint about how the T1 bleeds so much noise out.
Well, have you heard the Audeze cans because they are loud and leak a lot of noise. Hence the open back.

Also, I am just really unsure if you're confusing what neutral actually is. In any case, maybe you just haven't listened to a lot of headphones or gear.
And that's ok, I think comments like Audeze headphones designed like closed headphones is troubling, they don't sound
closed at all, at least, IMO. So I am going to ask again have you actually heard these headphones, or are you just
sharing an opinion you gathered from reading about it?

of course i didn't hear them, but opinions from other people who has it can tell you a lot about it.

and i think the T1 is a great headphones but i dislike it because they are JUST like speakers. Treble, bass, soundstage, sound sig and everything about it is just neutral and normal. i had more fun with my D5k than the T1. also they're considered treble-centric headphones and i like bass-centric headphones.

Quote:

Huh? There are some things I dislike about the Audezes, but they definetly do not sound like closed headphones. They do not have an exaggerated soundstage, true, but the Sennheiser HD600/650 for example, which are about as open as possible, sound more closed-in than the LCD2.
For what it's worth I still prefer the HD600's soundstage. The LCD-2's soundstage sounded a bit unnatural to me, placing instruments in locations where they do not belong, and lacking in coherence. But they do not sound like a closed headphone.

i don't care about soundstage much, denons sound stage is wide enough for me and you can get used to any sound stage pretty quickly. i don't know why people care too much about the sound stage, it's just more air between instruments, may be except for the sound stage of the T1 which is more like 3D, but the bass was kinda relaxed and weak against the D5k. i had to give it up for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back