Tempotec V1 & V1A
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #137 of 237
I saw this comment on vortex review, can anyone tells their experience? I'm thinking about buying this but I'm using the same dongle and I'm worried the player might not work as intended.

"Hello Vortex, I have a question for you m8.

I own a V1, and I am using with various external USB DACs.
Among those I own a Meizu Hifi DAC Pro dongle, and it happens that this is the sole DAC I have which does not have an internal supply, so needs to get its juice from the USB host. All the other dacs I own have internal batteries.

Now: When I connect an independently powered DAC to V1 via the USB port, it all works perfectly and I NEVER get a disconnection.

The Meizu dongle, instead, works flawlessly if and only if the V1 is fully charged.
As soon as V1's battery drains by 20-ish% of its total Meizu Dongle gets disconnected, and there is no way to make V1 "catch" it again (turn on/off, try fiddling with options, nothing).
Recharging V1 to full battery makes it all normal again: Meizu is connected and works, until it drains 20%. And so forth.

The Meizu Dongle itself seems in perfect shape. When connected to a couple of other sources I have it works normally all the way through.

My question for you is: does such behaviour happen also between the V1 and the Sonata HD Pro dongle ?
If it does not, as I presume, and knowing that the Meizu dongle actually requires much less input power than Sonata's, I would conclude my V1 is faulty, or a problem exists in the firmware (?).

Thanks in advance for your ideas !
"

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #138 of 237
I saw this comment on vortex review, can anyone tells their experience? I'm thinking about buying this but I'm using the same dongle and I'm worried the player might not work as intended.

"Hello Vortex, I have a question for you m8.

I own a V1, and I am using with various external USB DACs.
Among those I own a Meizu Hifi DAC Pro dongle, and it happens that this is the sole DAC I have which does not have an internal supply, so needs to get its juice from the USB host. All the other dacs I own have internal batteries.

Now: When I connect an independently powered DAC to V1 via the USB port, it all works perfectly and I NEVER get a disconnection.

The Meizu dongle, instead, works flawlessly if and only if the V1 is fully charged.
As soon as V1's battery drains by 20-ish% of its total Meizu Dongle gets disconnected, and there is no way to make V1 "catch" it again (turn on/off, try fiddling with options, nothing).
Recharging V1 to full battery makes it all normal again: Meizu is connected and works, until it drains 20%. And so forth.

The Meizu Dongle itself seems in perfect shape. When connected to a couple of other sources I have it works normally all the way through.

My question for you is: does such behaviour happen also between the V1 and the Sonata HD Pro dongle ?
If it does not, as I presume, and knowing that the Meizu dongle actually requires much less input power than Sonata's, I would conclude my V1 is faulty, or a problem exists in the firmware (?).

Thanks in advance for your ideas !
"
This also happened to me. The V1 crashes completely. After reading some comments like this, I decided not to use the two together. I have other dongles that work normally with V1, and Sonata hd pro is one of them.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #139 of 237
I have tried 3 different dongles with the V1-A and they all seem to be fine. The Meizu Hifi Pro, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and a generic one with the ALC5686 chipset.
The Sonata HD Pro is a little different as it has it's own volume control.
The ALC5686 supports inline controls and this actually works with the V1-A surprisingly.
Also that is my video :)

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #141 of 237
I can't even recommend Sonata HD (not Pro) for V1 - it drains the battery in about an hour, but especially V1 is insanely warming up from the battery and the PCB would probably not last repeatedly. Hiby W3 with bluetooth LDAC and its own battery is definitely a better solution and now it is with a very nice discount.
It nicely powers my Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 Ohm at volume 100, IEM at volume 25-30. Sonata HD is great as a DAC for PC, there is no mistake.

Has anyone been able to connect an external USB key without any problems ?? None of the 3 attempts passed, always reporting the disconnection of the USB stick

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #142 of 237
Is anybody facing any severe BT stuttering issues, just out of the blue, when connecting to BT IEM/speakers? Songs are dropping off for 1 sec every 5 seconds, so it is almost impossible to listen to anything.

I'm owning two V1-A, as I bought a second player to be mainly used for outdoor sports.
- 1st one is going strong and I have no issues at all.
- 2nd one got problems with headphones jack just 1 month after receiving the player (similar issue as other users from this thread). So I started to use the player only with bluetooth connection. All was ok for 2 months, with a good and stable connection, using 3 different BT IEMs. Today, out of the blue, the player started to stutter heavily on any BT IEM, dropping off 1 sec of music every 5 seconds.

I went through all these actions, but nothing solved the problem: switched SD card slot; changed SD card; reset to factory setting; flashed original firmware; flashed Vortex FW; changed all possible BT connection settings; forgot and reconnect all 3 BT IEMs. SD card and BT IEMs works perfectly with my 1st V1-A player, and I always had the player 20 cm away from IEMs. Any suggestion for further checks?

For Info, I also tried to use an USB dongle (Tempotec Sonata HD Pro) as workaround for a wired connection... and 80% of time it is not recognized by the player.
So it seems this 2nd player is suffering all kind of issues, but sending back to China for fixes is not an option (shipping fees are as expensive as the player).

If the player is heading to the garbage can, do you have any suggestion for another player (USD 60 or cheaper) which is light, small, with good BT range/stable connection and has a normal way to play files via BT? E.g. Benjie S5 is quite ok, but the way to manage files via BT is abismal (it generates 1 huge list with ALL songs on the player and plays them in alphabetical order!). "Play through folders" is also a requirement (which Benjie S5 is missing).

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #143 of 237
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #144 of 237
Can V1 be used as USB in from PC >>> coaxial out to external DAC?

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #146 of 237
Oct 24, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #147 of 237
Is there a case for this device ?
Not yet so I have made one by myself, an ugly one but doing its job :relieved:

IMG_20201025_004228.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #150 of 237
I'm thinking of getting a V1 in the Ali 11/11 sales.
Does a standard 3.5mm 3 pole cable work with the coax output and input on Mojo?
I was expecting I needed a 2 pole cable but could not see any, however the below showed up.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32733726650.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back