Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/AMP-> Amazing sound, small size, affordable price!
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #61 of 138
Hi, total board newb here...

The Tempotec works with Google's Pixel 5, which is remakable. Not every 3.5 mm / USB dongle does that. Probably it relates to active electronics on the USB side. Some work with all Pixels except the 5.

Based on this thread, I think the Tempotec unit is almost the best answer to my need but... when I'm using my phones, it's usually for several hours a day. Which means I can pull the phone's battery down - not good. My present phone has a 3.5 mm socket and I can add an external battery pack - easy-peasy.

In the discussion here, I saw a reference to a microUSB port. Can I power my phone through this port or is it audio-only?

Is anyone aware of a Plan B audio&power solution. I have the question pending in a Pixel 5 user forum, of course, but can't hurt to broaden the search.
The microUSB port is the digital input to the Pro.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #63 of 138
I bought the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro today to drive my Sennheiser HD 560s (120 ohm impedance, 110 db sensitivity), and I must admit I'm underwhelmed so far.

I know this is a dongle and not a nuclear substation for power, but it seems like the Sonata HD Pro only gives me about two more clicks of volume than driving the 560s straight from my iPhone 12 and the Apple Lightning DAC dongle. The sound isn't really cleaned up THAT much, either. I expected more considering the praise here and other audiophile lairs online.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or were my expectations too high? Or does this prove again that the Apple Lightning DAC dongle is the best $9 bargain in hi-fi?

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #65 of 138
Install Sonata BHD firmware to have more power
Install firmware for a balanced unit into an unbalanced unit? That sounds like it's asking for trouble.

Until then, a very helpful dude at Audio Science Review just gave me a tip that transformed this thing.

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro recognizes the HD 560s as low impedance cans and switches automatically to its low gain mode. You need to follow these steps to fool the Sonata HD Pro into thinking the HD 560s need max power:
  1. Connect the 3.5-mm adapter that comes with the HD 560s into the Sonata unit. (The HD 560s come stock with a 6.35-mm plug)
  2. Connect the Sonata with the 3.5-mm adapter to your source (phone or laptop) with the provided cable so the source recognizes the connected HD Sonata.
  3. Connect your headphone cable into the 3.5 mm adapter connected to the Sonata and your source.
Wonky as hell, part of the charm and frustration of Chi-fi devices. But damn if it didn’t work. I’m listening comfortably to my 560s from my iPhone 12 at half-volume, with better fidelity because of the additional power.

I don't need to do this trick with my Meze 99 Classics and Moondrop Starfield because they're both low impedance and high sensitivity and don't need the high-gain power. Hell, they both really don't need amping, but they sound better with the Tempotec's amplification.

One of the reasons I like the Tempotec is that it comes with a MiFi (Apple)-certified adapter. No need for the Apple USB Camera Connector. I wish the Tempotec cable was sturdier, but that’s the price of a $58 Chi-fi device, I guess.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #66 of 138
Install firmware for a balanced unit into an unbalanced unit? That sounds like it's asking for trouble.

Until then, a very helpful dude at Audio Science Review just gave me a tip that transformed this thing.

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro recognizes the HD 560s as low impedance cans and switches automatically to its low gain mode. You need to follow these steps to fool the Sonata HD Pro into thinking the HD 560s need max power:
  1. Connect the 3.5-mm adapter that comes with the HD 560s into the Sonata unit. (The HD 560s come stock with a 6.35-mm plug)
  2. Connect the Sonata with the 3.5-mm adapter to your source (phone or laptop) with the provided cable so the source recognizes the connected HD Sonata.
  3. Connect your headphone cable into the 3.5 mm adapter connected to the Sonata and your source.
Wonky as hell, part of the charm and frustration of Chi-fi devices. But damn if it didn’t work. I’m listening comfortably to my 560s from my iPhone 12 at half-volume, with better fidelity because of the additional power.

I don't need to do this trick with my Meze 99 Classics and Moondrop Starfield because they're both low impedance and high sensitivity and don't need the high-gain power. Hell, they both really don't need amping, but they sound better with the Tempotec's amplification.

One of the reasons I like the Tempotec is that it comes with a MiFi (Apple)-certified adapter. No need for the Apple USB Camera Connector. I wish the Tempotec cable was sturdier, but that’s the price of a $58 Chi-fi device, I guess.
Thank you! Good job !

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #71 of 138
With BHD firmware i don't have to do the trick with 3.5 mm adaptor

Hi @jeejack , how did you install the BHD firmware on your tempotec Sonata HD Pro? I've downloaded the firmware and documents from the Tempotec site for BHD firmware. During installation, I've tried all the permutations of numbers they request for EEPROM but it keeps saying "USB device is not found".

And by any chance, how does the BHD firmware on the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro compare to the stock HD Pro with 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter trick?

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #72 of 138
Hi @jeejack , how did you install the BHD firmware on your tempotec Sonata HD Pro? I've downloaded the firmware and documents from the Tempotec site for BHD firmware. During installation, I've tried all the permutations of numbers they request for EEPROM but it keeps saying "USB device is not found".

And by any chance, how does the BHD firmware on the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro compare to the stock HD Pro with 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter trick?
It looks like you didn't install the windows driver. Windows does not see your device. Look in device manager. The firmware update is done the same ( you have to change the numbers). I haven't tried any 3.5 mm adapter but with the new firmware it is much more powerful

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #73 of 138
Dumb question:

1) What should I set this to?
delete.PNG

2) I remember reading I want to max my PC's volume and then adjust volume according on the sonata, but I noticed the volume step thing goes from low to loud in like one step at a certain point. Is it ok if I max the Sonata's volume instead and adjust volume accordingly from pc?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #74 of 138
Dumb question:

1) What should I set this to?

2) I remember reading I want to max my PC's volume and then adjust volume according on the sonata, but I noticed the volume step thing goes from low to loud in like one step at a certain point. Is it ok if I max the Sonata's volume instead and adjust volume accordingly from pc?
Don't have an answer to your first question. But for second question, I set my Sonata HD Pro's volume to max and use my phone or laptop to adjust the volume at narrow steps. Perhaps my only complaint against the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is the gap between volume steps is FAR too wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back