Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/AMP-> Amazing sound, small size, affordable price!
Dec 5, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #46 of 138
I got mine Tempotec Sonata HD PRO few month ago. Best value to sound for a price, better than ALC5686 dongle i own previously.
My only concerned is, you cannot pair Sonata HD Pro with additional external Amplifier without dealing with clicking or popping intermittent sound between music tracks. You can pair it, if only you can deal with that bit of annoyance for better Sound.
In my case it's Sonata HD PRO + Nx3s (Op Amp Muses8920) jack on my phone.
I don't hear any clicking or other artifacts with mine when I pair it with my rHead, P5 or Scherzo Andante amps.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #47 of 138
I don't hear any clicking or other artifacts with mine when I pair it with my rHead, P5 or Scherzo Andante amps.
I hear no clicking if I only jack in with iem or headphone without adding in anything to it. I also heard other has encounter similar problem like mine popping intermittent changing between song .
So what's your true secret to remedy this! Spill it!

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #48 of 138
I hear no clicking if I only jack in with iem or headphone without adding in anything to it. I also heard other has encounter similar problem like mine popping intermittent changing between song .
So what's your true secret to remedy this! Spill it!
My configuration: Source is Moto G7 Power > UAPP > Cable Creation cable with host end to source > Tempotec SonataHD Pro > Scherzo Andante > LZ-A7 via silver interconnect.
All battery power, no mains connection anywhere in the chain.
Black background, no clicking or other noises between tracks. Same with Hiby music app instead of UAPP.
No special mods or tweaks, just great sound!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #49 of 138
My configuration: Source is Moto G7 Power > UAPP > Cable Creation cable with host end to source > Tempotec SonataHD Pro > Scherzo Andante > LZ-A7 via silver interconnect.
All battery power, no mains connection anywhere in the chain.
Black background, no clicking or other noises between tracks. Same with Hiby music app instead of UAPP.
No special mods or tweaks, just great sound!
Probably change of cable i need to apply to my setup and uhm Scherzo Andante.... I thought it was some premium fancy name portable amplifier. But instead I was introduced to a fine cultural pieces, a welcoming find indeed i guess.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #50 of 138
Hi guys. Been using the dongle for a while, UAPP and source music is my android smartphone. It's been great performing to listen to music from this setup.
The problem is when using USB DAC, there's no sound when playing another app for example YT.
When not using USB DAC (direct hi-res) it's work either UAPP and other apps.
It is USB DAC can only perform from UAPP or there is wrong from setting?

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #51 of 138
Hi guys. Been using the dongle for a while, UAPP and source music is my android smartphone. It's been great performing to listen to music from this setup.
The problem is when using USB DAC, there's no sound when playing another app for example YT.
When not using USB DAC (direct hi-res) it's work either UAPP and other apps.
It is USB DAC can only perform from UAPP or there is wrong from setting?
UAPP will take over exclusively if you enable it via the popup when connecting the dongle. Just close uapp by several back clicks or close the popup and your other app should start to play. Works that way on my phone.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #52 of 138
There's an option on UAPP that lets other apps take over the DAC if you put it in background. That said, Tempotec stuff (HD Pro, BHD) just don't play nice on my phone without UAPP (unlike Musiland's) and refuses to produce sounds on any other app regardless if I launch UAPP or not so if you got incompatible phones/android version like me then you're probably SOL.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #53 of 138
There's an option on UAPP that lets other apps take over the DAC if you put it in background. That said, Tempotec stuff (HD Pro, BHD) just don't play nice on my phone without UAPP (unlike Musiland's) and refuses to produce sounds on any other app regardless if I launch UAPP or not so if you got incompatible phones/android version like me then you're probably SOL.

Already check those option in system setting, but when playing other apps (UAPP on background) like YT it not allow the sound and the video become laggy/stuttering.
I think it is what it is, the USB DAC mode only for music.

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #54 of 138
Hello,
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out which firmware version is installed on a Tempotec Sonata HD PRO?
Connected on PC, in device manager for this device there are many properties and maybe firmware information is "coded" in one of these. :thinking:

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #56 of 138
Just discovered another brilliant use for the miracle whistle: as a loopback recording device. There's a ton of music on the Internet that's simply not available to buy (think covers, mixes etc), but that I'd like to listen to on the go on my non-streaming DAP. With a DAW program like Audacity, you can capture any audio that's currently being output from your PC by switching the recording device to loopback mode, somewhat analogous to recording onto a tape from another source in the old days, except now the "tape" is Audacity. Trying to do this with my ThinkPad's built-in audio chipset results in a muted, sucked-out mess. Using the miracle whistle, however, the dub is essentially transparent.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #57 of 138
My 2.5 mm of the Sonata HD Pro is enroute from HifiGo. Hopefully it will prove as satisfactory as my 3.5 mm version..

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #59 of 138
Glad to hear that! Yes, it is the Bhd.

EDIT:
I just received my Bhd and am greatly impressed with the build quality as well as the performance! It's also nice that the volume control has smaller steps than that of the Pro.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #60 of 138
Hi, total board newb here...

The Tempotec works with Google's Pixel 5, which is remakable. Not every 3.5 mm / USB dongle does that. Probably it relates to active electronics on the USB side. Some work with all Pixels except the 5.

Based on this thread, I think the Tempotec unit is almost the best answer to my need but... when I'm using my phones, it's usually for several hours a day. Which means I can pull the phone's battery down - not good. My present phone has a 3.5 mm socket and I can add an external battery pack - easy-peasy.

In the discussion here, I saw a reference to a microUSB port. Can I power my phone through this port or is it audio-only?

Is anyone aware of a Plan B audio&power solution. I have the question pending in a Pixel 5 user forum, of course, but can't hurt to broaden the search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back