Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/AMP-> Amazing sound, small size, affordable price!
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #136 of 138
The E1DA 9038D is very hiss free and has better technical performance than the Sonata HD Pro (in soundstage, microdetails, imaging, instrument separation). Very neutral too, so no added colouration. It has an advertised 0.07 ohm output impedance, so it is a great pairing with low impedance multi driver type IEMs.

The E1DA 9038D has some firmware mods to unlock volume caps, add tube colourations etc. It can also power more hungry gear than the Sonata HD Pro, so it is an all round upgrade from the Sonata HD Pro. Only thing is the 9038D sucks power from phones quite substantially, so best to bring a power bank along.
I have not experienced any coloration with the Sonata HD Pro. And I own two of them. It's perfectly neutral.

People should also be wary of the disclaimer that Linsoul has about the 9038D
9038D contains a high-sensitive I/V stage that may cause audible noise when your phone uses LTE 4G, 5g. Some newest hardware may have issues like "stuttering" with USB3(Macbook pro 2020, MS Suface 2020, Lenovo Carbone 2020, Acer SF313-52-71Y7 2020)
https://www.linsoul.com/products/e1da-9038d

So the Sonata HD Pro might be the better choice with some devices.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #137 of 138
I have not experienced any coloration with the Sonata HD Pro. And I own two of them. It's perfectly neutral.

People should also be wary of the disclaimer that Linsoul has about the 9038D

https://www.linsoul.com/products/e1da-9038d

So the Sonata HD Pro might be the better choice with some devices.

Sonata HD Pro is neutral yeah, I bought 2 of them too. 9038D is more analytical though, with better technicalities. But it costs double the HD Pro, but is not 2x better, so diminishing returns kick in hard.

My only beef with the HD Pro is that it can't really power very demanding stuff. But there is a BHD firmware to unlock the power, if one is adventerous enough.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #138 of 138
@baskingshark

And for anyone else...

I've spent more time listening to the Sonata HD Pro with the BHD Firmware and comparing it to the Astell & Kern PEE51 USB Dac. There are some differences, most especially in the mids and the treble. The mids and treble are slightly more etched, more distinct sounding with the PEE51 whereas the Sonata HD seems slightly dull in direct comparison. But in terms of soundstage/width, separation, even bass texture, they're very close. With the gear I have, I think the PEE51 is maybe about 10% better than the Sonata HD Pro with the BHD Firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back