Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/AMP-> Amazing sound, small size, affordable price!
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #127 of 138

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-222211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-222211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #130 of 138
After a year, I finally got around to upgrading the firmware (Sonata BHD for permanent high gain mode) and installing the driver software for ASIO playback. I thought my A&K PEE51 was head and shoulders above the Sonata HD Pro but how very wrong I was…

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #131 of 138
After a year, I finally got around to upgrading the firmware (Sonata BHD for permanent high gain mode) and installing the driver software for ASIO playback. I thought my A&K PEE51 was head and shoulders above the Sonata HD Pro but how very wrong I was…

Wowzer!

Would like to hear more about a comparison between the PEE51 versus Sonata HD Pro BHD firmware! Thanks in advance!!

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #132 of 138
I'm quite happy that I saw and read this thread before updating to the newer firmware; while the permanent high gain mode may be beneficial for those who are driving transducers that are at the same time low impedance but insensitive, I'm mainly using sensitive to near extremely sensitive IEMs with my Pro HD, so I don't mind having a (to me) better low volume listening range and superior hiss performance. Speaking of which, the Pro HD is simply fantastic in this regard, which was by the way also the reason why I even bought it (whoever wants to can also refer to my review (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ck-moustache-previously-active-as-hifichris-–-audio-review-and-measurement-index-thread.956208/page-4#post-16640958) where I specifically tested the hiss performance with my Campfire Audio Andromeda and Ostry KC06A (two pairs of the most hiss-pickup-prone IEMs on the market) and compared it to my Apple USB-C DAC and RME ADI-2 DAC, two of the best devices when it comes to coming as close as possible to being perfectly hiss-free).

Even though (except for when I want that hiss-free quietness with extremely sensitive IEMs) I'm still using the FiiO Q5 with AM1 module most of the time (just because of the convenience of the quicker and finer digitally controlled analogue volume adjustment wheel), purely in the sound department, especially with very sensitive IEMs, the Pro HD is just excellent. Does anyone know another device (except for the ADI-2 DAC that I already have) that's at least as hiss-free as the Pro HD with extremely sensitive IEMs and has got an output impedance as close to 0 Ohms as possible? Perhaps the Lotoo S1?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #133 of 138
I'm quite happy that I saw and read this thread before updating to the newer firmware; while the permanent high gain mode may be beneficial for those who are driving transducers that are at the same time low impedance but insensitive, I'm mainly using sensitive to near extremely sensitive IEMs with my Pro HD, so I don't mind having a (to me) better low volume listening range and superior hiss performance. Speaking of which, the Pro HD is simply fantastic in this regard, which was by the way also the reason why I even bought it (whoever wants to can also refer to my review (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ck-moustache-previously-active-as-hifichris-–-audio-review-and-measurement-index-thread.956208/page-4#post-16640958) where I specifically tested the hiss performance with my Campfire Audio Andromeda and Ostry KC06A (two pairs of the most hiss-pickup-prone IEMs on the market) and compared it to my Apple USB-C DAC and RME ADI-2 DAC, two of the best devices when it comes to coming as close as possible to being perfectly hiss-free).

Even though (except for when I want that hiss-free quietness with extremely sensitive IEMs) I'm still using the FiiO Q5 with AM1 module most of the time (just because of the convenience of the quicker and finer digitally controlled analogue volume adjustment wheel), purely in the sound department, especially with very sensitive IEMs, the Pro HD is just excellent. Does anyone know another device (except for the ADI-2 DAC that I already have) that's at least as hiss-free as the Pro HD with extremely sensitive IEMs and has got an output impedance as close to 0 Ohms as possible? Perhaps the Lotoo S1?

The E1DA 9038D is very hiss free and has better technical performance than the Sonata HD Pro (in soundstage, microdetails, imaging, instrument separation). Very neutral too, so no added colouration. It has an advertised 0.07 ohm output impedance, so it is a great pairing with low impedance multi driver type IEMs.

The E1DA 9038D has some firmware mods to unlock volume caps, add tube colourations etc. It can also power more hungry gear than the Sonata HD Pro, so it is an all round upgrade from the Sonata HD Pro. Only thing is the 9038D sucks power from phones quite substantially, so best to bring a power bank along.

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #134 of 138
The E1DA 9038D is very hiss free and has better technical performance than the Sonata HD Pro (in soundstage, microdetails, imaging, instrument separation). Very neutral too, so no added colouration. It has an advertised 0.07 ohm output impedance, so it is a great pairing with low impedance multi driver type IEMs.

The E1DA 9038D has some firmware mods to unlock volume caps, add tube colourations etc. It can also power more hungry gear than the Sonata HD Pro, so it is an all round upgrade from the Sonata HD Pro. Only thing is the 9038D sucks power from phones quite substantially, so best to bring a power bank along.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't care about battery life since I don't own any modern day smartphone and am solely using these devices with my desktop PC (and sometimes with my Acer Chromebook).
Perhaps I should've added that I'd definitely want some sort of volume control on the DAC (the more steps the better), since for a device without any integrated volume control, my Apple USB-C DAC serves my needs more than enough.

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #135 of 138
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't care about battery life since I don't own any modern day smartphone and am solely using these devices with my desktop PC (and sometimes with my Acer Chromebook).
Perhaps I should've added that I'd definitely want some sort of volume control on the DAC (the more steps the better), since for a device without any integrated volume control, my Apple USB-C DAC serves my needs more than enough.

The 9038D has no volume control unfortunately, so might have to look elsewhere.

You can ask the others in the dongle thread here, maybe they will have something that fits your criteria: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-c-to-3-5mm-adapters-dac-lets-find-the-best.908839/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back