TempoTec Owners Thread
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #136 of 173
@lovethatmusic Also consider Tanchjim Space as an excellent dual 43131 dongle with both 4.4 and 3.5 mm outputs.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #138 of 173
Add to that list the iBasso DC04Pro, highly recommend by Headfonia, same dual 43131, though more expensive than the Space.

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #139 of 173
I haven't tried the Space, but I own the DC04Pro and I much prefer the Dawn. That doesn't mean everyone will, but I'm just putting it out there since I have compared the two side by side.

Edit: Also, for being a pretty powerful dongle, the Dawn is pretty light on the battery compared to most similarly powerful, dual DAC dongles I have tried.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #140 of 173
No problem. I'm glad I could help. BTW, Moondrop also makes a 3.5mm version of the Dawn that still uses the dual CS43131 configuration so if you don't want to convert all your cables over to 4.4mm balanced stuff that might be a good way to go. I'm not sure how its specs differ, if at all, from the 4.4mm as I haven't tried it, but people seem to think it sounds essentially identical from what I've read.
Thanks for your suggestion for getting the 3.5 version of the Dawn. I would love to go with the 3.5 just to avoid having to upgrade my cables.

That said, I’m seeing the Dawn as a potential endgame portable DAC, so I’d like to feel pretty confident that the 3.5 sounds as good as the 4.4, but I haven’t been able to find any reviews directly comparing the two models. Nearly every review that I have found is written about the 4.4 version, so I’m tempted to just get the 4.4 for peace of mind, but, again, I’d rather not mess with the cables and save a few dollars if possible.

I’m happy with my Fidelio X3’s and Etymotic ER3SE’s ((32 ohms and 23 ohms, both pretty efficient), with no plans to upgrade anytime soon, except maybe some Etymotic ER4SR’s (45 ohms), so I think the 3.5’s would provide enough power for any of those.

Can you tell me where you read that the two models sound more or less identical? I’m open to suggestion. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #141 of 173
Thanks for your suggestion for getting the 3.5 version of the Dawn. I would love to go with the 3.5 just to avoid having to upgrade my cables. That said, I’m seeing the Dawn as a potential endgame portable DAC, so I’d like to feel pretty confident that the 3.5 sounds as good as the 4.4, but I haven’t been able to find any reviews directly comparing the two models. Can you tell me where you read that they are more or less identical?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Injust remember reading that shortly after the 3.5mm version came out. See, when the 4.4mm version was the only one available the biggest criticism of it was that folks who don't use balanced cables couldn't use the Dawn.

Predictably, Moondrop's answer was to release a 3.5mm version that still utilized the dual chip design. When that was announced, but before it came out the big question was whether they would actually manage to makenit sound the same or would it lose stage, dynamics, and other technical abilities in the move from balanced to single ended. So when people finally started getting it I just remember seeing people mention in posts that it sounded very much the same and was a viable alternative for folks that wanted the Dawn sound/performance in a single ended configuration.

When I get a chance I'll do some looking around in the threads I was frequenting at the time and see what I can find. I'll let you know if anything relevant turns up.

Edit: A quick Google search turned up this quote from the link below.

https://blog.ear-phone-review.com/entry/news/Moondrop_Dawn_1

"The only difference you will notice with the brand new DAWN 3.5mm will be the headphone output port that is now a single-ended 3.5mm instead of the 4.4mm of the OG Dawn DAC/AMP. It is going to be available for 64.99$, 5$ less than its balanced variant."

Edit 2: Apos audio says this in their review:

https://apos.audio/blogs/news/buy-the-moondrop-dawn-3-5mm-on-apos-audio

"As a single-ended device, the 3.5mm version lags slightly behind the 4.4mm version, but the difference is super slight. For example, the 3.5mm version boasts an SNR of 127dB, while the 4.4mm version boasts 132dB, which is honestly too minor to notice."

Edit 3: Head-fier @littlenezt posted a 4.4mm Dawn review with a comparison to the 3.5mm that says this:

"Moondrop Dawn 3.5 : Dawn 3.5 is the more musical and a bit warm if compared to the 4.4 version, the Dawn 4.4 has better dynamics and wider staging compared to the single ended brother."

So it seems like the more I find the more it looks like the differences are small, but there according to some folks. Or the differences exist in the numbers only and are inaudible according to others.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #142 of 173
Honestly, I'm not sure. Injust remember reading that shortly after the 3.5mm version came out. See, when the 4.4mm version was the only one available the biggest criticism of it was that folks who don't use balanced cables couldn't use the Dawn.

Predictably, Moondrop's answer was to release a 3.5mm version that still utilized the dual chip design. When that was announced, but before it came out the big question was whether they would actually manage to makenit sound the same or would it lose stage, dynamics, and other technical abilities in the move from balanced to single ended. So when people finally started getting it I just remember seeing people mention in posts that it sounded very much the same and was a viable alternative for folks that wanted the Dawn sound/performance in a single ended configuration.

When I get a chance I'll do some looking around in the threads I was frequenting at the time and see what I can find. I'll let you know if anything relevant turns up.

Edit: A quick Google search turned up this quote from the link below.

https://blog.ear-phone-review.com/entry/news/Moondrop_Dawn_1

"The only difference you will notice with the brand new DAWN 3.5mm will be the headphone output port that is now a single-ended 3.5mm instead of the 4.4mm of the OG Dawn DAC/AMP. It is going to be available for 64.99$, 5$ less than its balanced variant."
So kind of you. That’s clarifying - there are very subtle differences. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #143 of 173
So kind of you. Thanks! How can this be? Pardon my ignorance, like I’ve said, I’m still a newbie. I was under the impression that 4.4 / balanced is always better. Not necessarily true?

No, not necessarily true. Mostly it just depends on how the device was designed. A well designed and implemented single ended circuit can sound just as good as a balanced circuit and better than a poorly designed balanced circuit. Most devices were designed to run balanced or single ended and if they have an output for the other it's generally just for convinience's sake.

In this case the numbers show that there is lower distortion and increased channel separation on the 4.4mm, but the distortion on the 3.5mm is already outside the audible range and most would say the channel separation difference is also likely beyond audibility. That said, number don't tell the whole story and the only way to know for sure is for you to hear it. All the numbers, advice, and reviews in the world can't replace your ears. However, my bet would be that you'd be happy with either version so if you'd prefer to save a little money and not switch to balanced I think you'd be safe to get the 3.5mm version in this case. However, if you think you may eventually need the extra power available in the 4.4mm version or that you might be looking to upgrade to higher end gear at some point it might be a decent idea to start moving to balanced now.

Only you can decide abd whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your new dongle. Happy hunting and happy listening, my friend! 😎

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #144 of 173
So kind of you. Thanks! How can this be? Pardon my ignorance, like I’ve said, I’m still a newbie. I was under the impression that 4.4 / balanced is always better. Not necessarily true?
No, not necessarily true. Mostly it just depends on how the device was designed. A well designed and implemented single ended circuit can sound just as good as a balanced circuit and better than a poorly designed bakanced circuit. Most devices were designed to run balanced or single ended and if they have an output for the other it's generally just for convinience's sake.

In this case the numbers show that there is lower distortion and increased channel separation on the 4.4mm, but the distortion on the 3.5mm is already outside the audible range and most would say the channel separation difference is also likely beyond audibility. That said, number don't tell the whole story and the only way to know for sure is for you to hear it. All the numbers, advice, and reviews in the world can't replace your ears. However, my bet would be that you'd be happy with either version so if you'd prefer to save a little money and not switch to balanced I think you'd be safe to get the 3.5mm version in this case. However, if you think you may eventually need the extra power available in the 4.4mm version or that you might be looking to upgrade to higher end gear at some point it might be a decent idea to start moving to balanced now.

Only you can decide abd whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your new dongle. Hapoy hunting and happy listening, my friend! 😎
Great perspective and great advice again. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #145 of 173
Great advice again. Thank you again!

You're welcome. Always happy to help when I can! At least then my boredom induced internet trawling benefits someone lol! 😂

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #146 of 173
TempoTec March III M3 can already be ordered and (after applying coupons) costs around 130$.
It features AK4493SEQ, which is nice. The market nowadays is being flooded with ES9038s..

What's your take on this? Does it seem to be a wise investment?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005324896514.html

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #147 of 173
TempoTec March III M3 can already be ordered and (after applying coupons) costs around 130$.
It features AK4493SEQ, which is nice. The market nowadays is being flooded with ES9038s..

What's your take on this? Does it seem to be a wise investment?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005324896514.html

If you're looking for a small, usb powered all-in-one with enough power for IEMs and easy to maybe moderate to drive over ears with lots of connectivity options for cheap, why not? Tempotec has a decent history of turning out very good performance for very modest prices. It has a good DAC chip and good op amps so if I was looking for something like this I wouldn't have any reservations about taking a chance and scooping one up.

May 4, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #150 of 173
Installed the latest V6 firmware V1.10
Change log:
1️⃣Add 192kHz support for Amazon music app
2️⃣add "on/off" switch for Play Store, HiByCast and CoolApk.
Provide a choice for you to run or quit the APP as need.
Save and reserve runtime memory for music process.
3️⃣Update HiByMusic App to 2.06_V6057
4️⃣Fix L&R channels occasionally swapped problem while weaken from standby status.
34AC4109-ED43-4D4A-A3EE-4FFDB6F9327D.jpeg

BUT status bar always says 192kHz regardless if you’re playing 44.1kHz/96kHz 😒
29C19FB9-C041-436D-8FC3-FD4A4FF8662C.jpeg
25586FFE-AD52-4426-B564-E40E0199D7CE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back