Tell us about your home town
Dec 15, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEp
Well my home town is London Ontario. There is no good shopping, no beaches, and nothing that really makes a city exciting. All we have is a small poluted river that flows through the city
eek.gif

I really like London ON. I have lived in bigger cities, but have always wanted to move back.

The river isn't for swimming but the city is really close to Port Stanely and Grand Bend which have great beaches.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 50
I was born in Michigan but grew up in the Seattle WA. area and have lived here for most of my life, primarily east of Lake Washington (also known as the Eastside). Nothing remarkable really, it's a pretty typical American suburban setting. Lots of malls, parking lots, high schools, etc.

The Seattle-area weather has been remarked on, but it doesn't rain around here nearly as much as is cracked up. Rather, it's simply gray and overcast most of the year, with mild temps. Don't move here.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEp
Well my home town is London Ontario. There is no good shopping, no beaches, and nothing that really makes a city exciting. All we have is a small poluted river that flows through the city
eek.gif

Wow, good attitude, thanks for insulting my home town...

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Wow, good attitude, thanks for insulting my home town...

Do homeless people have a home town?
confused.gif
I guess so, but just not a home, right?
tongue.gif

Hey, I like London, ON too! I went there for a wedding in January about 4 or 5 years ago and had an absolute blast. The bride was the coxswain for the Canadian Olympic rowing team for something like 5 or 6 consecutive Olympics, so all of her best friends are rowers or former rowers. I'm told that there were more gold, silver and bonze medals represented in that room than in the rest of Canada combined! And every last one of them beat me in my arm wrestling challenge. Nah, I'm just kidding about that part.

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #20 of 50
I come from Tsukuba, Japan, 7 years, the longest I've spent in one place.
http://www.city.tsukuba.ibaraki.jp/h...ide/intro.html
It's totally kickass. I had a fiber line laid to the apartment (funded by the generous japanese gov't of course) for "testing" purposes. Man that rocked. Totally weird though, since they built a gigantic research city in the middle of farmland... strange to see 13th generation farmers next to the gigantic NASDA facility..

Now I live in woodside though.. If you live in the bay area, I can see you from the high powered telescope on the 2nd floor =) ..

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The bride was the coxswain for the Canadian Olympic rowing team for something like 5 or 6 consecutive Olympics, so all of her best friends are rowers or former rowers. I'm told that there were more gold, silver and bonze medals represented in that room than in the rest of Canada combined! And every last one of them beat me in my arm wrestling challenge. Nah, I'm just kidding about that part.

lol...yeah a lot of rowers train here in a part of that "dirty river"
rolleyes.gif

We (Canada) do win a lot of medals in rowing, and it's because they train like machines. I went camping once with a bunch of friends and was woken up at 5am to the sound of a man standing at the head of a boat yelling at the rowers.

Are you sure you're joking about the arm wrestling thing? it'd be okay to admit losing to a woman...
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 50
My hometown is Dublin, NC. Known for it's peanut festival and the new Lu Mil vinyard. Ron Taylor, my cousin, owns Lu Mil & Taylor manufacturing. His manufacturing company built a lot of trailors/tobacco barns/curing sheds until the government steped in and reduced the production of tobacco. Now he has concentrated his work on Lu Mil, and has bought out a lot of fertile land for the vinyard. http://www.ncagr.com/NCproducts/ShowSite.asp?ID=2556 http://www.taylormfg.com/

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Are you sure you're joking about the arm wrestling thing? it'd be okay to admit losing to a woman...
biggrin.gif

No, I was smart enough not to challenge any of them. Most of these ladies were very feminine both in terms of their faces and bodies, and a couple of them were absolutely stunning. But there was one who was pretty rough. I'm was careful not to challenge here in any way! Not that she seemed to have much interest in men, but you never know until you try. I wasn't up for it myself.

Dec 15, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Sorry, I didn't have time to get on a helicopter to get some pics of where I live.

Anaheim, California:

Anaheim-1.jpg

This is where the noobs play, but I guess they aren't so bad anymore.

anaheim2.jpg

Most expensive place on earth.

nammoutside.JPG

They talk about stuff here.

sample.jpg

Pond.

Would you mind running over to The Block and picking up a few things from Ron Jons for me
biggrin.gif

So Cal has got the best variety of entertainment too... I'm always sad to come back to Nor Cal after a visit

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 50
I moved to Vancouver a year and a half ago now, first came here two years ago on holiday. The most important thing no-one knows about Vancouver till they come here is that it's basically China East - the Japanese, Vietnamese and Filipino communities are big enough to be normal sized minorities in most cities I've visited, but the Chinese population is just huge, I'm sure if you can even call it a minority any more. It gives the place a great cosmopolitan feeling, makes it a hell of a lot easier to buy lots of good stuff, and I've just basically never detected any kind of racial tension in the city at all, so that's great. Generally it's a great place to live, though the people who were born here don't seem to appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Transit, amenities, parks are all fantastic; the weather's great about four months of the year, which ain't THAT much but beats the crap out of where I came from (Manchester); cost of living is very cheap. Not much to complain about.

Before that I lived my whole life in a couple of small towns outside of Manchester (U.K.). Weather's terrible, everything except marijuana is incredibly expensive, and the city's as ugly as hell. The saving grace is the culture; three great theatres, one world-class orchestra, and tens of great rock venues. But apart from that, it sucked.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #28 of 50
My hometown is Cincinnati, Ohio USA.

Cincinnati_oh_skyline.jpg

Hey look! It's the Hall of Just......er I mean Union Terminal.....
cincinnati.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati%2C_Ohio

Nicknamed the "Queen City", was originally named Losantiville and was later nicknamed "Porkopolis", and was one of the leading pork producers in the nation.

Things I miss the most about Cincinnati?

The regional food.
Skyline Chili, Graeter's Ice Cream, Montgomery Inn are my top three.

The (relatively) smaller size of the entire city and outlying suburbs. (I live in LA now, neverending sprawl)

Traffic.
As much as I hear family and friends complain about it in Cincy, but sorry, the worst traffic on the 75 pales in comparison to grid lock on the 405 and the 10.
And yeah, the drivers in Cincinnati are so freakin polite compared to LA.

Fall and Spring.
In LA there is only two kinds of weather. Sunny and Rainy. And it doesn't rain very much here.

Things I do NOT miss about Cincinnati?

The lack of variety.
I must say moving to Los Angeles was quite a culture shock. There are so few "white people" in Los Angeles when you compare to Cincinnati. Funny, I am not white, but I grew up in the Midwest, so yeah, I know what a corn field looks like. No, I didn't grow up on a farm, but I have driven a combiner and a tractor before.

Food get's very boring in Cincinnati very quickly. As much as I love the "Trinity" I mentioned above, I get pretty sick of it quickly. And it physically makes me sick when I eat too much of it.

And the #1 reason I don't like Cincinnati, or anywhere that is not closer to the coasts or equator?
bilde

Not having to drive in that s**t anymore is a big reason I'm still in California. Yeah, you haven't lived until you've slid all over the road on freezing rain, sleet, snow mixture.

Yeah, I could sell my dinky condo, move back to Cincy, buy a house, and live off the profits from my condo sale for a year or two. But then I would be stuck in Cincinnati.

-Ed

Dec 15, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 50
I hail from Salem, Oregon. I could take pics, but it's not really worth it, the city is a depressing place to live. There are its share of landmarks and attractions though, like Bush Park, the Capitol Building, Riverfront Park, and others. It'd be nice if the people in this city were a bit more hosipitable though, because IMHO it's a real dampener on an otherwise great place when there's crime, drugs, and cold people seemingly wherever I go. I definitely feel out of place where I live...
frown.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #30 of 50
I live in Calmore, which is basically just inside or out of The New Forest. To be honest theres not alot to do around here other than going to Southampton or the Pub
smily_headphones1.gif

However... 1 positive is that this is basically a 2 minute walk away....near enough
smily_headphones1.gif

pan1jul00_latchmore1.jpg

pan6jan01_millersford_copse.jpg

pan17dec00_ogdens1.jpg

See the deers? We get foxes in our garden all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back