Tell us about your home town
Apr 21, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #46 of 50
High school town is the usual choice for "Hometown" honors, right??

That would place me in Panama City, Florida, in the late 60's/early 70's - a beautiful Florida town (really Southern Alabama, except for a freak political geographical line arbitrarily drawn), with a sugar white beach sand that NEVER got hot that was over a hundred yards wide, from last vegetation to the water's edge...best underwater visibility in the world - over two hundred feet most of the time, sometimes over four hundred feet. With white sand bottom, the ice blue water is accentuated. Small town of about 25,000. Hunting and fishing was big there, as was any sort of fun on the water. I liked sailing and drove waterski boats for my friends. Snorkelling for scallops and spearfishing for dinner was great. Great seafood.

Nearest "big city" was Dothan Alabama, a little further to Tallahassee or Pensacola.

Then I went to college in New York, New York environs!!!! What a change!

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I was born in NYC, but I lived in Fairfield, CT for just about my entire childhood.

It's a place full of rich, artless people. Lots of gigantic houses, lots of beautiful green lawns, swimming pools, old-fashioned buildings housing modern shopping locations, etc. I believe the median income for a household in the town is around $90,000 - but you definitely need to earn more than 200,000 a year to live in Fairfield currently, as the average house in Fairfield is around 700,000 800,000 - and that salary is definitely a stretch!

According to a survey, Fairfield was the second-safest place to live in the entire United States. Fairfield has only had one murder during its entire existence, and it was a very recent murder of a jewelery store owner by a robber who lived in New Haven, CT, far away from Fairfield. In fact, Fairfield is so "perfect" in terms of crime protection that most teenagers who leave it for college hit a huge, rude awakening. Fairfield is incredibly sheltered and corporate - everybody lives on 5 acre property in the normal 5-person family, never get into any trouble, and never face any crime of any kind. The town also has one of the best school systems in the country, however, so I suppose you get what you pay for.

Some images I found:

town_center.jpg

springtime.jpg

fairfield.jpg
- The best hotdogs in the world!!
biggrin.gif
I swear, I've not had a better one in all of my searching in NYC!

I live in a town similar to this, except in MA

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #49 of 50
Nibley, Utah. Look it up on a map, I dare you. Some maps don't even have it. It's a few thousand. My parents both taught at Utah State University. My dad taught animal science and my mom taught voice. When I was growing up, there were fields for miles behind my house that we would play baseball in, ride horses, ride 3 wheelers, hunt pheasants and whatever else we could find to shoot, tube down the canal. Now there are a lot of new housing developments and it's starting to lose it's quaint small town feel, though there are still hardly any shopping areas, just bob's convenience store. Every now and then I really miss it, though I don't think I would end up there again, maybe when I'm really old. The parents still live in the same house I was raised in though, and my old horse is still kickin, so I do get to go home and enjoy the memories.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Slade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back