Tell us about your home town
Dec 14, 2005 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
The good, the bad, the ugly and anything else you consider worthy of mention.

Seems like a good forum to learn a little bit about the world.

Mine is Perth, in Western Australia:

kings-park-city.jpg

Beautiful beaches within a twenty minute drive of most people:

CottesloeBeach.jpg

A wonderful mediterranean climate.

On the whole, the quality of life is pretty good, especially if your are into outdoors pursuits. Perth is the service city for a huge mining industry. The state of Western Australia is so enormous, and blessed with abundant mineral resources. We literally have entire mountain ranges made out of iron ore.

Thus our infrastucture is pretty good, and most people enjoy a good life.

It's downside is it's isolation. Indonesia is actually closer to us than Sydney. Travelling anywhere becomes a major inconvenience.

So what's your home town like?

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 50
hmm lets see i will go with where i am living now at school

sault ste. marie MI

located in the upper penninsula of michigan
right on the border of onterio

home of the soo locks
im57wk.gif

also home of Lake Superior State University
im5ag8.jpg

yeah the whole town is about 3 miles across

MY other home town Shepherd Mi
lets see no stop lights (have one blinking light)
its less than a mile, (i live 8 miles out of town)
tractors down the middle of town every day
it pretty much sucks bum

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 50
Don't got no fancy pics.
tongue.gif

I live in lynn, MA aka s**tville (that's what I call it). Fourth most violent city in the state according to some study amajigga, although there a few others I would've ranked above it. Lots of sexual predators, gangsters, drug dealers, and all out psychos. The streets are ******** up and people can't drive for s**t. In the winter it's always morbid. Only good part about this place is the fine women. Too bad most of em already have kids before they hit 18. Plus some of em can fool ya, I met many gals who're like 14-15 but can pass for much older. (Although so can I, and I'm a dude)

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 50
set18.jpg

My home is a small fariming comunity. The town that is close by is Mos Eisley and you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.

You may also recognize my home from movies like "Dude Where's My Speeder?".
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 50
I live in Spring Lake, MI.

springlakearialphotoSMALL.jpg

edit: My house is just off the screen to the right (not in the water)

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.springlakevillage.org/
Originally founded as the Village of Mill Point in 1849, the members of the community adopted its first Village Charter and became the Village of Spring Lake in 1869. Although the community’s original ties to the lumber industry have long passed, the Village serves as a great place to live and continues to play a role in the northwest Ottawa County’s tourism industry. The community began as a wonderful place to live, work and play and that tradition continues today. Our community, which lies upriver from Lake Michigan, spans 1.1 sq. miles, and has a population of 2,514.

My wife and I live just north of Grand Haven, which is a blast in the summer. The main problems with living this close to Lake Michigan is the distance from Grand Rapids, where all of our friends live, and the fact that the ground is basically sand which doesn't hold water very well; this leads to crappy yards.

Anyways, it is a lovely area that I can imagine living in for the rest of our lives.

-John

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 50
Born in Chicago but grew up in Naperville, IL. As a little kid, it was mostly a middle-class farm suburb. But since the start of high school it's turned into Yuppietopia and jockeys back and forth with Aurora (they do the censuses on alternating years) for second largest city in Illinois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naperville

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Born in Chicago but grew up in Naperville, IL. As a little kid, it was mostly a middle-class farm suburb. But since the start of high school it's turned into Yuppietopia and jockeys back and forth with Aurora (they do the censuses on alternating years) for second largest city in Illinois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naperville

I'm also from Naperville. I don't live there anymore but my parents still do. It's Pleasantville - the kind of place that really has no right to still exist in this day and age. The whole city is strongly upper-middle class, there is remarkably little violent crime for its size, and various public services (libraries, schools) have been rated the best around. The city itself has been rated the best place in America to raise children a couple times.

There's nothing to dislike about the place other than the at-times bizarre attitudes of the people and even the city itself towards life, the city, and The Way Things Should Be. A perfect example is that some will park illegally in the downtown area (which has limited parking with high demand) day after day, considering the repeated tickets merely an acceptable parking fee, much like stuffing a few quarters into a meter.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 50
My home town is Carey, Idaho. It has a pop. of 513 people, its mostly ranch/farming community and you can see a tractor on main street everyday durring the summers. I like it, nice and quiet, a good place to listen to grados.
biggrin.gif

When my relatives from Chicago came here they were like wow you can see the stars here at night. (due to pollution I guess)
confused.gif
So you guys in the citys, can you see the stars at night?
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 50
My hometown, Marblehead, MA, is two towns north of Kirosia's Lynn. It really is much nicer though Kirosia doesn't do justice to his town. Lynn has some really nice beach-side communities. And the Lynnway which was the site of two road-rage-related shootings this summer, I believe.

Anyway, back to my town... it's the home of the US Navy and was the home of the famed General Glover. Our Fort Sewall saved Old Ironsides back in 1812. Also, Marblehead was apparently the 6th largest city in the colonies back in the early 17th century. And Harvard was originally to be built on Marblehead Neck (an island off our coast connected to the mainland by a causeway). I don't know why that never happened.

About 20,000 people live there now and the population barely changes. We've got architectural styles that range the gamut from early Colonial styles through Georgian, Victorian, and what have you. We apparently host one of the most famous regattas in America. We have one popular bar, Maddies, which is where everyone my age goes on weekends for ridiculously strong mixed drinks. It closes at around 12 like everything else in the Boston area. Other bars also love serving sea-themed mixed drinks like Dark N' Stormies, but I suppose that's available in other parts of the country as well.

Come and visit in the spring when it's nice and beautiful! The old town is great for just walking around and enjoying the architecture.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 50
Well my home town is London Ontario. There is no good shopping, no beaches, and nothing that really makes a city exciting. All we have is a small poluted river that flows through the city
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG
My hometown, Marblehead, MA, is two towns north of Kirosia's Lynn. It really is much nicer though Kirosia doesn't do justice to his town. Lynn has some really nice beach-side communities.

OT, but yeah some places are really nice, but I doubt many in the city could afford them. (there's quite a few homeless and most are low income IIRC) I've only ever lived in/near the not-so-good-or-pretty-evil-gangster-n-violence prone areas, so that's what I go by.
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 50
"Tell us about your home town"
Why, are you having trouble sleeping?

I seem to end up in boring little towns where nothing is ever going on.
For the past 10 Years we've been in Edwardsburg, MI.
We have recently gotten our second stop light! WhooHoo.

It's a very rural area (as anyone who showed up to my Head-Fi meet can testify), with hunting & fishing being the main activity around here. I don't do either one, but the lakes are nice to look at.

The town's claim to fame is a gigantic sporting goods store called
Lunkers.
Neat place to look around, decent restaurant, but way inflated prices.

Fortunately, when I am in need of civilization, South Bend IN is only about 20 min away, and Chicago is about 2 hrs.
TR

BTW saab,
My Great Aunt used to live in Spring Lake. I like it up there too, very nice town.
TR

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 50
Sorry, I didn't have time to get on a helicopter to get some pics of where I live.

Anaheim, California:

Anaheim-1.jpg

This is where the noobs play, but I guess they aren't so bad anymore.

anaheim2.jpg

Most expensive place on earth.

nammoutside.JPG

They talk about stuff here.

sample.jpg

Pond.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme
hmm lets see i will go with where i am living now at school

sault ste. marie MI

located in the upper penninsula of michigan
right on the border of onterio

home of the soo locks
im57wk.gif

also home of Lake Superior State University
im5ag8.jpg

yeah the whole town is about 3 miles across

MY other home town Shepherd Mi
lets see no stop lights (have one blinking light)
its less than a mile, (i live 8 miles out of town)
tractors down the middle of town every day
it pretty much sucks bum

My sister used to live in AuTrain MI -- the UP is one of my favorite places on earth!!! And when I was a kid I lived a short time in Shepard too!!!

I grew up mostly in Hope, Ark. & now I live in El Paso, TX. Both are about as far away from the north & snow as you can get!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back