Team Cheap Sennheiser!
Mar 25, 2002 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Team Cheap Sennheiser members:

Headroom has posted reviews on the ENTIRE HD-2#2 and HD-4#7 line! The guys at Headroom like the newest low-end Senns (HD-202, HD-212 PRO, HD-457 and HD-497), especially for the prices that Headroom itself is selling them for! (Too bad, they superimposed a review of the HD-212 Pros onto the listing for the HD-477's.)

Could it be that the HD-457 is a good alternative to the cheap Koss (S)Porta Pros?

Feel free to comment on this thread.

Randall

Mar 25, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 61
Oh, Head-Fiers, don't confuse the HD-2#2 and HD-4#7 series with the older HD-400, HD-470 and HD-490 Senns; those latter three Senns belong to Team POS Sennheiser.
tongue.gif

Randall
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 61
Eagle_Driver, I feel pleased that you have taken on the torch as the new head of organizing Team CHEAP Sennheiser. By the looks of it, I think the three headphones to definitely consider are the HD497, HD457, and the HD212. The HD202 may be an okay alternative to the Koss UR-20, but the HD212 seems clearly superior to the HD202 in every regard. If the 212's cord wasn't detachable, I'd buy one right away. But, my experience with the poor build quality of my 497's has left me to sware off of all Sennheiser products for now.

Mar 25, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 61
That gave me an idea. Let's all call Sennheiser up and nominate that motto to be plastered on every HD497 package. Do you think they would go for it?
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 61
I have a pair of HD 490 -II s ...how were they as headphones? (besides the cord)

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Oh, Head-Fiers, don't confuse the HD-2#2 and HD-4#7 series with the older HD-400, HD-470 and HD-490 Senns; those latter three Senns belong to Team POS Sennheiser.
tongue.gif

Randall
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 61
Just reviews, no graphs on any of them yet.
frown.gif
Their description of the 212 and it's bassiness makes me think that I've been wrong about it sharing drivers with the 497 unless the closed design tends to overemphasize bass. More likely is that it shares drivers with the 457 as that was also described as bass heavy and "thick" sounding, probably from the full pad earpieces.

(HBZ)

Mar 28, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 61
RMSzero, reviews of the HD 280 PRO and the two wireless Senns (RS-65 and RS-85) are now up at the Headroom site. Sadly, no response graphs yet for any of the NEW Senns.
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 61
Tightness or the plastic over the drivers pressing against your ear? The first is easy, just stretch them over something big and leave them overnight (maybe a couple of times). The second one I have a problem with too. I also wear glasses and I think it pushes my ear out so they press against the plastic even more. I tried padding them with an old set of stock headphone pads. Muffled the sound a bit and ended up pressing against my ear even more. Maybe if you don't have a problem with the extra pressure you can cut out the middle to get rid of the sound muffling.

(HBZ)

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 61
To those who were looking forward to my JVC HA-DX3/Sennheiser HD497 showdown review, I have to disappoint you. I found out yesterday that my JVC's aren't being sent out from the US Priority Mail, they are being sent from Japan Priority Mail. And I have already received the money for my HD497's, so I feel obligated to ship them off to chych. But, I will do a review comparing them with my new Sony MDR-W08L Vertical Headphones, which although lacking bass, do sound better than the HD497's. In other words, I don't think it would have been a fair contest anyways. It would have been like comparing the 497's with a pair of HD600's. That's the class of headphones that the JVC's are supposedly in. Although I haven't heard a HD600 in my life, I'll know if they are in that class if they sound so good that I haven't heard anything like them. It's like I have a built-in high-end sound detector in my head. I just KNOW when a headphone has high-end sound. BTW, I auditioned the HD280's a couple days ago, and they sound great. They sound kind of like refined HD497's, with a less aggressive sound. They have a little more bass, and a little wider soundstage. But, they are a lot more comfy. And the isolation is amazing. But the bass cuts out on even strong portables like my Sony D-141 Discman. These are definitely made for at least headphone jack on a home product. Or better yet, a portable amp. I think they are a good candidate for a step up for the 497. I have a feeling my JVC's are going to need a home deck or an amp even more than the HD280's. But, my high-end sound detector didn't quite go off when I was listening to these headphones. But I would recommend these over the 497's any day for home use. They reveal a slight grain in the sound of the 497's. You have to do a comparison to hear it. It is in the midrange. While the midrange of the HD280 was silky, the HD497's sounded like canvas. Not to mention the HD280's are actually made well. I can see them lasting through the 2 year warranty period, while with the 497's, I doubt it. And to think it is only $40 more. Just two more weeks of saving up, and you can have a better-sounding, better-made headphone that actually looks like a Sennheiser. And the pleather is wonderful. It imitates leather beautifully. It's thick, soft, and nothing like the fake pleather on the 497. I would have bought one if I had the money. But all my money is going towards the JVC's. So, I'll post my initial impressions on the JVC's when I get them, then a full review when they are broken-in. I have a feeling they will be a good alternative to the HD580/600. People already use it for such, it's just they haven't given much detail on it's sound quality. I'll go in depth.

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 61
Hey Violeta - You mentioned that a headphone amp would be preferable when using the hd280's. How do you think the hd497 itself would improve with a headphone amp?

Has anyone else tried the 497 with a headphone amp? How does its sound improve?

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 61
Ya know, I don't think it's a good sign when someone talks about how good his headphones are going to sound when he hasn't even heard them. Makes you wonder how objective the review will be...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 28, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 61
hey guys---

Mik---490 is a bit of a disaster. Get an amp for it if you're really fond of it or discard and get better phones. A relic from the Bad Old Sennheiser days...

Vince---the 497s sound better with an amp. Bass in particular is fuller and depper, and soundstage is a bit broader. I use mine on occasion with a CHA 47 amp from JMT. They sound similar with a high powered receiver jack, but that assumes the receiver jack is not "colored" due to crappy design by the mfgr. To reiterate, the 497 sounds fine with even low powered sources, and sees maybe a 15% improvement with more power, if I had to quantify.

Violeta---oh, the hurt!
biggrin.gif
To hear 497s called inferior to cheap Sony verticals is just too much to bear. (I hope you treat your ex-girlfriends better than your ex-headphones!!
biggrin.gif
) I've heard the W08s and I would say the 497s have much better bass and more neutral balance across the range. The 08s seemed to have a midrange boost that sounded unnatural. And they are made by Sony, the crack dealer of audio; buying the W08s just gives Sony more cash to build flashing neon Street Style junk so as to tempt the masses into Crap Listening...
evil_smiley.gif

I agree with your favorable impressions on the 280s, but I haven't heard any bass clipping with my PCDP, a Sony (oh, the irony!), which is really underpowered. I ran some of the deepest bass techno/big beat stuff I had through em just to check and they sounded just fine.

But be kind to the 497s. Remember the joy they gave you, and their unique one of a kind plastic space helmet look. And remember they are readily available at chain stores and may guide many others into the world of decent headphones. And finally if this whole JVC thing doesn't work out, remember there will be a cheap Sennheiser waiting for you with open pads...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back