Team Cheap Sennheiser!
Mar 28, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 61
Violeta, while I concur with your assessment about the build "quality" of the Senn 497, comparing them to the Sony's is a little extreme. I have a set of MDR-24 verticals I use at the gym (paid a whole $4 for them) and while I am quite happy with them for the application, I would never consider them to be a replacement for the 497s. Just a while ago, you were defending the 497s vociferously, then you wanted to buy the Philips, then the JVCs. I'm having a hard time believing anything you type anymore - the winds shift just a little too much in your neighborhood.

Mar 29, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #18 of 61
Nah, Atomicarnage, the HD 280 PRO isn't exactly CHEAP; it's just that it sells for much less than its high MSRP ($199! -
eek.gif
) would indicate.

Mar 29, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #19 of 61
Hey everybody,

I've been reading this forum for almost two years now, looking for advice and information for making portable audio purchases, but just recently got the urge to post. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit of a flame.

Violet(a), I've got to agree with Srapps55 and Joe Bloggs, I think your headphone preference changes more often than the weather. Did you just say that Sony MDR-W08L's sound better than the HD497's? My God, what are you thinking man? I know sound quality is subjective, but this is a bit of a reach. Weren't you one of the first people to own and rave about the 497's? I'm sorry but what little credibility you had left with me just vanished completely. Now you're going to write "detailed" reviews of headphones? I hope anyone hoping to find honest, unbiased information from you, takes it with a 500 lb. grain of salt.

Burger

Mar 29, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 61
Hey Burger! Glad to see you're finally on board.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess Violeta has inspired you, though in a non-traditional manner...
very_evil_smiley.gif
Stick around and have some fun; maybe you'll end up running out and getting some fine JVC headphones after Violeta stuns you with his amazing review!
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Burger
Hey everybody,

I've been reading this forum for almost two years now, looking for advice and information for making portable audio purchases, but just recently got the urge to post. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit of a flame.

Violet(a), I've got to agree with Srapps55 and Joe Bloggs, I think your headphone preference changes more often than the weather. Did you just say that Sony MDR-W08L's sound better than the HD497's? My God, what are you thinking man? I know sound quality is subjective, but this is a bit of a reach. Weren't you one of the first people to own and rave about the 497's? I'm sorry but what little credibility you had left with me just vanished completely. Now you're going to write "detailed" reviews of headphones? I hope anyone hoping to find honest, unbiased information from you, takes it with a 500 lb. grain of salt.

Burger

Well, Burger, it's true that Violeta changes his preferences a bit too much, but I wouldn't consider his comparing the W08L favourably to the 497 to be his major sin... actually Team Piece of **** Sony VITE has a huge presence here as of late... telling people that the W07/08 / A44L walks all over the HD497's and even Senn HD600's and AT W100's is the latest fad around here it seems
biggrin.gif

Examples...
http://head-fi.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=9586
http://head-fi.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=5644

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 29, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 61
My post was not a complaint about Violeta's changing winds of preference, but about how he already seems to have formed a conclusion about how good the JVC's are going to sound before he even hears them--makes one worry how he can write an unbiased review.

The shifting winds at Violeta's place actually makes me less worried about this--if the DX3 doesn't sound totally fabulous, you can bet that even if he writes a glowing review at first, at some point in the future he's going to revise it and say even his Coby earbuds beat the s**t out of it, or something like that.

tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 29, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

I've been reading this forum for almost two years now

/me looks at the start date for Head-Fi...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 61
teeheehee
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 61
I take back the comment about the Sony's beating the Sennheiser HD497's, what I meant was they had a smoother midrange, but the overall better headphone is the 497. I received the JVC's yesterday and they were returned yesterday also. They sounded like ****. While they were okay, they were nothing like they were supposed to be. The soundstage was somewhat wider than the 497, but not that much, and they sounded canned. The construction was good, but the velvet seemed like it belonged on a $40 pair of headphones. The treble was bright, but not detailed, and the midrange was hollow and not that engaging. The bass was deep but not that loud. They sounded more like a $60 pair of headphones than a $145 pair of headphones. I can't believe that they sell for $200 usually. So, in other words, the 497's stomped all over them. Except that the JVC's had a smoother midrange. So, I made another deal with my parents and they agreed to get me some HD280's and an Airhead for my high school graduation. So, another 2 months to go. Oh, well. I guess I have to make do with my HD433's for now. And the shifting winds at my place just mean that I am moving up in sound quality. Sometimes I mess up in my wording and I exaggerate when I don't mean to, which was the case with the 497's. I hadn't heard good sound before and I was putting too much into it. But now that I have, I now know that the 497 isn't as spectacular as I thought it was. It's a great headphone for the price, but it could be much more refined. For me, the perfect example of a refined 497 is the Sennheiser HD280. It isn't as Grado-like, but it does make my internal high-end sound indicator blink a little. It is just much more smooth and refined and silky compared to the 497. And when you can get it for less than $90 including ground shipping from Buy.com, it is a no-brainer upgrade.

Mar 29, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
I take back the comment about the Sony's beating the Sennheiser HD497's, what I meant was they had a smoother midrange, but the overall better headphone is the 497. I received the JVC's yesterday and they were returned yesterday also. They sounded like ****. While they were okay, they were nothing like they were supposed to be. The soundstage was somewhat wider than the 497, but not that much, and they sounded canned. The construction was good, but the velvet seemed like it belonged on a $40 pair of headphones. The treble was bright, but not detailed, and the midrange was hollow and not that engaging. The bass was deep but not that loud. They sounded more like a $60 pair of headphones than a $145 pair of headphones. I can't believe that they sell for $200 usually. So, in other words, the 497's stomped all over them. Except that the JVC's had a smoother midrange. So, I made another deal with my parents and they agreed to get me some HD280's and an Airhead for my high school graduation. So, another 2 months to go. Oh, well. I guess I have to make do with my HD433's for now. And the shifting winds at my place just mean that I am moving up in sound quality. Sometimes I mess up in my wording and I exaggerate when I don't mean to, which was the case with the 497's. I hadn't heard good sound before and I was putting too much into it. But now that I have, I now know that the 497 isn't as spectacular as I thought it was. It's a great headphone for the price, but it could be much more refined. For me, the perfect example of a refined 497 is the Sennheiser HD280. It isn't as Grado-like, but it does make my internal high-end sound indicator blink a little. It is just much more smooth and refined and silky compared to the 497. And when you can get it for less than $90 including ground shipping from Buy.com, it is a no-brainer upgrade.

You did not give the JVCs a chance to burn in for a bit before seriously auditioning them? Perhaps it would have been wiser to keep them for a few days before passing final judgment on them. Just a thought. Then again, there is always the HP890
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 9:27 AM Post #28 of 61
I want to defend myself before there are anymore attacks against me for not giving the JVC's a proper break-in period. I decided not to give them a break in because of the fact that break-in doesn't get rid of the "canned" sensation of closed headphones. Either it isn't there in the beginning or it will be there forever. And these were pretty canned. And they sounded so lifeless and just plain not of the sonic character that I wanted that I knew that it would take an act of God to make them sound like what I expected them to sound like. I was expecting something better than a Sennheiser HD590. They were supposedly rated higher. That person must have been on LSD when he wrote the review, there is no way these things sound like $150-$200 headphones! And I don't appreciate people attacking me just because I happened to change my mind about a headphone. If it seems like the winds are changing swiftly over here, it's because I'm in a transition period of headphones and I am in a disadvantage because I have no way to listen to most of the headphones. The best headphone in my area is the Grado SR-325. There are no Sennheisers higher than the HD570, no Beyerdynamics, no Etys, no Stax, nothing. I'm in Headphone Hell. So all I have to go on is what I read. And if what I read doesn't turn out to be true, I'm PISSED OFF MAJORLY. So, for that reason I try my best to always give my honest opinion using my best assets, my own ears. My ears are picky. What other people think are great headphones, sometimes I think are crap. A headphone that would describe my tastes well is the HD590. Not accurate, but more musical and exciting. If you want accurate and laid back, you don't want my opinion. The 497 also fits my tastes, although it needs a little more refinement. The HD280 would be a fairly accurate headphone that sounds good to me. Some times my tastes go with the crowd, but other times they do not. For example: I think the Grado SR-80 is an overpriced piece of ****. While the bass is good, the lower midrange is muddy and the treble has this cloud that smears the detail and just adds instead of a sensation of "air" it gives a sensation of a heavy "fog". It's a weird sound. Plus the soundstage is almost nonexistant. I think they should take the place of the SR-40's. I'm not that much of a fan of the SR-60 either, but at least it doesn't have that L.A. smog going on. If you think I am harsh on my ex-headphones, I am. It's the way I hear. When I hear a better headphone, I can't stand to even listen to the lesser sounding one, so my opinion of it goes down a lot. I am attempting to be fair with the 497, because it is a great headphone, but I am so displeased with it's poor build. I just can't recommend it anymore. When your headphones are so shoddily built that you can't even use the detachable cord feature that is so touted by Sennheiser and you paid a fair amount of money for them, it's just unacceptable. They would have to sound like the HD600 for me to recommend them the way they are built. I can't stand behind a product that is made to break. And that is what Sennheiser did. They realized that they could hook you in with their good sound, and keep you buying them up to replace them when they break. I'll recommend the HD280, because it will last long after the 2 year warranty period, but the HD497 barely has a chance for 6 months. I included my receipt in the box that I sent to chych with the 497's he bought from me because I was so convinced that they would fail before the 2 year period was up. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, but please do not be afraid to trust my opinion. I've not lost it, I'm actually learning from my mistakes in the past. And if somebody has a problem with me personally, please PM me so I can have a chance to defend myself before you embarrass me in front of the whole Head-Fi community.

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Sorry MacDEF and Mr. Bloggs, confused Head-Fi with Headwize. I've only been reading here about 8 mos. My mistake.

Burger, I was just teasing; I hope you didn't think I was being mean!
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

So, I made another deal with my parents and they agreed to get me some HD280's and an Airhead for my high school graduation. So, another 2 months to go. Oh, well. I guess I have to make do with my HD433's for now.

Why an airhead? Many who have compared it to a JMT say the airhead is a piece of crap. Why not live with your JVC and get the Porta-Corda? That way you'll have a quality amp worthy of a good set of HPs for future upgrades. With all of the money you've spent, we may have to kick you out of team cheap.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back