TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
Apr 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #211 of 385
Hope that not everybody has sold theis :D new drivers for windows 8 are out http://teac.jp/product/ud-h01/downloads/
even though I had only one crash on windows 8.1 with old drivers

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #214 of 385
Me too, but it never got to much praise and didn't get a huge fan base =/ not gimmicky enough probably :D
You think it punches above it's weight? It's my first and only DAC so can't compare too much stuff except for auditioning vs dacmagic

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #215 of 385
For the price, I don't think you can get anything better. Sure, Benchmark Dac 2 sounds better but it's 8 times the price. I think it sounds great with hi-fi systems and headphones such as Sennheiser Momentum, AKG Q 701 etc... If you have a 20.000 dollars high-end system then it may not be enough?.. I wouldn't know as I don't have such an expensive setup. Then again, TEAC is a well known, quality brand and because they can mass produce, their prices are always lower than small companies such as Schiit, Arcam etc. For instance everyone thinks Arcam's dacs are great but I prefer the UDH01 to them. They have that weird Arcam house sound that I don't like. Benchmark Dac 2 is very neutral but it's really expensive. And it's not better than Teac's UD-501, DSD capable DAC of Teac. Sometimes people pay lots of money for brand name. Meridian Prime for instance. Is it good? Yes. Is it worth that money? Hell no, it's not.

In short, the rest of your hi-fi setup matters too. But I find Teac to be an admirable performer and see no reason to buy anything else. It's great for general listening purposes. I also use it to watch films and everything sounds great.

By the way, sometimes I used to get a weird static noise when I wanted to start another song or wanted to stop and resume the song. I changed my laptop's hard drive to SSD (solid state drive) and installed Windows 7 64 bit from scratch and I don't get any static noise anymore. The dac works beautifully.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #216 of 385
Great to hear that, yeah it's even better for us lucky bunch who got it on sale at richersounds. I'm still on Goldring DR150 headphones, but thinking of buying German Maestro GMP 400 as there is one retailer here who sells them for 180 EUR, that's a good deal I think.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #217 of 385
So I'm getting a Schiit Asgard 2 soon to go with this (already have the TEAC), do you guys think I'll notice a huge improvement compared to the built in amplifier? Does anyone know if the built in amplifier still works while another one is connected? Meaning could I use them both with two pairs of headphones? Thanks for any answers.

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #218 of 385
If I were to upgrade from UDH01 one day, it would be this DAC. I listened to it yesterday and it's just amazing. Sadly though, it's very very expensive. It's a German brand, I don't know if it's available in the US (I live in Turkey).

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dac-8

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #219 of 385
So I'm getting a Schiit Asgard 2 soon to go with this (already have the TEAC), do you guys think I'll notice a huge improvement compared to the built in amplifier? Does anyone know if the built in amplifier still works while another one is connected? Meaning could I use them both with two pairs of headphones? Thanks for any answers.

Jeremy it depends on headphones if you'll see the difference, built in amp works when there's line out connected, but i don't know if it's a good practice. In my own experience Objective 2 amp sounds a tad better than TEAC's built in one, they're both quite neutral it's just that O2 has more power and confidence in bass.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #220 of 385

I noticed a big difference between the built-in headphone amp and a Schidt Mjolnir with HE-500 and modified Fostex T50RPs. The more power the headphones need the more difference a high power amp will make.

The built-in amp is a separate board inside so it will run happily while feeding another amp.

UD-H01DAC_AmpConnections.jpg

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #221 of 385
The headphones I use are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm (assuming this will see the biggest difference), Sennheiser HD 558 and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros (assuming the low gain mode will also improve performance on this). 

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #222 of 385
Anyone uses Teac HR Audio Player? It works flawlessly with the dac and to my ears, it sounds better than any other media player with Teac. It lacks some features but it sounds better than jetaudio so I prefer it.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #223 of 385

I noticed a big difference between the built-in headphone amp and a Schidt Mjolnir with HE-500 and modified Fostex T50RPs. The more power the headphones need the more difference a high power amp will make.

The built-in amp is a separate board inside so it will run happily while feeding another amp.

Mjolnir is much more expensive than the dac so it'd better sound better. :) I don't know about Asgard.

My favourite headphone amp is Sennheiser HDVD800 (I'm a Sennheiser fanboy, I admit). If I were to buy one, I'd buy that.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #224 of 385
  Anyone uses Teac HR Audio Player? It works flawlessly with the dac and to my ears, it sounds better than any other media player with Teac. It lacks some features but it sounds better than jetaudio so I prefer it.

Great find cheers Ive just hooked my UD-H01 up to my MAC again,it was on telly duty!and going to compare it again with my the mdac,I have been using Audirvana and now this gives me a great alternative and it was free,sounds great so far!!playing hires!!

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #225 of 385
Yeah I used HR player since the beginning when I found it on Japanese website, it's very basic but works flawlessly now (the early versions wouldn't play all the files) you can set it up to load files to RAM for playback. Sound wise yeah maybe it does sound better (at least you don't have to set up anything because it's a native player) but normally I use JRiver for convenience (which has many setting for direct output and there's a difference between them, still figuring out best one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back