TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
Jan 9, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #183 of 385
just curious , i use mine with usb , if i pause foobar or spotify and then come back to it i can sometimes get loud white noise . i have to turn the dac on and off again to go back to normal . 
is this normal?? 

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #184 of 385
Yeah I used to have that problem too, but I can't remember exactly how I got rid of it.
I think it had something to do with WASAPI, so I switched to ASIO, and the problem stopped (or was it the other way around). But then sometime later probably after an upgrade of Foobar2000  WASAPI/ASIO started working again and I haven't had that problem since.
I'm sorry to be so unclear. Theres a way around it, just make sure everything is upto date. WASAPI 3.0 is not supported by the UD-H01, also update your .Net Framework drivers...sometimes if you update your video card it changes your .net framework so get the updates from Microsoft (I'm assuming you are in Windows)

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #185 of 385
Earlier I was using this DAC's headphone amp with HD800s and achieving enjoyable if bass light sound.

Late last year I got a set of balanced headphone cables and so was able to use them with a nine year old Headroom Blockhead amp. Now I'm using the TEAC as a DAC only. The Blockhead had a reputation for bass heavy sound and that comes through so what I get now is the same detail, if not a bit more, but a heavier bass response, probably what most people think it should be to give that fullness to music. At the moment the mids are a bit recessed but perhaps that is to do with burning in of the new cable, or me getting used to it. Very nice.

Anyway I'm still impressed with this DAC although I will be trying more expensive ones to see what happens.

The only problem I've had with the drivers of this DAC is if I turn things on in the wrong sequence. The instructions say that I should turn on the PC first, then the DAC, then amp (and do the reverse when turning off). If I turn the DAC on first, then the PC, I sometimes got a rough sound, or 'Power Driver State Failure', Both were corrected by rebooting. This is with Windows 8.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #187 of 385
The company I received my UD-H01 from accidentally sent me the A-H01 originally. It seemed like a cheap mini receiver. The DAC should be higher quality than the other one you mentioned, but I don't think it's amplifier is powerful enough to drive serious speakers. Its variety of inputs is also limited. It is much smaller, but that looks like all that it has going for it. The one you mentioned seems like it would be better for speakers. If you are planning on using it with just headphones, then get the UD-H01 since it doesn't have speaker outputs but has balanced outputs instead. It does not have analog inputs like the other two products however.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #188 of 385
Continuing my report on my disastrous experience regarding UD-H01's Tenor chip (reported in http://www.head-fi.org/t/560940/teac-ud-h01-usb-dac/60#post_8615515)

I finally decided to get around and replace it, so eventually I got a replacement (mind you, I had to wait almost 2 months!). With new hope, I tried with the new unit, but... I almost threw it in the dustbin after having the same issues on the new unit, alas with latest Teac drivers + ASIO4all + foobar ASIO plugin (on Win7 64-bit). Therefore I have been using the Optical port for some time (just to avoid BSODs + have some sound out of my pc for the limited time home) but today I decided to put some time into it. USB async just sounds sooo much better than optical...

So I found out AudioGd has published a new major release of its Tenor drivers (check v2.0 driver under http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/TE8802/TE8802EN.htm), and I thought, what the h3ll, let's try this out, chip is same so all should work fine. I installed the new drivers and all seems to be working ! Dpclat even reporting green for 24/96 !! Wow wasn't expecting that!!

A few facts for anybody wanting to try out :
- After you install AudioGd drivers the DAC won't be recognised since Windows won't know why it should connect the Teac hardware with the AudioGd driver. Therefore you have to manually set the Windows to use AudioGd driver for the Teac. Piece of cake, really
- Foobar/ASIO was hissing a lot even in 16/44.1 so I increased samples in ASIO drivers to 1920, all seems to be fine thereafter
- Foobar output uses ASIO4All but AudioGd also installs its own ASIO! I haven't tried that yet (since all is OK so far...)

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #190 of 385
Very cool, thanks for sharing this, I'll give it a try when I get home.

Quote:
  Continuing my report on my disastrous experience regarding UD-H01's Tenor chip (reported in http://www.head-fi.org/t/560940/teac-ud-h01-usb-dac/60#post_8615515)

I finally decided to get around and replace it, so eventually I got a replacement (mind you, I had to wait almost 2 months!). With new hope, I tried with the new unit, but... I almost threw it in the dustbin after having the same issues on the new unit, alas with latest Teac drivers + ASIO4all + foobar ASIO plugin (on Win7 64-bit). Therefore I have been using the Optical port for some time (just to avoid BSODs + have some sound out of my pc for the limited time home) but today I decided to put some time into it. USB async just sounds sooo much better than optical...

So I found out AudioGd has published a new major release of its Tenor drivers (check v2.0 driver under http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/TE8802/TE8802EN.htm), and I thought, what the h3ll, let's try this out, chip is same so all should work fine. I installed the new drivers and all seems to be working ! Dpclat even reporting green for 24/96 !! Wow wasn't expecting that!!

A few facts for anybody wanting to try out :
- After you install AudioGd drivers the DAC won't be recognised since Windows won't know why it should connect the Teac hardware with the AudioGd driver. Therefore you have to manually set the Windows to use AudioGd driver for the Teac. Piece of cake, really
- Foobar/ASIO was hissing a lot even in 16/44.1 so I increased samples in ASIO drivers to 1920, all seems to be fine thereafter
- Foobar output uses ASIO4All but AudioGd also installs its own ASIO! I haven't tried that yet (since all is OK so far...)

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #191 of 385
The new drivers are stable as rock!!! 2 consecutive days, no crashes or strange issues whatsoever. robrob you should try the new drivers out, they are awesome.

Oh boy I've missed the sound texturing that comes with the USB. BTW I still have Optical hooked, do you think disconnecting it would further improve sound clarity?

I have some new AKG K702's to run in... so I hope next report will be on its headphone port!

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #192 of 385
I will definitely install the new drivers but I'm on vacation right now. I leave the optical cable connected to the DAC when using the USB cable too and it should have no effect on sound quality. Thanks again on being the pioneer on the new drivers.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #193 of 385
I'm glad the driver works, but it still won't allow my windows 7 to use turn off the screen, use the screen saver, or sleep when the DAC is connected by USB.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #194 of 385
Hey guys I decided to pull the trigger on this TEAC UD-H01 and I have a few questions. I just sent back my Oppo BDP-105 player with the SABRE Reference ES9018 and I was so so surprised on how clean and quiet it was compared to my other PC Sound cards I have used in the past. I am now using a ASUS Xonar Essence STX but I am getting a ton of hum and popping sound when ever I move my mouse. So I decided to try this H01 out and pair them with my Adam Audio ARTist 5 speakers via XLR setup. My question is do I only need the TEAC driver? As of now I am trying to JRiver on a trial and I might not stay with it and go to another player. Do I need any other drivers to go with it?  Thanks

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #195 of 385
Hey guys I decided to pull the trigger on this TEAC UD-H01 and I have a few questions. I just sent back my Oppo BDP-105 player with the SABRE Reference ES9018 and I was so so surprised on how clean and quiet it was compared to my other PC Sound cards I have used in the past. I am now using a ASUS Xonar Essence STX but I am getting a ton of hum and popping sound when ever I move my mouse. So I decided to try this H01 out and pair them with my Adam Audio ARTist 5 speakers via XLR setup. My question is do I only need the TEAC driver? As of now I am trying to JRiver on a trial and I might not stay with it and go to another player. Do I need any other drivers to go with it?  Thanks

Just make sure your computer is up to date with Windows Updates, .Net Framework especially. The driver is required for USB connection. You can bypass the driver if you are using optical or coaxial, however limited sample rates may be supported 44.1, 48, 96khz only depending on your hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back