Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Dec 3, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #361 of 572
  I am not a chord fan. dave was a big disappointment to me. i felt the ayre qx-5 twenty smokes dave. it is less money and uses an ess chip as it's heart. yet i feel it is vastly better. i know this is ot but i would not be surprised if i liked the 503 better than the hugo tt. certainly better than mojo. that is just my feeling though. everything really depends if you like the sound. regardless of price or status.

I agree with that

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #363 of 572
simon, if you could like things on this board i would like that. i never can stress that enough. if at all possible one must always listen to gear. it does not matter if it is $500 or $500,000. it is a very personal thing. i have seen instances all over the board. very cheap stuff that was great and very expensive that sucked. again, that was just my opinion. someone else may find it the other way around. i feel there is no low or high end or mid-fi. it all depends what you like. i understand their are budgets where people cannot obtain what they do like but that is an entirely different story. regardless i think the 501 and 503 are very solid choices for the money. i like to test inexpensive gear mainly because i can get loaners from being in the industry and i like it to help people. still, it is my opinion. it is not necessarily anyone elses. the most important thing i feel i always say is you must listen. either buy with a 30 day return policy or better yet patronize a local shop. unless they are audio snobs which actually is rare anymore. one point i would like to make is if you can live without dsd. which you should be able to. a r2r nos dac for the same price may very well be better. i can think of some that are.the curve is going to be  aweak point on inexpensive gear. even though these have a sort of nos mode. the ayre for instance has an ess but their curve is so refined that it is beating most fpga and r2r dacs. it does not belong mentioned in this thread though because it is $12,000. however a lot of money is going to go into r&d of the curve/filter which is not going to usually be spent on less expensive dacs. still with a few choices the 501 and 503 are very nice. if you need dsd i think you can stop here. however again, that is just my opinion.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #364 of 572
  simon, if you could like things on this board i would like that. i never can stress that enough. if at all possible one must always listen to gear. it does not matter if it is $500 or $500,000. it is a very personal thing. i have seen instances all over the board. very cheap stuff that was great and very expensive that sucked. again, that was just my opinion. someone else may find it the other way around. i feel there is no low or high end or mid-fi. it all depends what you like. i understand their are budgets where people cannot obtain what they do like but that is an entirely different story. regardless i think the 501 and 503 are very solid choices for the money. i like to test inexpensive gear mainly because i can get loaners from being in the industry and i like it to help people. still, it is my opinion. it is not necessarily anyone elses. the most important thing i feel i always say is you must listen. either buy with a 30 day return policy or better yet patronize a local shop. unless they are audio snobs which actually is rare anymore. one point i would like to make is if you can live without dsd. which you should be able to. a r2r nos dac for the same price may very well be better. i can think of some that are.the curve is going to be  aweak point on inexpensive gear. even though these have a sort of nos mode. the ayre for instance has an ess but their curve is so refined that it is beating most fpga and r2r dacs. it does not belong mentioned in this thread though because it is $12,000. however a lot of money is going to go into r&d of the curve/filter which is not going to usually be spent on less expensive dacs. still with a few choices the 501 and 503 are very nice. if you need dsd i think you can stop here. however again, that is just my opinion.

Thank you for that. Somehow, I decided that I tried the headphones as well. So it's great if DAC have a headphone amplifier. I participate in this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teac-UD-503-High-End-USB-D-A-Wandler-und-Kopfhorerverstarker-Schwarz-/401235948190?hash=item5d6b86b29e:g:RzgAAOSwux5YQH6m
Although I still hovers between UD-503 and A20H Gustard. Otherwise, in our little land it is almost impossible to listen before buying.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #365 of 572
I live in about as rural as it gets in america. i drive 16 hours to chicago and go to as many stereo shops as i can. i understand in remote european or especially asian places you would need a darn airplane. anyways that was an outstanding price in euro. did you win it?

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #366 of 572
  I live in about as rural as it gets in america. i drive 16 hours to chicago and go to as many stereo shops as i can. i understand in remote european or especially asian places you would need a darn airplane. anyways that was an outstanding price in euro. did you win it?

No, I didnt win...
I think I will take Gustard A20H.

regards,
Simon

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #367 of 572
I am not a chord fan. dave was a big disappointment to me. i felt the ayre qx-5 twenty smokes dave. it is less money and uses an ess chip as it's heart. yet i feel it is vastly better. i know this is ot but i would not be surprised if i liked the 503 better than the hugo tt. certainly better than mojo. that is just my feeling though. everything really depends if you like the sound. regardless of price or status.

In what way do you prefer ud503 to Hugo tt? Curious

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #371 of 572
I don't know if Teac does firmware updates but I would love to see 2 things if possible with firmware change:

1) Disable the blinking "Ready" when music is stopped
2) Make the Input Selector an Output Selector

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #374 of 572
Can anyone give some input as to how the 503 stacks up against the iFi iDSD Micro, when both are run as a DAC only? I have the iCan Pro and use the iDSD for my DAC, and would like a DAC with balanced outs for my amp, and really can't afford much more than the Teac at this time. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back