Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #334 of 572
I have heard the Mytek 192 DSD, Oppo HA-1, Teac UD-501, UD-301, UD-503, Chord Hugo.
My conclusion is, if you can afford it, get the Chord Hugo. Next best would be UD-503.

Mytek 192 DSD, Oppo HA-1- I personally use it and I can confirm that 503 plays a much more musical!!!
L3000.gif

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #335 of 572
Can I connect the UD-503 to a iDevice? Would it play hiRes/DSD using a hiRes App on from my iPhone/IPad?

no, you cannot connect to an idevice.

Has someone verified this? I thought apple's new lightning CCK and ios7 and higher allowed connection to a lot of (all?) USB dacs that support pcm. In another thread, someone is even using home sharing to output dsd from the stock ios music app (dsd over pcm, packed into alac) to an Ifi micro.

I have tried it personally and at least Teac NT-503DAB works both with Apple iPad mini via CCK cable and with Android phone Samsung Galaxy S7 via OTG cable. Only rear USB port works, the front one doesn't. What's important both mobile devices work without powered USB hub and I didn't notice any increase in battery drain.

But funny thing is that before I tried it myself I inquired official Teac support and I received this:

Q: Can AI-101DA or UD-503 be used with Android and iOS mobile devices via USB port without powered USB hub?

A (from custser@tascam.com): The AI-101DA and UD-503 do not work on iOS and Android devices. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #337 of 572
Chord Hugo, is it really worth it? I mean, I just sold a Geek Pulse SFi, people here told me that it is not going to be an upgrade if I got a Teac UD 503. Do I really need to jump to Hugo?

Hugo does not have LPS, you need another 500 for that, makes it a very costly product. Just like Geek DACs, no LPS sold together. I was looking for something with built-in LPS.

I was considering the Mytek 192 DSD, what other options do I have under 1000$? Thanks!

Hugo doesn't need an LPS. It runs off its internal batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #338 of 572

...But funny thing is that before I tried it myself I inquired official Teac support and I received this:  
Q: Can AI-101DA or UD-503 be used with Android and iOS mobile devices via USB port without powered USB hub?

A (from custser@tascam.com): The AI-101DA and UD-503 do not work on iOS and Android devices. 

I called their Tech Support with Pre-Sales questions...I knew more about the product than they did!

1. Regarding DSD files and gapless streaming via ethernet and he basically read the sales literature back to me (that mentions every file format except.dsf or .df files) then said  "it should".  I pushed the issue so he put me on hold to ask someone, came back to say "it does not support those file types". No indication that a future firmware update was in the works.

2. I would like to use the XLR connections for my main amp and the same time the RCA outs for my subwoofer, can I do that?  The tech replied Yes.  After reading the owners manual it specifically states "cannot use both outputs simultaneously".

There were other questions that were answered vaguely (or simply read off the website) by the tech.  So unfortunately their support leaves little to be trusted.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #339 of 572
you can most certainly use both outputs simultaneity with no degradation in sound. let your ears judge thoough. some very cheap amps run the xlr's se if se cables are present on the se jacks. this has a separate xlr path. it is not simply tied. that is only in dirt cheap equipment which usually lacks xlr's anyways.

i never call any tech support other than high end companies that often, but not always know specs. as i am an engineer. no surprise with teac but the sad thing is esoteric support is the same. unless they escalate the call to an engineer which is rare.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #340 of 572
Hi-

I tried this on another forum without luck. Hoping someone here might be able to help!

I had been happily playing DSD (.dsf) from a Mac/Pure Music to an iFi Micro, but recently changed to a TEAC UD-503 DAC and can't get DSD to work. After trying to troubleshoot, I've come up with a couple of potential culprits - it seems that perhaps the TEAC doesn't accept DSD over PCM on the USB port, which is the port I'm using (UD-503 | TEAC)? Also it seems that Pure Music only plays DSD via DoP, although Pure Music support documents were hard to find, and the only DSD setup guide from Pure Music I found was from 2012? These two factors appear to make sense though, as the DAC is sensing the Pure Music output as PCM @ 176. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this issue?

More generally, as part of trying to troubleshoot this specific issue, I'm under the impression that Mac's can only use DoP (instead of a native DSD stream), because they don't have ASIO? Am I misunderstanding that? Trying to troubleshoot the DAC, I downloaded TEAC HR player - which WAS in fact able to output a native DSD stream (it claims that it can play 1x, 2x, and 4x DSD on a Mac). I'm obviously missing something here - what is it?!

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #341 of 572
Just to update (in hopes of a reply!):

The online documentation for  the TEAC HR player says it uses DoP for Mac's ... and since I was able to successfully play a DSD file via the HR player, the UD-503 must accept DoP via the USB port. As a side note, the display on the UD-503 only indicated DSD 2.8 during playback - not DoP, as the manual suggests it will.

So it seems that it is likely a Pure Music issue? Any other thoughts or experience with similar issues?

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #342 of 572
  Hi-

I tried this on another forum without luck. Hoping someone here might be able to help!

I had been happily playing DSD (.dsf) from a Mac/Pure Music to an iFi Micro, but recently changed to a TEAC UD-503 DAC and can't get DSD to work. After trying to troubleshoot, I've come up with a couple of potential culprits - it seems that perhaps the TEAC doesn't accept DSD over PCM on the USB port, which is the port I'm using (UD-503 | TEAC)? Also it seems that Pure Music only plays DSD via DoP, although Pure Music support documents were hard to find, and the only DSD setup guide from Pure Music I found was from 2012? These two factors appear to make sense though, as the DAC is sensing the Pure Music output as PCM @ 176. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this issue?

More generally, as part of trying to troubleshoot this specific issue, I'm under the impression that Mac's can only use DoP (instead of a native DSD stream), because they don't have ASIO? Am I misunderstanding that? Trying to troubleshoot the DAC, I downloaded TEAC HR player - which WAS in fact able to output a native DSD stream (it claims that it can play 1x, 2x, and 4x DSD on a Mac). I'm obviously missing something here - what is it?!

Thanks!

The problem is with your DSD player. I am using Audirvana on my Mac and DSD via DoP works fine with the UD-503. Also neither DoP or custom ASIO is "native" DSD decode, but both are equivalent to native. The benefit to DoP is that it works on any platform that can stream PCM but custom ASIO drivers are specific to the specific DAC.

As to your other post, I clearly see DoP in the display on the UD-503 and it also shows the correct sampling rate. I just received my UD-503 one week ago, so If your's is older, maybe it has older firmware? I would contact Teac for advice.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #343 of 572
as it turns out, it was an apple setting. under audio midi, the Teac was set to 16 bit integer -rather than 24 or 32 - which is apparently needed for DoP. thanks for the help though, bflat ..

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #344 of 572
  as it turns out, it was an apple setting. under audio midi, the Teac was set to 16 bit integer -rather than 24 or 32 - which is apparently needed for DoP. thanks for the help though, bflat ..

Your DSD player should automatically set the right USB sampling rate and bit depth. If you have to change it manually there is still a problem. You might want to try Audirvana free trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back