Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Nov 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #346 of 572
  Seriously considering picking this one up.  It's either here or the questyle.  So many decisions....sigh.

I have the UD-503 paired with the TH900 (w/Lawton pads) using balanced out. It's a great pairing that tightens the low end and smooths out the high end of the TH900. I am using the 8x up sampling, no digital filter option.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #347 of 572

I have the UD-503 paired with the TH900 (w/Lawton pads) using balanced out. It's a great pairing that tightens the low end and smooths out the high end of the TH900. I am using the 8x up sampling, no digital filter option.

Thanks for the feedback.  I certainly don't want for the highs to be rolled off on the T1...though I have tried the combo and rather like it.  Anyways, very solid chance I'll be getting this, especially since the 600i has issues with 4490 atm.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #350 of 572
Hello,

Im new on this forum.
I wonder if the UD-503 is suitable as a preamp for Sony TA-N80ES?
Until now I had Rega DAC R, Naim DAC V1 and Aune S16. Most to my liking was Aune S16. Therefore, I now wanna know how Teac UD-503 match with N80ES? And if the UD-503 run on Linux distro?

For any advice / experience I am grateful. Sorry for my bad English.

Greetings from Slovenia.

Simon

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #352 of 572
Hello,

Im new on this forum.
I wonder if the UD-503 is suitable as a preamp for Sony TA-N80ES?

Until now I had Rega DAC R, Naim DAC V1 and Aune S16. Most to my liking was Aune S16. Therefore, I now wanna know how Teac UD-503 match with N80ES? And if the UD-503 run on Linux distro?

For any advice / experience I am grateful. Sorry for my bad English.

Greetings from Slovenia.

Simon

It will be quite a personal taste when choosing a preamp, I am using my ud503 as a preamp for my vintage Yamaha b-2x, in general, I feel the preamp part of ud503 is pretty 'clean', not adding much colour, which is what I like, but may not be yours. And I also love it's remote, as I am getting lazy and like to change volume while lying on the sofa.

And I did connect it to a Raspberry pi with picoreplayer, works fine, but haven't tried MPD.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #353 of 572
It will be quite a personal taste when choosing a preamp, I am using my ud503 as a preamp for my vintage Yamaha b-2x, in general, I feel the preamp part of ud503 is pretty 'clean', not adding much colour, which is what I like, but may not be yours. And I also love it's remote, as I am getting lazy and like to change volume while lying on the sofa.

And I did connect it to a Raspberry pi with picoreplayer, works fine, but haven't tried MPD.

Hmm...ok. Sony TA-N80ES is a little on the bright side. So I hope for some " colour" adding...hmm..I will try..
I need remote to, because Im having some health problems..
Thank you very much for your response.

regards,
Simon

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #354 of 572
my buddy, tight on cash got the 503. after break in i have to say once again it is competing with way more expensive dac/amps. i really do not think you can do better for the price and he researched the heck out of it with my help.  i know i bashed the quality of the 503's build but the sound is solid. it will not compete with $10,000+ dacs but what do you want lol. i did feel it could hang with some 3 grand dacs.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #355 of 572
For comparison, I had Aune S16, my friend had Hugo TT. Hugo has maybe 15% better on the whole spectrum. But Hugo TT has cost € 3,500. Aune S16 - 600 €. I would take Aune S16 again, but I need also a preamp function. So I choosing between UD-503 and A20H.

reagards,
Simon

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #356 of 572
For comparison, I had Aune S16, my friend had Hugo TT. Hugo has maybe 15% better on the whole spectrum. But Hugo TT has cost € 3,500. Aune S16 - 600 €. I would take Aune S16 again, but I need also a preamp function. So I choosing between UD-503 and A20H.

reagards,

Simon

I feel most of the dacs with real preamp within similar price range claims their preamp is 'tansparent',i.e.it's just a good analog volume control. It makes sense as a whole, the colour should be added in the dac part, not the preamp part.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #357 of 572
I feel most of the dacs with real preamp within similar price range claims their preamp is 'tansparent',i.e.it's just a good analog volume control. It makes sense as a whole, the colour should be added in the dac part, not the preamp part.

A little stupid question: Does this DAC sounds exactly the same, if set to a pre-out or a fixed DAC area? I hope that I have written at least somewhat logical.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #358 of 572
  A little stupid question: Does this DAC sounds exactly the same, if set to a pre-out or a fixed DAC area? I hope that I have written at least somewhat logical.

Line out is analog so there is no loss of resolution between fixed and variable pre-out. It's simple voltage attenuation.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #360 of 572
I am not a chord fan. dave was a big disappointment to me. i felt the ayre qx-5 twenty smokes dave. it is less money and uses an ess chip as it's heart. yet i feel it is vastly better. i know this is ot but i would not be surprised if i liked the 503 better than the hugo tt. certainly better than mojo. that is just my feeling though. everything really depends if you like the sound. regardless of price or status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back