Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Dec 31, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #391 of 572
why would listen to headphones and speakers at the same time? i think the teac is handsome too. it is kind of trickle down from esoteric but a different style. i guess you meant like gear from the 60's and 70's. interestingly it looks similar to a 60's teac rreel to reel i have.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #392 of 572
  why would listen to headphones and speakers at the same time?

You're right.  It's just a capability of my current system (a Focusrite interface), so I'm used to using it.

It's really kind of enjoyable.. you can switch between environments by simply taking the phones off and setting them down.  No switches or plugs required.

Probably sounds crazy but actually it's nice because the music is always there.  To be honest, I'd hate to give it up.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #393 of 572
Could someone tell me if this is used just as dac, balanced to a balanced amp, does it bypass volume control on the Teac ?  Thanks

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #394 of 572
oh, of course focuserite does that. that is semi-pro gear. so the phones are in the chamber and the monitors are in the control room. the funny thing is who that product is aimed ar probably does not have a full studio anyways. i get what you are saying though. i spoke very highly of that focusrite. time has marched on. the teac is much better.

the volume control does not affect the bal outputs if that is what you mean. they are fixed.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #396 of 572
badlucy, this is good for not a lot. https://www.surfcables.com/products/sennheiser-headphone-cables to do better you would have to spend at least $250. if you want to spend a lot more there are options too.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #397 of 572
  Could someone tell me if this is used just as dac, balanced to a balanced amp, does it bypass volume control on the Teac ?  Thanks

You can set the balanced output to either fixed or variable via the menu. The full choices are:
  1. Fixed +0 dB
  2. Fixed +6 dB
  3. Variable
  4. Off

I have mine set to variable because I can see the gain level in the display to achieve the same settings as fixed.

This is for both XLR and RCA outputs. You can only select one of the outputs at any time. Plugging in headphones into the UD-503 mutes the line outputs.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #399 of 572
  thx music_man. is that worth to try a balanced cable on ud 503? i just use hd650 and hd700 on ud 503 at same time.   or balance is a troll at all?

Make sure you look at the wiring diagram in the 503 manual. The jacks are 6.3mm. I have all of my full size can cables terminating in 4 pin XLR and use XLR adapters to connect to various SE and balanced plugs.

As for balanced on 503, I find the balanced with active ground to create an extremely low noise floor which creates an overall more spacious sound both width and depth on my TH900. Regular balanced versus unbalanced, I can't really tell any difference.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #400 of 572
Make sure you look at the wiring diagram in the 503 manual. The jacks are 6.3mm. I have all of my full size can cables terminating in 4 pin XLR and use XLR adapters to connect to various SE and balanced plugs.

As for balanced on 503, I find the balanced with active ground to create an extremely low noise floor which creates an overall more spacious sound both width and depth on my TH900. Regular balanced versus unbalanced, I can't really tell any difference.
thanks for your help.i will look into it . i just got 503 today. reason:Nr.1 dac sold in japan in month 12.2016 lol is that simple. and so many fertures. i was not sure cause lack of reviews and google 1st page is whatshifi give it 3 stars.but whathifi recommend fast all England own pruduct. are they good? sure .but too much. so which seems not so important to me. to short a/b hd-dac1. well made both .good looking. hddac1 seems more home feeling . hddac1 is heavy . better build quality outside and better looking inside . hddac1 ipod plug and play using hf player dsd playable and charging at same time. mostly its a usbdac for my headphone, but i can ez use a iphone to play with it whlie read books. without hearing my gaming computer fan...dac1 matched hd650 very good for some jezz .slower song better than 503. but 503 just make hd650 all round, not just some songs. for me 650 dark plus 503 a little bright together just reached the best point.thats very important. hd700 fit both dac well but need more time to feel what i can say..casue i like 650 more. 503 is balance sound. if listen to it long time, may get boried. hddac1 plus 650 for me is love and hate wew and What.,depends on different music style.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #401 of 572
I stand corrected about the volume control. balanced should almost always be better on anything. unless the amp was just junk. which the 503 is not at all.

when you move to high end amps and dacs it would be a complete waste to run se. so that says something about balanced at least.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #402 of 572
  I stand corrected about the volume control. balanced should almost always be better on anything. unless the amp was just junk. which the 503 is not at all.

when you move to high end amps and dacs it would be a complete waste to run se. so that says something about balanced at least.

i got coufused about balanced stuff. never tried that true balanced in my life. cause i thought 3,5mm 6,35mm are balanced too. just didnt find 6.3 balanced cable in eu for now. oh here is top seller list in japan. http://www.phileweb.com/ranking/products/191/60.html

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #403 of 572
use a 4 pin xlr with an adapter. best thing to do. try to get the adapter from the same cable material. any custom maker and some spec makers should have it. or just use the one i showed above. pull down the menu bar to 2x 6.3. i had it at 2x 3.5. the 6.3 is nice. even some very high end dac/amps have 3.5. the teac is really aiming way above it's price. i did not even know about the volume. so it is a preamp as well. i feel there is no way you can do better for even close to the money. i do like bargains at any price. sure, you can just go buy an msb if you have the funds but if for instance you tweak out an ayre codex starting under 3 grand you can have reference class sound. for the teac i think it is as good as some dac/amps twice the price. it is high quality manufacture with great features. the 6.3 is a very nice feature. i feel it would be more flexible in the future to get the 4 pin xlr and adapter than to get the 2x3.5.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #404 of 572
  i got coufused about balanced stuff. never tried that true balanced in my life. cause i thought 3,5mm 6,35mm are balanced too. just didnt find 6.3 balanced cable in eu for now. oh here is top seller list in japan. http://www.phileweb.com/ranking/products/191/60.html

Give Ted Allen a shout at Headphonelounge. He made an XLR cable and dual 6.3mm balanced XLR adapter for me and  it works perfectly. His new T2 OCC wire is top notch and the prices are very reasonable.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #405 of 572

Give Ted Allen a shout at Headphonelounge. He made an XLR cable and dual 6.3mm balanced XLR adapter for me and  it works perfectly. His new T2 OCC wire is top notch and the prices are very reasonable.

but im in EU ....if i use just 1 headphone jack to listen.will only 1  AK4490 DAC work and anther  AK4490 DAC just sit there doing nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back