TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #106 of 386
Quote:
My IE800 arrived a few hours ago.. done some preliminary listening (with the ODAC & Lake People G109-S)..

They definitely have that smooth, midcentric, romantic 'house sound' that's found on the BA200.  Like the BA200's bass, the IE800's bass sounds quite linear to my ears.  The BA200 had a bit more punch & impact (going off memory).. but the IE800's bass sounds tighter and faster.  It's certainly punchy enough for my tastes, too.  The BA200's mids were a bit more thick and dry in comparison to the IE800's airy, open mids.  The IE800's mids possess that tinge of sexy warmthvthat made the BA200 so special.. it's just not laid on quite as much.  The treble, more specifically the upper mids/lower treble, is where the greatest deviation between the BA200 & IE800 occur.  The IE800 has more energy in this region.. giving the signature a greater sense of clarity & brilliance.. as well as giving the soundstage a sense of openness.  I can't say that the IE800's treble is better or worse than the BA200.. moreso that it's different.  What's most important to me is that both phones integrate the tuning in this area quite well with their overall sound.  Despite the difference, I appreciate the treble tuning on both phones equally.  Currently, the IE800's upper mids/lower treble are a little splashy and strident (even when being driven from a nice amp like the G109).. but we'll see if this smooths in time.

What I can say right now is that the IE800 is meeting, if not slightly exceeding expectations.. that's a very good thing.  More thoughts coming later..

Nice initial first impressions, FlySweep buddy! I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the bass of both TDKs (I think the BA200's bass is more visceral), but both are just right. The punch/impact, tighter-faster is head on! Now, the treble will get much better with burn in. I was listening to some jazz the other night (I forget who it was) and the cymbal rides and splashes had some of the most natural sound and timbre that I've heard in most IEMs. Drum strokes have the right reverb and echo (beating out the GR07 for me once burn in sets in). Again, a longer silicon tip gives me the best details and timbre (like the R1's long double-flange). Anyway, happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #107 of 386
Sorry to disagree with you here mate, I'd say IE800 is not really a mid-centric IEM, I'd say it's more of a flat FR with extended treble 
wink_face.gif

I think the FR posted earlier here is pretty accurate 

anyway, IE800 owners, feast on these...

http://youtu.be/kYf4kqnAWos

http://youtu.be/8LhCd1W2V0Q

If you can find the higher quality recording of either of the above, absolute eargasm with IE800...
just want to say, while I do not have my IE800 yet both of the tracks are simply stunning on my SRH940, if anyone has a pair have a listen. The imaging and sound stage is simply amazing...

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #108 of 386
Wow just tried the FXZ100 with the Lenny Kravitz tune and it sounded so small and lacking in comparison...

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #109 of 386
Wow just tried the FXZ100 with the Lenny Kravitz tune and it sounded so small and lacking in comparison...

Yes, I experienced a similar thing with the A161p, which felt positively confined in comparison. The spaciousness of the IE800 really is something.

And Flysweep, "splashy" is a good word for ootb cymbals, which does improve with burn in. Comply negates somewhat but for me at the expense of some spaciousness. Looking forward to further impressions.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #111 of 386
Quote:

Okay, I think its fair to say that the IE800 and BA200 complement each other. Although have similar characteristics in sound (being mainly mid-centric earphones), I wouldn't say one is the dynamic/balanced armature version of the other. For example, I think the IE800 has more bass quantity than the BA200, but the latter's bass is more visceral. Vocals may be a tad more natural sounding in the BA200, but the imaging and spaciousness between instruments are better (to my ears) in the IE800.

Now, actually in the states the BA200 is cheaper (or has been cheaper) than the IE800, although the list price for the BA is higher than that for the dual dynamic driver. I also think the BA200 is more comfortable to wear and the cord is a bit easier to manage than the IE800. 

Which one is better? I honestly can't choose. Some days I like the BA200 better, and then on some days I like the IE800 better. So I guess I have to call them a tie in enjoyment to my ears. Oh, one other thing, I've found that if use long double-flange silicon tips (like the ones found in the R1) on the IE800, I will get more comfort in wearing them. The IE800 definitely presents more of a comfort challenge. I wear glasses and the BA200 is not a problem whatsoever wearing them over my ears. 

Thanks for the response. I probably will pick up a pair of IE800's in the near future. Will post impressions when I do.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #112 of 386
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #113 of 386
Finally... perfect eartip match found (medium Jays single flange). The sound has now smoothed out significantly, loosing the edge and aggression (which I wasn't adverse too). The sig has lost some of it's brightness but none of it's clarity. Possibly even more impressed...

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #114 of 386
Good to know as I have that tip on hand if needed :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #115 of 386
Quote:
Finally... perfect eartip match found (medium Jays single flange). The sound has now smoothed out significantly, loosing the edge and aggression (which I wasn't adverse too). The sig has lost some of it's brightness but none of it's clarity. Possibly even more impressed...

I don't understand, do you feel the sound agressive, because the mids and highs are more forward than bass or because the highs are a bit harsh ?

I ordered mine anyway.
smile.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #116 of 386
I don't understand, do you feel the sound agressive, because the mids and highs are more forward than bass or because the highs are a bit harsh ?

I ordered mine anyway.:smile:

Good question. I found them aggressive in detailing, due to the forward upper mids and lower treble (which I've never found harsh). However, the sound has balanced out nicely since I found suitable tips, and I no longer find it aggressive.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #118 of 386
Quote:
Good question. I found them aggressive in detailing, due to the forward upper mids and lower treble (which I've never found harsh). However, the sound has balanced out nicely since I found suitable tips, and I no longer find it aggressive.

Thanks Nulliverse, I'll see next week if I can bear those mids and highs, I guess I can, because B2 or H-100 highs are not a problem for me. My default tips are silicon bi-flange.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #119 of 386
Is the treble RE0 kind of aggressive, DBA-02/B2, ER4S or GR07?

A negative answer is also appreciated.

I've never owned the RE0 or ER4S, and owned the GR07 too long ago to reliably comment. I'd say that the highs are smoother and less forward than the thinner sounding DBA-02 / B2. I found both those phones too analytical - the IE800 is thicker of note with a more natural timbre, whilst loosing no clarity.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #120 of 386
Bought my pair just now and listening. First impressions are very very good, reminds me somewhat of a more open, refined and detailed FXT90. More impressions to come :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back