TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #91 of 386
Quote:
is it worth thinking about the IE800 if I already have the BA200?

Quote:
So, which is better, IE800 or BA200? I'm looking to buy one of those two in the near future, and as of now, for me the IE800 costs around 100 USD, and the BA200 150 USD. Can anybody tell me if the BA200 is worth the price diff?? Thanks

Eric can answer this as he has both.

One thing I have to mention is that this is certainly a power-hungry IEM, unamped, I have to boost the volume on my iPod classic to about 95, iPhone/iPad to about 90

And also, responds very nicely with a warm amp, absolutely loving this with my E17 out of my MBPro

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #92 of 386
Quote:

is it worth thinking about the IE800 if I already have the BA200?

So, which is better, IE800 or BA200? I'm looking to buy one of those two in the near future, and as of now, for me the IE800 costs around 100 USD, and the BA200 150 USD. Can anybody tell me if the BA200 is worth the price diff?? Thanks

Originally Posted by djvkool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eric can answer this as he has both.

One thing I have to mention is that this is certainly a power-hungry IEM, unamped, I have to boost the volume on my iPod classic to about 95, iPhone/iPad to about 90

And also, responds very nicely with a warm amp, absolutely loving this with my E17 out of my MBPro

Okay, I think its fair to say that the IE800 and BA200 complement each other. Although have similar characteristics in sound (being mainly mid-centric earphones), I wouldn't say one is the dynamic/balanced armature version of the other. For example, I think the IE800 has more bass quantity than the BA200, but the latter's bass is more visceral. Vocals may be a tad more natural sounding in the BA200, but the imaging and spaciousness between instruments are better (to my ears) in the IE800.

Now, actually in the states the BA200 is cheaper (or has been cheaper) than the IE800, although the list price for the BA is higher than that for the dual dynamic driver. I also think the BA200 is more comfortable to wear and the cord is a bit easier to manage than the IE800. 

Which one is better? I honestly can't choose. Some days I like the BA200 better, and then on some days I like the IE800 better. So I guess I have to call them a tie in enjoyment to my ears. Oh, one other thing, I've found that if use long double-flange silicon tips (like the ones found in the R1) on the IE800, I will get more comfort in wearing them. The IE800 definitely presents more of a comfort challenge. I wear glasses and the BA200 is not a problem whatsoever wearing them over my ears. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #93 of 386
Quote:

Okay, I think its fair to say that the IE800 and BA200 complement each other. Although have similar characteristics in sound (being mainly mid-centric earphones)

Sorry to disagree with you here mate, I'd say IE800 is not really a mid-centric IEM, I'd say it's more of a flat FR with extended treble 
wink_face.gif
 I think the FR posted earlier here is pretty accurate 

anyway, IE800 owners, feast on these...

http://youtu.be/kYf4kqnAWos

http://youtu.be/8LhCd1W2V0Q

If you can find the higher quality recording of either of the above, absolute eargasm with IE800...

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #94 of 386
Well my pair is shipping out from Tenso today. So I will be adding my 2 cents pretty soon :).

On an off topic note my Win8 phone can now use the mobile version of Head-fi whoohoo! It's much easier than the desktop version when out and about.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #95 of 386
Quote:
Well my pair is shipping out from Tenso today. So I will be adding my 2 cents pretty soon
smily_headphones1.gif

On an off topic note my Win8 phone can now use the mobile version of Head-fi whoohoo! It's much easier than the desktop version when out and about.

Yep, took me a while to get use to, I only use the mobile version on my iPhone, still prefer the full desktop mode on my iPad

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #96 of 386
Quote:

Sorry to disagree with you here mate, I'd say IE800 is not really a mid-centric IEM, I'd say it's more of a flat FR with extended treble 
wink_face.gif
 I think the FR posted earlier here is pretty accurate 

anyway, IE800 owners, feast on these...

http://youtu.be/kYf4kqnAWos

http://youtu.be/8LhCd1W2V0Q

If you can find the higher quality recording of either of the above, absolute eargasm with IE800...

It's alright to disagree with me. lol. In my time on head-fi I find that sometimes we will agree and sometimes we will disagree. We all hear things differently. For me, the IE800 is what I hoped the RE262 would have been if that earphone had more bass. It doesn't sound flat to me at all. At least we agree that it sounds good.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #97 of 386
Quote:

It's alright to disagree with me. lol. In my time on head-fi I find that sometimes we will agree and sometimes we will disagree. We all hear things differently. For me, the IE800 is what I hoped the RE262 would have been if that earphone had more bass. It doesn't sound flat to me at all. At least we agree that it sounds good.

LOL - actually, what you said has got me thinking, I think for me IE800 is what I hoped the UE700 would be with better mids...

5 hours straight listening session tonight across all genre, paired with my E10 and E17, man I am going to make a big call, yes I like IE800 more than UE700, which has been my number 2 favourite IEM for quite sometime -- UE700 is more comfortable and has a slightly bigger bass impact (mid-bass mainly), but IE800 has better quality treble, much much more detailed mids, and its bass extends further

The funny thing is that I wasn't planning to buy IE800 at all, my plan originally was to buy FXZ200 from Amazon Japan, then my wisdom took control and I re-read the thread again, and realising that I am no basshead, so I canned that plan and bought IE800 and MA600 instead...

My FXZ100 is becoming a forgotten child now, has been sitting in my drawer, unused for the 3rd day straight, quite simply, I just can't take my IE800 out of my ears...

L3000.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #98 of 386
Quote:

LOL - actually, what you said has got me thinking, I think for me IE800 is what I hoped the UE700 would be with better mids...

5 hours straight listening session tonight across all genre, paired with my E10 and E17, man I am going to make a big call, yes I like IE800 more than UE700, which has been my number 2 favourite IEM for quite sometime -- UE700 is more comfortable and has a slightly bigger bass impact (mid-bass mainly), but IE800 has better quality treble, much much more detailed mids, and its bass extends further

The funny thing is that I wasn't planning to buy IE800 at all, my plan originally was to buy FXZ200 from Amazon Japan, then my wisdom took control and I re-read the thread again, and realising that I am no basshead, so I canned that plan and bought IE800 and MA600 instead...

My FXZ100 is becoming a forgotten child now, has been sitting in my drawer, unused for the 3rd day straight, quite simply, I just can't take my IE800 out of my ears...

L3000.gif

I still love the FXZ100 though, but the TDK BA200 and IE800 are two of my favorites now too. I had the IE800 playing most of the day on Tuesday, the BA200 all day on Wednesday, and I somehow intermingle them in between listening to my V6, S500 and FXZ100. Today, however, it's the good old reliable W4 that's at work with me. The BA200 is very close to the W4 in personal enjoyment to my ears.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #99 of 386
I suspect my FXZ100 will end up for sale a week after I get these. I just miss the mids and treble I get with my K550/SRH940 when using the 100's and I suspect IE800 is going to give me that plus more bass.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #100 of 386
Quote:
I suspect my FXZ100 will end up for sale a week after I get these. I just miss the mids and treble I get with my K550/SRH940 when using the 100's and I suspect IE800 is going to give me that plus more bass.

Let me say the IE800's bass won't be ANYWHERE near the FXZ's bass in quantity. Quality? FXZ100 bass is still better IMO, but that doesn't mean the IE800 has bad quality bass. After a good burn in the quality is very good.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #101 of 386
So long as the subbass isn't rolled off I will likely be happy. But at this point its all speculation for me LOL.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #102 of 386
Nulliverse.. how would you rate the IE800's speed?  Also.. is there any noticeable midbass emphasis or is it pretty flat through the bass frequencies?

Bass sounds pretty linear to me. If there's a mid bass boost, I can't detect it. The bottom end reminds me slightly of the 5X actually, albeit with less refinement, speed and sub capability (understandably). It's only there when it needs to be, and never encroaches on other frequencies. Speed is more difficult to judge, as I currently own only predictably faster BA sets. It cetainly never comes across as slow, or cumbersome. Decay feels very natural and is never overdone. Rumble is there when called for.

I'm with Eric10 in hearing these as a midcentric phone... but make no mistake, these are bright, aggressive, and almost edgy at times. Smooth they are not. In that way, I can relate to others hearing them as more analytical, or fatiguing. I'm hearing forward upper-mids, to go with forward treble, which gives them startling clarity. This, combined with the exceptional dynamics, depth and 3d layering, make for a truly unique signature.

I'm def agreeing that comfort is a challenge. I've hundreds of tips and have only found 3 pairs that don't bother me during extended listening. They sound as good to me with shallow insertion as they do deep. Just different.

Will give some more holistic impressions once I've finally found the right tip match. These phones are picky! Still, am blown away at how these perform.

Edit: I forgot about my MH1Cs, which bass wise have gobs more emphasis and far less speed. Also, my experience of the IE800s being midcentric may be influenced by my amp (TTVJ Slim).

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #103 of 386
Since I love the K550 and the SRH940 which are always refered to as bright, edgy, etc, I think I might really enjoy these :) I also like my Ety HF3 which is another midcentric IEM in my opinion. I just want more bass than the the Ety's and hopefully a smidge more than what I get on the K550 and the SRH940. If it has even a hint of the imaging and spaciousness of the 940 then I will be laughing (so long as I don't find them unbearabley uncomfortable).

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #104 of 386
Quote:
Since I love the K550 and the SRH940 which are always refered to as bright, edgy, etc, I think I might really enjoy these :) I also like my Ety HF3 which is another midcentric IEM in my opinion. I just want more bass than the the Ety's and hopefully a smidge more than what I get on the K550 and the SRH940. If it has even a hint of the imaging and spaciousness of the 940 then I will be laughing (so long as I don't find them unbearabley uncomfortable).

Well that wish will be easily granted. Not a a basshead IEM by any stretch of the imagination, but quite a bit more bass than than any Ety I've heard (I've only heard the HF5 though).

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #105 of 386
My IE800 arrived a few hours ago.. done some preliminary listening (with the ODAC & Lake People G109-S)..

They definitely have that smooth, midcentric, romantic 'house sound' that's found on the BA200.  Like the BA200's bass, the IE800's bass sounds quite linear to my ears.  The BA200 had a bit more punch & impact (going off memory).. but the IE800's bass sounds tighter and faster.  It's certainly punchy enough for my tastes, too.  The BA200's mids were a bit more thick and dry in comparison to the IE800's airy, open mids.  The IE800's mids possess that tinge of sexy warmthvthat made the BA200 so special.. it's just not laid on quite as much.  The treble, more specifically the upper mids/lower treble, is where the greatest deviation between the BA200 & IE800 occur.  The IE800 has more energy in this region.. giving the signature a greater sense of clarity & brilliance.. as well as giving the soundstage a sense of openness.  I can't say that the IE800's treble is better or worse than the BA200.. moreso that it's different.  What's most important to me is that both phones integrate the tuning in this area quite well with their overall sound.  Despite the difference, I appreciate the treble tuning on both phones equally.  Currently, the IE800's upper mids/lower treble are a little splashy and strident (even when being driven from a nice amp like the G109).. but we'll see if this smooths in time.

What I can say right now is that the IE800 is meeting, if not slightly exceeding expectations.. that's a very good thing.  More thoughts coming later..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back