TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #211 of 386
Quote:
OMG!! TIME TO KICK THE HYPE TRAIN BACK INTO GEAR A BIT!!

So I recently sold my W4 (which surprisingly was the hardest thing for me to do out of all of my universals). It wasn't that the W4 was my favorite universal (although it was up there), but it signature just hit a lot sweet spots for me. But I found that the BA200 did about 94 percent of what the W4 did for me (sans the W4's mid-bass hump and a bit less instrument separation than the W4). 

So I was thinking that the CKS1000 is the best universal I own (until I get a ASG-2) and the BA200 ran a second as the best universal I own (before you ask, the FXZ00 is about 5 or 6 right now), but I was curious about A/Bing the CKN-70 against the BA200. I've been burning in the CKN-70 slowly but steady, and now have about 80 hours on it. I'm thinking It come close but not destroy the BA200 (especially not the BA200's bass - great and full with deep inserting tips - or this balanced armature luscious refined mids (the TDK does something magical with piano). 

Well with 80 hours burn in, the CKN-70 has left me with my mouth with open! The AT micro carbon nanotube driver annihilates the BA200's bass in texture, sub-bass and clarity! It has a more natural tone with vocals and guitars than the BA200 (and the TDK is wonderful in this area too). The BA200 holds an ever so slight edge with the timbre of the piano, but doesn't runaway with it at all. And this really pisses me off! Why? Because I abhor the CKN-70s cable! I hate it with a passion! ... lol. But I can't argue with the sound. Taking both IEMs as a whole, the BA200 isn't too far behind, but the cheaper At edges out as the winner in sound. If you consider the sound and the build, I would give the edge to the BA200. But is the BA200 worth almost double price than the CKN-70? Let me put it this way, the BA200 is an excellent deal for about $140 to $150, and I would happily pay that for the CKN-70 if it had a better cord. But at about $80 with the cord it's a steal!

Oh, as far as treble, the BA200's highs are a lot smoother than the CKN-70, but has only a little less extension than the AT. The AT wins. It stops just short of being too hot for my ears. I never thought I would like AT phones this much, but the CKN-70, CKS1000, and A900X have done a great job in converting me.

What's wrong with theCKN70's cord? The IE800's cord has awful microphonics. Even the cheapo MT300 is quieter with more movement. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #212 of 386
Quote:
What's wrong with theCKN70's cord? The IE800's cord has awful microphonics. Even the cheapo MT300 is quieter with more movement. 

It's unruly as all hell. It's like it has a mind of its own. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #214 of 386
Quote:
So true about the IE800. That's why I only use it at home, fortunately the sound makes it up considerably.

My statement was about the CKN70, not the I800.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #216 of 386
Quote:
OMG!! TIME TO KICK THE HYPE TRAIN BACK INTO GEAR A BIT!!

So I recently sold my W4 (which surprisingly was the hardest thing for me to do out of all of my universals). It wasn't that the W4 was my favorite universal (although it was up there), but it signature just hit a lot sweet spots for me. But I found that the BA200 did about 94 percent of what the W4 did for me (sans the W4's mid-bass hump and a bit less instrument separation than the W4). 

So I was thinking that the CKS1000 is the best universal I own (until I get a ASG-2) and the BA200 ran a second as the best universal I own (before you ask, the FXZ00 is about 5 or 6 right now), but I was curious about A/Bing the CKN-70 against the BA200. I've been burning in the CKN-70 slowly but steady, and now have about 80 hours on it. I'm thinking It come close but not destroy the BA200 (especially not the BA200's bass - great and full with deep inserting tips - or this balanced armature luscious refined mids (the TDK does something magical with piano). 

Well with 80 hours burn in, the CKN-70 has left me with my mouth with open! The AT micro carbon nanotube driver annihilates the BA200's bass in texture, sub-bass and clarity! It has a more natural tone with vocals and guitars than the BA200 (and the TDK is wonderful in this area too). The BA200 holds an ever so slight edge with the timbre of the piano, but doesn't runaway with it at all. And this really pisses me off! Why? Because I abhor the CKN-70s cable! I hate it with a passion! ... lol. But I can't argue with the sound. Taking both IEMs as a whole, the BA200 isn't too far behind, but the cheaper At edges out as the winner in sound. If you consider the sound and the build, I would give the edge to the BA200. But is the BA200 worth almost double price than the CKN-70? Let me put it this way, the BA200 is an excellent deal for about $140 to $150, and I would happily pay that for the CKN-70 if it had a better cord. But at about $80 with the cord it's a steal!

Oh, as far as treble, the BA200's highs are a lot smoother than the CKN-70, but has only a little less extension than the AT. The AT wins. It stops just short of being too hot for my ears. I never thought I would like AT phones this much, but the CKN-70, CKS1000, and A900X have done a great job in converting me.

I believe the correct thread should be here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637086/audio-technicas-take-on-the-microdriver-ath-ckn50-and-ckn70

May 7, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #218 of 386
I can get a brand new pair of IE800 at 29,90 € (belgian people can also via http://www.ibood.com/be/nl/ it's a legit website like groupon but better because they are faster).

But it would be for outdoor use and last pages talk a lot about the fact that they are almost unusable when walking orso. Could this be solved with the use of earguide or not?

May 7, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #219 of 386
Note: the 29,95 offer is today only, in the Netherlands and Belgium: http://www.ibood.com/nl/nl. After reading the glowing reviews here, I ordered them, as for this price it seems to be a steal.

This will be my first hi-end set of IEM. Currently I use the Philips SHE9800, which are OK for sound quality, but I find quite uncomfortable for longer periods of use.

May 7, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #221 of 386
Quote:
Ibood is internationa (in Europe)l: http://www.ibood.com.

Yes, but the offer differs per country. For instance, today the UK offers a pair of flashlights for 6,95 pounds...
But there is always a chance the IE800 will show up in other countries' Ibood on another day.

Edit: it seems that Germany and Austria also carry the IE800 today, while Poland, Ireland and the UK offer the flashlights

May 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #223 of 386
I don't find the microphonics a big deal. The cable is flat, but pretty light and thin. If it's still too much, they can be worn over the ear (shouldn't need cable guides). €30 is a ridiculously good offer, I paid €100 and still think that was a good deal. Excellent phones, detailed and clear but not clinical. The housings are pretty large, that's more significant than the cable IMO.

May 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #224 of 386
Quote:
I can get a brand new pair of IE800 at 29,90 € (belgian people can also via http://www.ibood.com/be/nl/ it's a legit website like groupon but better because they are faster).

But it would be for outdoor use and last pages talk a lot about the fact that they are almost unusable when walking orso. Could this be solved with the use of earguide or not?

Rediculous price, thanks for the heads up. Pure coincidence that I read this, but obviously picked up a pair. At that price point, I'd feel comfortable to bring them to less IEM-friendly environments.. :wink: Unless they are really that good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back