TDK BA200 Thread
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #856 of 1,509
Quote:
Just picked up both a ba200 and the ie800.
Some quick impressions:
As far as comfort, I think both are very comfortable.  I wear the cable over the ears for both but the ie800 also allows you to wear them down.
I really like the flat cable over the ears since it seems to lay down easier.  I also wear glasses so this is great and there isn't too much interference.
I have yet to try to be active in them but I jumped around  and they stuck behind the ears just fine.  The IE800's housing makes it easier to pull it out of the ear, but the BA200 is easier inserting into the ear due to the smaller nozzle.  

The Y on the ba200 isn't as big as I expected.  Some of the pictures made it look large.  There also isn't that much weight to the Y junction and the extension connector is arguably heavier.

IE800 requires a bit more volume on the sansa clip zip than the BA200.  Not that much more.  Anyway, so far I'm enjoying both.

can you give us your impressions on the sound differences and what you like about each one in terms of the particulars in the sound. Like X headphone sounds wider (greater soundstage), Y sounds clearer and more detailed, X has more treble, etc.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #857 of 1,509
To me, the red star tips sound more detailed than the black ones. Furthermore they're more comfortable to my ears and isolate better. I can insert them much deeper.
The star tips have a more narrow inner opening than the TDK tips. Not sure if this could harm the sound quality...

Deep insertion is priority.

3 main principles in choosing BA200 tips.
Must go as deep as possible
The opening bore should not exceed the dampers diameter, the star tips are fine with this.
Length should be relatively short, Red star tips look too long. Maybe try green, if you can.

The only tip I know that meets all 3 are er6i-18c or Ety clear triflanges with the biggest flange cut off. Green star tips may also fit the bill...

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #858 of 1,509
Quote:
Deep insertion is priority.

3 main principles in choosing BA200 tips.
Must go as deep as possible
The opening bore should not exceed the dampers diameter, the star tips are fine with this.
Length should be relatively short, Red star tips look too long. Maybe try green, if you can.

The only tip I know that meets all 3 are er6i-18c or Ety clear triflanges with the biggest flange cut off. Green star tips may also fit the bill...

i have Westone triple flanges, I might try them with the biggest flange cut off. But the two small flanges are too small...
The triple flanges themselves are extremely uncomfortable and don't sound very good.

Only long flanges allow deep insertion because BA200's housing is too big to allow it with small flanges. It's always on the same position, no matter what flange I use.

I'm using very small flanges with Ultimate Ears 700 because they allow extremely deep insertion due to their small housing. When I wear them in over the ear style, you can only see them if you look directly into the canal.

Red star tips are about 1 mm longer than the TDK double flanges. They can't be that wrong...

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #860 of 1,509
Quote:
New, package came with unopened seal stickers, full unused accessories.etc

Could you share your impressions listening to this song? I would like know how does it handle this kind of songs. bass, imaging, soundstage, instrument separation.
Do you actually feel it?
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF9PAxe5Ng

and also if you could this one
biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFA56VwdQ3A

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #861 of 1,509
Hey guys, have any of you pair the ba200s with a portable amp like a fiio? I don't see much of a discussion on the amps so I'm curious how they'll sound with one

I'm guessing it won't be affected as much because of the stabilizer

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #862 of 1,509
Quote:
can you give us your impressions on the sound differences and what you like about each one in terms of the particulars in the sound. Like X headphone sounds wider (greater soundstage), Y sounds clearer and more detailed, X has more treble, etc.

Check also here
biggrin.gif

Quote:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.gr/2013/04/tdk-ie800.html

When two of TDK's double-driver IEMs are compared simultaneously, they clearly exhibit difference in tonality. While BA200 is tuned for neutral sound signature by following the diffuse-field reference in downsloping manner, IE800 is an over-exaggeration of original sound by emphasizing the bass & treble greatly. Although there is not much of point in distinguishing sonic superiority between these two, I personally prefer BA200 for its balance and smoother bass.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #863 of 1,509
Quote:
Hey guys, have any of you pair the ba200s with a portable amp like a fiio? I don't see much of a discussion on the amps so I'm curious how they'll sound with one

I'm guessing it won't be affected as much because of the stabilizer

The ba200 benefits as much from an amp as the next IEM. Honestly, I think the stabilizer does absolutely nothing. With the ba200 I hear as much difference in amps as with my other headphones and the stabilizer also doesn't do anything against hiss.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #865 of 1,509
marley which amp did you use? How would you describe the sound? Ie bass got tighter/more resolution

so far im only using it on my absolutely horrible onboard sound and youre right it does make a fair bit of hiss

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #866 of 1,509
Quote:
marley which amp did you use? How would you describe the sound? Ie bass got tighter/more resolution

so far im only using it on my absolutely horrible onboard sound and youre right it does make a fair bit of hiss

Yea it does hiss on my computer, but not to the extent of the Dunu Ares I used to use...

It is very much lighter

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #867 of 1,509
Quote:
I think the circuit makes it more consistent between sources

MRO has already described what the circuit is like

yes it tries to keep the impedance linear. as you can see from the graph impedance increases along with frequency. therefore you would hear the same from smartphone, laptop, sound card, etc. even though they would have different impedance outputs

Just to know generally speaking

Quote:

On desktop products, the output impedance tends to be larger than on their portable counterparts as they are frequently used with high-impedance headphones and operate out of a wall socket.

On portable products, the output impedance tends to be smaller as they are used with earphones and must operate on a battery, which cannot provide the high voltage necessary for a large output impedance.

http://en.goldenears.net/1389

therefore sound cards, desktops, on board etc. would have high impedance. Normally keeping BA 200 impedance linear would be around the manufacturing value of 35 Ohms. So sources must be lower than that. I am not an expert around here but this is my understanding of things

Quote:

have you tried other earphones with the same onboad sound? I dont think that BA 200 have to be blamed for that

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #868 of 1,509
Actually the BA200 still changes with impedance, but the stabilizer limits it, so it doesn't change as much as it would without it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #869 of 1,509
clicked search this thread but no results, sorry if it's been asked/discussed...
but it seems to me that this IEM shares a lot of properties with the Fitear ToGo! 334 or am I really mistaken here?
they appear to both have a slightly sloping FR balance and a bit bass/midrange presence at the very least... anyone who tried both? :)
probably nowhere near as good technically though, just in presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back