TDK BA200 Thread
Jan 13, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #661 of 1,509
Quote:
kjk1281 so graciously interpreted some of the new earphones rankings from the Japanese Premium Headphone Guide Winter. From what I see on how they ranked the MA600, I'm even more excited to hear it. The rankings are spot on, I think, on the FXZ series from JVC.

Audio-Technica ATH-CKN50
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---■---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---■---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---|---■---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★ Jazz ★★★★☆ Classical ★★★★ Club ★★★★

TDK TH-ECMA600
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---■---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---■---|---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---■---|---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★★ Jazz ★★★★☆ Classical ★★★★ Club ★★★★

JVC HA-FXZ100
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---■---|---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---■---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---■---|---|---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★☆ Jazz ★★★★☆ Classical ★★★★☆ Club ★★★★

JVC HA-FXZ200
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---■---|---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---■---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---■---|---|---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★★ Jazz ★★★★☆ Classical ★★★★☆ Club ★★★★★

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---|---■---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---|---|---■---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---■---|---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★★ Jazz ★★★★ Classical ★★★★ Club ★★★★

Audio-Technica ATH-CK100PRO
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---■---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---■---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---|---|---■---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★★ Jazz ★★★★★ Classical ★★★★★ Club ★★★★★

(In the rankings above, I'm using "☆" to denote a "half star")

Don't shoot me if there are any mistakes! 
font]

Hey dude - have you actually got the MA600, or have you bought it but still waiting to arrive?

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #662 of 1,509
Quote:

Hey dude - have you actually got the MA600, or have you bought it but still waiting to arrive?

Waiting for it, hopefully sometime this week.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #664 of 1,509
Jan 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #665 of 1,509
Just sharing. I have been using the bi-flanges from my SM3 and the BA200 shines and the treble response is almost the same as my GR07. With the stock comply tips or the sony hybrids, the Ba200 sounds dark. Funny how these can change so much in character just by using a different tip.

With the SM3 tips, the BA200 lets out more detail, better treble response, a more airy feel.

I didn't pay too much attention to the difference in bass, maybe I'll try the stock tips again and focus on the bass. From what I remember, the comply tips gave me the most rumble, at the expense of some treble. We'll see.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #666 of 1,509
Would like a BA200 vs Earsonics SM2 comparison if possible haha... want to see how the BA200 stacks up against one of the top tier dual drivers

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #667 of 1,509
Quote:
Would like a BA200 vs Earsonics SM2 comparison if possible haha... want to see how the BA200 stacks up against one of the top tier dual drivers

Sold my SM2 awhile ago, but from memory the BA200 is smoother and more refined than the SM2. The BA200 has more treble extension, but the SM2 has more bass (yet the TDK's bass is more visceral). Mids are a bit more recessed in the SM2. The Earsonics, however, was easier to drive. My preference would be the BA200. Actually, the TDK house sound is getting close to being tied with my favorite house sound from a large audio company (which is JVC at the moment).

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #668 of 1,509
Sold my SM2 awhile ago, but from memory the BA200 is smoother and more refined than the SM2. The BA200 has more treble extension, but the SM2 has more bass (yet the TDK's bass is more visceral). Mids are a bit more recessed in the SM2. The Earsonics, however, was easier to drive. My preference would be the BA200. Actually, the TDK house sound is getting close to being tied with my favorite house sound from a large audio company (which is JVC at the moment).

That's quite an endrosement. I have not heard the SM2 but the BA200 does compare well to my SM3 with the SM3 outperforming the BA200 by just a few notches. TDK does have a winner here and as I heave read, with the IE800 as well.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #669 of 1,509
Quote:
That's quite an endrosement. I have not heard the SM2 but the BA200 does compare well to my SM3 with the SM3 outperforming the BA200 by just a few notches. TDK does have a winner here and as I heave read, with the IE800 as well.

Yep, for the price, the TDKs are a super good deal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #671 of 1,509
Well I received my R-50s yesterday, and I have to say I'm not that impressed with them.  They do sound good, but to me, they're boring and not very engaging.  Plus, they're a bit too bright for my taste.

From what I've read, the BA200s offer the best qualities of the R-50s (soundstage, detail, imaging), but add warmth and sweetness, and I think that's what I'm missing from the R-50s.  I'm looking for a more musical signature, and I'm hoping the BA200s will give me that.

I'm probably going to order the BA200s today and do some side by side comparing.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #672 of 1,509
I've been using a Sennheiser HD 558 for some time now and looking forward to a decent IEM for travelling. I guess I like analytical sound but I'm also fond of a good bass(when the track has it) and a non fatiguing sound. I also would not want sibilance to be a problem with the IEM I choose. I mean if the TDK can give me excellent clarity with all the detail, good bass, non fatiguing sound, neutralish?, and not excessively bright, then I'll give it a go. It goes for about $143 on ebay with free shipping. Any advice guys?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #673 of 1,509
The TDK ECMA600 is here in the office with me. I'll get a chance to give some first impressions in about 30 minutes to a hour from now.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #675 of 1,509
This will be my last time posting about the ECMA600 on this thread unless it's a comparison of how this stacks up against the BA200 and IE800 (which I won't do in any way until after extensive burn in)...

First (TDK ECMA600 - magnetic armature)>>Okay. Hmmm? First thing is that these little buggers have bass! May have more bass than the IE800 and the BA200 in quantity (the jury is still out on quality). It's a bass and mids-forward IEM, yet with treble extension too. The IE800's and BA200's basses are more refined (actually those two earphones have a more refined sound, period, at this point). The earphones are very sturdy though with the rubber stablizer connect to it. There is a definite power to the sound. With that stated, these need some serious burn in before any conclusive thoughts can be made. Electrical guitars sound amazing in these. At the moment, I have to say the IE800 and BA200 are miles ahead, but there seems to be potential and platform to build upon in getting better.

Second (ATH-CKN50) - I'm actually more impressed with the CKN50 on first listen than I am with the MA600. Nice bass, mids and treble (although the treble is bordering on being too much for me - not over the cliff yet, but close). Nice full sound with gorgeous mids. I agree with DannyB that these have more to do with the FXD80 than FXD70, but don't get me wrong, this is definitely the AT house sound (which in my opinion tends not to be as warm as JVC). Nice spacing between instrumentation. I can't wait to hear what burn in does for these. Now, with that stated, I think AT put its money into the sound and not the cord and some other things. The cord feels very stiff and flimsy to me, although the housings are very solid. TDK wins on build quality, but AT wins on sound quality (out of the box). Both show there is plenty room to grow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back