TDK BA200 Thread
Jan 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #691 of 1,509
Quote:
  When I had the BA200, I thought they had more in common with the UM2 than the UM3X soundwise and in detail retrieval.

I've forgotten how the UM2 sounds, but I did A/B the BA200 directly against the W2 and SE425 once, and I found the BA200 quite a bit better than the W2 in tonal balance and detail, while being similar (slightly superior) to the SE425 in detail retrieval. I personally also consider the UM3X to be a little better than the BA200. It's just that the BA200 is more pleasant for personal listening; the UM3X feels like a musicians' tool through and through (I think I stated that in my review? haha... don't remember, too long ago). Again, I want to reiterate to people that I personally believe that the one "flaw" the BA200 has is that it doesn't have triple-driver detail capability, but it does come close. Presentation-wise, it also doesn't have triple-driver fullness, but depending on one's preferences, that may or may not be a good thing.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #692 of 1,509
i think the BA200 is best value for money for its price compared to other IEMS in its price range similar to the BA200's.

guess that pretty summed it up all. the only flaw i think the BA200 like what the previous reader stated, its lacking of triple driver capabilities and in addition the cable of the BA200 kind of turns me down.

If i were to spend that within the range of BA200, no doubt i will go for it.

cheers

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #693 of 1,509
I've forgotten how the UM2 sounds,

The UM2 literally sounds like a poor mans UM3X, except it is a bit brighter overall and a little less bass. So from a value & sound perspective I'd recommend the BA200 over the UM2 but I prefer the build quality and aesthetics of the UM2. When I owned both the BA200 and UM3X together and UM2 and UM3X together, I much prefered the UM3X for everything.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #694 of 1,509
Okay, I now realize that I enjoy the discoveries of tip rolling! So, the other day I discovered that the large double-flange  Senns, provides me with the best isolation, bass, clarity and instrument separation with the IE800. I also found a packet of unused Jays silicone (transparent) that fit the W4. I decided to try them and found that they produced the same deep (sub) bass, clarity and transparency that I get with the deep-inserting Earportz silicone tips and (to a little lesser extent) the stock large bullet shaped tips.

So I was thinking this morning if the Jays work so well with the W4, why couldn't be the same with the BA200. Just tried it about 15 minutes ago, and wonderful! Now the BA200 really has monitor sound with the Jays (almost pushing them as forward in sound as I heard the SM3, but yet with more space). The clarity and transparency is still shining through, but what I was hoping for has really materialized>> more BASS! Yes gorgeous deep bass that's unmuddy and works well with the entire sound spectrum. I could only achieve this level of bass with the BA200 by using the deep-inserting Earportz (which I still love for the W4 and BA200), but the Jays allow a quite similar sound signature with more comfort. 

I would suggest trying the Jays if you love the BA200 (as I do), but wished it had a tad more bass in it and a bit more of a 3-D sound signature. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #695 of 1,509
I put this is Tom's review thread but realize this thread gets alot more play.

I have a question for those with both the GR07 and the BA200. I wear IEMs for traveling and isolation. If you were choosing between the 2, which gives better isolation. I have used the Shure SE215s and ER-4s and those are my standard. Many say the Etys are better than the Shures but I did not find that to be the case. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #696 of 1,509
Quote:
I put this is Tom's review thread but realize this thread gets alot more play.

I have a question for those with both the GR07 and the BA200. I wear IEMs for traveling and isolation. If you were choosing between the 2, which gives better isolation. I have used the Shure SE215s and ER-4s and those are my standard. Many say the Etys are better than the Shures but I did not find that to be the case. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

BA200 hands down for isolation.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #698 of 1,509
Not having triple driver capability? Or triple driver fullness? Please define. Not sure what you mean, as i've not yet experienced a direct correlation between quantity of drivers and capability, nor fullness.

Interesting references Shotgunshane... and thanks for the tips tip Eric10. I just so happen to have an abundance of Jays silicon single flange. They work a treat with the IE800 too.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #699 of 1,509
Quote:
Not having triple driver capability? Or triple driver fullness? Please define. Not sure what you mean, as i've not yet experienced a direct correlation between quantity of drivers and capability, nor fullness.

Interesting references Shotgunshane... and thanks for the tips tip Eric10. I just so happen to have an abundance of Jays silicon single flange. They work a treat with the IE800 too.

Can't get them to stretch over the IE800.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #700 of 1,509
Quote:

BA200 hands down for isolation.

Dang it. Thats what I thought. I have the GR07 Bass Edition in hand now. I really like it so far but I have 2 issues. The first is tip selection. I cannot use the Complys I like so much for isolation. They don't fit well and come off easily and if I use the smaller Complys that I stretch to fit well, they destroy the highs and soundstage. The second is because of this I have to use the hybrids and they suck for isolation. I have read all the comparisons for these 2 and just don't know what to do. I like the bass of the GR07 BE a lot but I love detail, air and soundstage too. I could always EQ a bit. I have a tough decision to make. I only want to own 1 pair of IEMs and I need it to be a "do it all" pair. The other thing going for the BA200s is the price. I can get them for $40 less. Help a brother out. Push me one way or the other. I know there are many owners of both.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #701 of 1,509
BA200 all the way. The bass EQs up nicely and the rest of the presentation is amazing. I've never listened to the GR07 but I've read plenty of people's views that the BA200 is better.
Quote:
Dang it. Thats what I thought. I have the GR07 Bass Edition in hand now. I really like it so far but I have 2 issues. The first is tip selection. I cannot use the Complys I like so much for isolation. They don't fit well and come off easily and if I use the smaller Complys that I stretch to fit well, they destroy the highs and soundstage. The second is because of this I have to use the hybrids and they suck for isolation. I have read all the comparisons for these 2 and just don't know what to do. I like the bass of the GR07 BE a lot but I love detail, air and soundstage too. I could always EQ a bit. I have a tough decision to make. I only want to own 1 pair of IEMs and I need it to be a "do it all" pair. The other thing going for the BA200s is the price. I can get them for $40 less. Help a brother out. Push me one way or the other. I know there are many owners of both.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #702 of 1,509

I have both the GR07 BE and the BA200. The GR07 has been in and out of the drawer and is in prestine condition except for the 300 hour burn in (mostly playing a bassy song lo inside the drawer)The BA200 has never seen the insides of my drawer and they are all worn with scratches, sweat, tears and all.

I can't and won't say which one is better, but I definitely know which one I prefer.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #704 of 1,509
Ok, I just got these and initial impressions are interesting. Listening though my MacBook and E17.

Highs:
Granted I have the GR07 BE so there has been talk of the highs not being as good. Still I noticed a good bit of sibilance on the BEs and I have over 100 hours of burn in plus listening. Still immediately I find the high end of the BA200 considerably better. When I say better, I find I hear more top end in the details dept and quantity. There is no sibilance however. I am using the same tips on both, Comply Ts100 (they are stretched to fit the GR07). Also in listening to some classical tracks I am familiar with, I find the BA200s actually do better on speed and are less congested. The tips on the GR07 definitely effect this though so take that into account. Even so, it does make a huge difference to me because I use Complys all of the time for maximum isolation. I have yet to find a Comply that does work well with the GR07s so that is a huge negative for me. The BA200s sound great with the Complys.

Mids:
No contest for me here. The BA200s seem to be more forward and I like that. They also resolve a touch more detail. Kind of remind me of Shure mids but not quite as sweet and smooth. Very close though.

Bass:
Again no contest here with the GR07 BEs winning easily in quantity, punch and depth. The speed seems to be about the same. I can also say the same thing about resolving details down low. I haven't tried any test tones to see which actually goes lower but that isn't important to me.

Fit:
Easily on par with the GR07s, better than my Shures. No issues on pain.

Isolation:
Much better than the GR07s with the same Comply tips. Also as good as the Shures.

Cable:
Honestly I don't like the multi piece cable. I cannot imagine what they were thinking. Even so, it doesn't bother me that much. The over the ear design is great and is better than the GR07 with and without the ear guides. I like the memory cable on the Shures but it is hard to deal with sometimes.

Overall at this price $144 (Amazon) these are keepers. I would prefer a touch more bass quantity but I will just EQ them a touch with my E17. Very happy just hours into my purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back