TDK BA200 Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,412 of 1,509
+1

I fixed mine this summer by changing the acoustic dampers. The right one was clogged beyond repair.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Unfortunately that did not work for me. It's definitely just the bass driver that is out. There are not clogged. I'm really disappointed in these phones and TDK.

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,413 of 1,509
Unfortunately that did not work for me. It's definitely just the bass driver that is out. There are not clogged. I'm really disappointed in these phones and TDK.

Well shame that they decided to discontinue the BA200 cause support is bad now

My tweeter was blown too (it split in half) and I was so enamoured by the BA200 that I bought another

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,414 of 1,509
Basically there is no support at the moment. If you're covered by warranty TDK transfers you the cash you paid or offer you other model. I took the cash, fixed mine and managed to snatch another pair on my own.

It's the first time ever that i own two sets of the same earphone but i like a lot the BA200 signature and its quality for the price is mind blowing.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,415 of 1,509
Left woofer on my BA-200s went out on me a few days ago (a couple months after the bottom half of the cord failed and had to replace) and I am pretty disappointed. I have the RHA MA750 and HifiMan RE-400, both of which i really like, but there was something about the BA-200s that I absolutely adored. The sound signature is just so smooth and easy, but also very detailed and clear. Couple that with the fact they were by far the most comfortable IEMs I've ever had (I have very small ear canals so comfort is often an issue with me and IEMs) and I'm worried I won't be able to find a replacement I like as much within $200 of the BA-200's price. I would just get another one on eBay but really don't want to have to replace it again in a year when it inevitably fails (build quality isn't exactly stellar). 

With that said, anyone who's BA-200s have failed on them had luck replicating the fit/sound of the BA's at a somewhat reasonable price? The closest I can find to the look, fit, and sound (at least on paper) to the BAs is the Westone W30, but not sure I'm ready to shell out $400 for them if I can get something similar for less. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,416 of 1,509
Left woofer on my BA-200s went out on me a few days ago (a couple months after the bottom half of the cord failed and had to replace) and I am pretty disappointed. I have the RHA MA750 and HifiMan RE-400, both of which i really like, but there was something about the BA-200s that I absolutely adored. The sound signature is just so smooth and easy, but also very detailed and clear. Couple that with the fact they were by far the most comfortable IEMs I've ever had (I have very small ear canals so comfort is often an issue with me and IEMs) and I'm worried I won't be able to find a replacement I like as much within $200 of the BA-200's price. I would just get another one on eBay but really don't want to have to replace it again in a year when it inevitably fails (build quality isn't exactly stellar). 

With that said, anyone who's BA-200s have failed on them had luck replicating the fit/sound of the BA's at a somewhat reasonable price? The closest I can find to the look, fit, and sound (at least on paper) to the BAs is the Westone W30, but not sure I'm ready to shell out $400 for them if I can get something similar for less. 

VSonic GR07?

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #1,417 of 1,509
While they may be of similar quality overall, I guess its hard to recommend a dynamic speaker headphone as a replacement for a dual BA. Going by Rin Choi's analysis I guess you could search for a Brainwavz B2 or Rock It R50, they should be in the same ballpark.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,418 of 1,509

I don't think W30 sound like BA200. Had both at the same time and i sold the W30 because vocals were not as good as on BA200.

Don't get me wrong overall W30 where a bit better but at *4 the price (and loving vocals) i settled for BA200.

I think Westone W20 would be a better match to the BA200. Or even Westone UM PRO 30. But W30 vocals are far in the mix versus the intimacy of BA200.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,419 of 1,509

I don't think W30 sound like BA200. Had both at the same time and i sold the W30 because vocals were not as good as on BA200.

Don't get me wrong overall W30 where a bit better but at *4 the price (and loving vocals) i settled for BA200.

I think Westone W20 would be a better match to the BA200. Or even Westone UM PRO 30. But W30 vocals are far in the mix versus the intimacy of BA200.

Thanks elfary, appreciate the insights on W30. I'm also a big vocals guy (one of the reasons I love my RE-400) so would be very disappointed to spend that much and have veiled vocals. 

From what I've read it seems like Westone spends more time and effort tuning the W30/UM Pro 30 and up, and their 10 and 20 series tend not to be very impressive, but I may take a look at the W20s as well. 

I've also looked at UM Pro 30 and based on what you mentioned about W30 that may be a better match for what I'm looking for. Only drawback I've read is the soundstage of Pro 30 is more closed in than the W30 but I have to say, all things being equal, I would prefer intimate vocals and soundstage to one thats artificially spread out. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,420 of 1,509
VSonic GR07?

I've looked into the GR07 and its definitely on the list of options. From what I've read though I'm wary of the bright, sometimes sibilant nature of the GR07 treble, since one of my favorite things about the TDK was the smooth, "easy" sound it had. All things being equal I'd also prefer a BA-based IEM since they tend to be smaller and have a more ergonomic shape than many of the dynamics. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,421 of 1,509
Phoo.  The headphone jack on my BA200s that I got last Christmas has gone out :frowning2:.  There's got to be a short in the jack, one of those cases where if you wiggle it the right way, the sound comes back in properly. 

What's the consensus on replacing the headphone jack for flat cables like these?  This would be my first DIY. I love the way these sound...

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,423 of 1,509
So instead of creating a new thread, I'm going to post my question here. I like the TDK BA-200's sound signature, I even stayed away from Head Fi since I got them because I didn't have the need to updgrade. However, the left ear does not work anymore, they're discontinued and I've read about other people having issues with the build quality as well so I need something else. I've read that the Westone UM series are very similar to these, does anyone have experience upgrading from these to the UM series, or any other model? I'm just looking for some guidance from people that have moved on from the 200's to something similar or better.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,425 of 1,509
The Westone series will be a little darker with less treble extension. The UM2 (old model name) would be closest. The UM3x and newer model will be considerable bassier and more stage monitor oriented.

Other choices to consider are the Hifiman RE400 but build quality is most likely a step back. Another to consider is the EarWerkz Supra universal. It will be a little bit brighter but still pretty linear. On the cheap, check out the Zero Audio Tenore. Somewhat similar in approach but with more sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back