TDK BA200 Thread
May 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,441 of 1,509
I stored them on a hard box filled with silica gel. And yes i used them on the gym where i don't want to wear the UM3x nor the W30.

It was the 2nd revision with no extension cable. In the end i sold them to the friend that fixed the jack and got the 1st version released and i use a shure extension cable instead of the TDK flat cable that sticked to the skin when sweating. Hope this time they age more gracefully.

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

May 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,443 of 1,509
I'd say it's the same but for the gym the version with extension cord fits the bill better cause you can choose an stronger and longer extension cable like the Shure one.

The latest version with no extension cord was not long enough for certain strength training machines and ultimately i think it led to the cable cracking at the jack.

May 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,445 of 1,509
Don't know the lenght of the single cable version. Way shorter than first version with the Shure extension cord though.

Stock dampers are 2200 ohms Sonion but i replaced them with 2200ohms Knowles which are more sturdy.

May 19, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,447 of 1,509
  Did the dust filter not help protect the damper? I will go ahead and buy an extension cable. 

To be honest prior to using the BA200 at the gym i never had suffered a sweat clogging that would not go away after 24 hours as sweat dried. And i've been using Shures for quite a few years and they don't have any grid covering the entry of the nozzle.

When i tool out the clogged Sonion filter it struck me how flimsy it looked when compared to ones fitted on Shure iems which are metal instead of plastic/paper like the Sonions. Hence i ended up buying several Knowles 2200ohms dampers from mouser and now they are fitted on my current set of BA200.

Sweat seems to form a mess with the Sonion paper filter the may render useless the iem. That is not the case with the metalic filter of the Knowles dampers.

May 19, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,448 of 1,509
I see. I ordered different ohm dampers, but I should have ordered 2200 ohm knowles as well so that the reference one would be more sturdy and it would be good in case I need a replacement. I will see if I can order some 2200 ohm, but the shipping is annoying...

May 19, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,449 of 1,509
  I see. I ordered different ohm dampers, but I should have ordered 2200 ohm knowles as well so that the reference one would be more sturdy and it would be good in case I need a replacement. I will see if I can order some 2200 ohm, but the shipping is annoying...

If you don't work out with them the Sonion should be good.

May 20, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,451 of 1,509
  Okay thank you! I hope these earphones can last me a while.

EDIT: Do they sound exactly the same? Some say the knowles sound better than stock Sonion or atleast this is what I read about se535.

I think that Knowles fares a bit better on the treble. But it's not a game changing improvement.

Hope my BA200 lasts as well. They sound great for the price.

May 20, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,452 of 1,509
To be honest prior to using the BA200 at the gym i never had suffered a sweat clogging that would not go away after 24 hours as sweat dried. And i've been using Shures for quite a few years and they don't have any grid covering the entry of the nozzle.

When i tool out the clogged Sonion filter it struck me how flimsy it looked when compared to ones fitted on Shure iems which are metal instead of plastic/paper like the Sonions. Hence i ended up buying several Knowles 2200ohms dampers from mouser and now they are fitted on my current set of BA200.

Sweat seems to form a mess with the Sonion paper filter the may render useless the iem. That is not the case with the metalic filter of the Knowles dampers.

Well I ran a half marathon with a BA200 and nothing happened to it lol

May 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,454 of 1,509
Nice. Out of curiosity, how does the tdk ba200 fair against the well known se425?

Too bassy for me. Had to dial the bass down by 6 dB. With this simple correction I liked them better than SE425. Still on the warm/thick side, smoother upper mids/treble compared to the more grainy sounding SE. Much closer to SD-2 than SE425. Shure has the upper hand on ergonomics, build quality and isolation, though. YMMV

May 20, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,455 of 1,509
Thanks for the input. I can agree that Shure has amazing build quality. That works well for me, because I like bass lol. Mine are coming in today. I can't wait!

Interesting point about sd-2. I was actually really considering the sd-2, but the price was too high so I decided against it. The build and finish looks very nice on it too though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back