TDK BA200 Thread
Apr 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #151 of 1,509
Quote:
I went on a tip comparison adventure:

For the most detail-oriented and brightest sound, the included double-flange tips (I use the smaller set, can't get a proper seal with the larger ones) with a deep insertion fit are best. You can clearly hear the transition from the warmer low driver to the brighter high driver. I actually quite like the sound presentation of these tips, as the soundstage isn't lacking despite the deeper fit, and has the more analytical sound that I'm used to. Cymbal crashes will sound correct and not be attenuated, as they can get with the Comply tips. Bass response is also the strongest and most well-textured. Sibilants are a little more pronounced with these tips, but the BA200 is tuned to be non-sibilant anyway, so it's not really a real issue. However, the flange edges are hard, and will cut into the skin of your ear canal after a while. They're also difficult to remove because of that, as those flanges act like barbs that dig into the ear canal and refuse to come out.

For the best comfort and most pleasant, laid back sound presentation, the Comply Ts-100 are the best. However, everything is smoothed over and the highs are a bit knocked down and the far tuning of the highs is accentuated. Sibilance is non-existent with these tips, and the low/high transition is just about unnoticeable. Thus, everything has a slightly warm tonality to it. Shure Olive tips behave similarly, but overall the Ts-100 is better with respect to sound, presentation, comfort, and even ease of use, since the Ts-100 are designed not to need squishing every single time you put them in.

Sony hybrid tips, which normally work well for many applications, are terrible with the BA200. I tried the medium size (green) with both Monster red expanders and the cores of an old set of Shure Olives, and both times, the hybrid tips made the sound muddy. I had some similar hybrid core tips that came with my DBA-02, but they didn't seem to seal in my ears correctly, and wasn't able to test their performance.

With those Shure Olive cores, I began testing out my huge set of random, generic silicone tips. They seemed to all produce a similar sound, whether it was a triple flange, double flange, or single flange. They all warmed up the upper mids, making the low/high transition less apparent (but still there, if you listen carefully). Bass response varied with each type of tip and the softness of silicone used. Flimsier silicone seemed to elicit less of a bass response and warble the details. It seems like harder silicone is more suitable for the BA200. Some of the bi-flange tips seemed to push the highs forward a little, but none were as impressive as the included bi-flange tips with regard to clarity and detail. Anyway, none of the tips particularly impressed me.

Klipsch tips were very comfortable, but they seemed to respond the same way as all the soft silicone tips I described above. I quickly stopped listening to music with them on.

So, it looks like TDK did a very good job in selecting the right type of tips to bundle with the BA200. The bi-flange tips are clearly the most detailed and neutral-sounding tips, while the Complys are the most relaxed and smoothed, making the selection that TDK gives us almost diametrically opposed to each other. The bi-flanges optimizes the BA200's technical performance, while the Complys optimize their presentation and comfort. It's too bad the bi-flange tips can get so uncomfortable over time; otherwise, they really make the BA200 sound very impressive.

Quote:
€200 doesn't sound too kosher, though. I think the sound is worth that, but its market value is clearly not as high. Stereo ships internationally, AFAIK (wait, you might actually already know that). I can't imagine that you would dislike them, as I feel they have better clarity and details than the SE530. It's no airy, sparkle king, but it's adequate. One thing though, the SE530 is slightly better built, if that's a consideration.

Quote:
The above suggestion works, but the only thing is that I found the sound slightly congested because of the excessively small-diametre opening of the Shure Flex tips.

Got these in and soon followed your path into tip rolling adventureland. Pretty much the same impressions from the tips we have in common, but I also tried the large Atrio double-flanges, which sound similar to the stock ones: good clarity and detail, but also a hint of sibilance. Nevertheless, the Atrio tips are soft and comfy and I like them best so far.

Overall, from very first impressions, the BA200 can definitely hold their own against the SE530. Their giant Y-splitter is rather annoying though, since it gets caught very easily (they should have tapered the upper end imo). Don't know if I'll end up keeping these phones, but so far they're quite a nice surprise.

Thanks again for your excellent review and most helpful tip comparison.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #152 of 1,509
HI guys I recently bought HTC one x and I'm very dissatisfied with the headphones that came with it so I'm looking for something to replace them with. As I have never owned a pair that are worth more than 20 quid I was wondering would be a good buy for a first timer as me. Would appreciate any advice, Thanks.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #153 of 1,509
If you can put up with their unwieldy Y-splitter, the BA200 are amazingly good IEMs for their asking price.

Since they have a modular cable and the HTC One supports apt-X, you could even get an apt-X enabled BT-receiver like the Samsung HS3000 and build yourself a decent quality wireless rig.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #154 of 1,509
Thanks for the welcome and advice, now i have set my mind on them i need to find a good deal for them. I was looking at the stereo website but i can't find a way to order from them, or would you know about any store that be about same price as stereo and ship to europe for a decent orice?

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #155 of 1,509

Quote:
If you can put up with their unwieldy Y-splitter, the BA200 are amazingly good IEMs for their asking price.

Since they have a modular cable and the HTC One supports apt-X, you could even get an apt-X enabled BT-receiver like the Samsung HS3000 and build yourself a decent quality wireless rig.

smile_phones.gif

Exactly what I will be testing, got the BA200s, got a HOX and just ordered the HS3000 from Amazon today will have it tomorrow. Will test it all out and post back my findings. As the SGS Voodoo'd kicks the A out of the HOX when using wired. So will be good to see how this wireless setup sounds compared to that. 

Loving these headphones, listened to a variety of Dubstep and wow amazing! 

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #156 of 1,509

Quote:

smile_phones.gif

HS3000 is $25 at newegg with code EMCNFHF225
May have to be newsletter subscriber to use that.  Don't know when it will expire.

Edit: my orders for this item keeps getting canceled for no good reason.  And it's suspending my account according to CS.  So try at your own risk :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #157 of 1,509
Quote:
Exactly what I will be testing, got the BA200s, got a HOX and just ordered the HS3000 from Amazon today will have it tomorrow. Will test it all out and post back my findings. As the SGS Voodoo'd kicks the A out of the HOX when using wired. So will be good to see how this wireless setup sounds compared to that. 

Loving these headphones, listened to a variety of Dubstep and wow amazing! 

Looking forward to your findings!

I'm still pondering over the HTC One S, X or SGS3, but ever since I've heard the HS3000 (with the SE530 and BA200) wirelessly from my Zen X-Fi3, I know for sure that my next mobile phone will have to support apt-X. While not high-end by any means, this wireless setup is very reliable and decent enough for me when I'm on the move.

May 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #159 of 1,509
The decrease in SQ is easily noticeable in a quiet environment, since there's also a bit of added hiss and static. But while out in the street or commuting on a bus or train, I can't make out much difference between a wired connection and apt-X. Note though, that regular A2DP is significantly inferiour to apt-X in sound quality.

I've seen the HTC One X in a local shop and know that it's huge. I haven't yet been able to try if I can fit it in my front jeans pocket, which is where I usually carry my mobile phone. The One S is smaller, but has only 16GB of non-expandable memory. I'm still considering my options, but will at least wait for the Galaxy S3 before making any buying decision.

May 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #160 of 1,509
I thought that there would be a much more significant difference. Id be interested to see what it looks like when set up (the wireless rig). I don't think id benefit from it at my age but when get a bit older and start commuting a bit more i think that sorta thing would come in handy.

Yeh i thought it'd be likely that you knew but i thought id still say it :L my mate got one the other day and although very light its getting close to a tab. It made my iPhone 4 look miniature! 
I think non-expandable memory is a big turn-off and one of the big downsides to an iPhone. 

May 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #161 of 1,509
I'm currently using the TF10 and I was thinking of re-shelling untill I saw this wonderful IEM. I understand it's more or less similar to UM3X but I have not listen to this yet.

Can any kind soul describe the sound as compared to TF10?

I understand that TF10 is using 3 drivers and BA200 is only 2, with -1 driver does the BA200 still holds.

Cheers.

May 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #162 of 1,509
Quote:

Disclaimer: The TF10 has never been my cup of tea, so I'm definitely a little biased against it, in terms of fit and sound.

The TF10 has a more expansive sounding presentation, and better bass impact. Other than that, it's the BA200 all the way. The vocals are closer, sweeter, and much more three-dimensional sounding. It's not quite as full-sounding as the UM3X, but it has better bass control coupled with great extension. The similarity with the UM3X is mainly with the same property of vocal 'lifting' above the rest of the mix, but the rest of the presentation is not quite the same. The rest of the presentation sounds more similar to the W4.

May 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #163 of 1,509
Quote:
I'm currently using the TF10 and I was thinking of re-shelling untill I saw this wonderful IEM. I understand it's more or less similar to UM3X but I have not listen to this yet.

I understand that TF10 is using 3 drivers and BA200 is only 2, with -1 driver does the BA200 still holds.

Cheers.

Thanks for your prompt response.

In terms of  bass, soundstage , mids , how do you rate TF10, UM3X and BA200 in terms of the best having 100% score.
i.e UM3x 100 % , BA200 70% , TF10 80% 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back