Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #961 of 2,409
You have and are describing the Land very accurately. Like I mentioned, I'm quite picky with tri-breds and have tried a few including the Damascus, QDC 14 and Project Y + a few others. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the Land nails it. Mainly because it sounds mucymore natural and the bass isn't overwhelming (to me). Live drums have a nice thump and you can hear the texture.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean about the Sparks, I'm sure it sounds great but not sure if it's my preference. What would you say is a good comparison? You mentioned before that Sony Z1R was similar to Land, what about Sparks?

I A/B'd the Land vs Trailli - same cable and players (Phoenix and HM1000 Quad and QA390) Trailli still tops with a much more natural timbre (everything sounds real and not processed), sound stage and bass (albeit it's BA). One thing I noticed with the Trailli is the size of the bores being huge. This may be part of the tuning.
@RPKwan did you compare Land with V14? :O

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #963 of 2,409
Tried a Taiwanese brand called BFD Audio today, their Legend IEM, a 12BA 4EST configuration. With stock cable it was good but pairing it with PWA 1950s it was very, very good. To me it was more memorable than the QDC V14 and a few others.

Even more curious about Sparks now...

Attachments

• 20210616_210309.jpg
    20210616_210309.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #964 of 2,409
Tried a Taiwanese brand called BFD Audio today, their Legend IEM, a 12BA 4EST configuration. With stock cable it was good but pairing it with PWA 1950s it was very, very good. To me it was more memorable than the QDC V14 and a few others.

Even more curious about Sparks now...
In what do you prefer BFD legend to QDC V14?
I don't find their website.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #965 of 2,409
In what do you prefer BFD legend to QDC V14?
The BFD Legend sound is massive, similar to Trailli. The details are impressive, fairly natural tuning, neither warm nor bright.

To be fair, I only tried V14 with the stock cable so maybe it's not a fair fight since with the 1950s cable the price with the Legend becomes much higher than the V14. The BFD Legend with the stock cable is at least as good as the QDC V14.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #966 of 2,409
I whole heartedly agree. LAND holds their own and has its own sound. As far as tribrids are concerned. LAND exceptional stage presentation with that bold bass end is what you would expect from a dedicated dynamic. Yet it isn't so brawny to the point there it starts to encroach in the mids. LAND exhibit some of that space and layering of the Sparks as the design of the two earphones are similar minus the bass implementation and extra EST for the Sparks and the tuning involved to get the best out of both earphones.

The more I use both of these IEMs the more I am understanding why they went with the particular tunings on both. It makes sense for the LANDs not have a forward mids as the Sparks as the Bass end will start to clash with a more foward mid signature.
It also makes sense to have the Sparks to have a more foward mids presentation and BA bass imlimentation is this tuning works better with a speedier tighter BA bass presentation for the type of sound it is going for.

Brilliant and more Brilliant.
Are vocals more focused and forward on the Sparks vs the Land?

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #967 of 2,409
Yes. With the right cable the LAND can perform nicely with vocals but it isn't at the level of the Spark. Spark has become my reference for vocals. I have heard some earphones with more forward vocal projection but the Spark has some amazing space in conjunction with that slightly forward vocal projection that becomes holographic and euphoric this leads to performances that just is breathtaking for vocals.

This track from London Grammar sounds great on most capable well balanced earphones but on the Spark. It will send shivers down your spine. I kid you not.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #968 of 2,409
Any thoughts on how the Spark compares to the MEST (V1 or V2)?

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #969 of 2,409
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #970 of 2,409
Jun 17, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #971 of 2,409
Maybe @Rockwell75 can chime in?

60CB939D-C61C-4195-A5BA-9800F34FFEC0.jpeg

E018A7BF-DA92-4693-BE23-F83E4C0B533E.jpeg
He’s been sharing some very nice impressions on Spark here in his thread:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/roc...ion-thread-index-on-first-page.957426/page-63

Just to be clear I haven't heard the OG MEST in over 6 months and never through the M8 so I have a harder time confidently comparing them. That said I think the OG MEST may have had slightly better bass than Spark but Spark has much more natural, clear and satisfying mids and highs than either MEST.

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #972 of 2,409
I had the OG MEST about 7 months ago and my memory of its sonic quality has faded, but I can tell you this.. I really tried to love them as it had very good technicalities, but couldn’t last 10-15 mins with them as they sounded too artificial, disjointed and grainy. Where as I can listen to the Spark 5-7 hours non stop with its more natural presentation.

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #973 of 2,409
Following is a collation of my first-day impressions of the Spark.

60AF4613-2CAF-4778-BA57-37459C07B5B3.JPEG

All listening done on a Shanling M8.

TLDR: Epic grandeur, naturalness, balance, weight and clarity. Should be on the short list of anyone looking for a balanced sound with top tier technicalities and for whom DD timbre is not a necessity.

Quick glance:

+ punchy
+ dynamic
+ well balanced
+ mids and highs have a massive weighty vibrant and authoritative presence.
+ vivid, bodied, resonant highs
+ clear and natural sounding mid-range
+ Female vocals are seductive, sweet and hypnotic
+ massive engaging holographic stage
+ forward, present & even keeled mids

- Bass lacks the thickness and quantity some may require
- lack of DD timbre in the mids (this is really just a function of where I'm at personally-- DD mids are a must to sustain my attention and interest these days).
- The vocals are decent, especially female but after being spoiled by the Isa they don't completely hit the mark for me (though female vocals come very close)
- the mids are good, not synthetic sounding or anything like on something like the MEST-- but to my ears they lack the seductive naturalness of the Elysium or Isa.

Relative to what I've heard before I'm tempted to say they sound a little like a Solaris, with much better highs, more forward upper mids and the DD swapped out for BA for the bass, with similar quantity. Solaris achieved its holographic sound & spaciousness at least in part due to a recession in the upper mids-- Spark gets this same effect without a similar recession due to the weight & power brought to the fore by the e-stats. To my ears the Spark are a clear step up from the MEST ii and would probably sit in the vicinity of OG MEST and Solaris if I were forced to rank them based on what I've heard so far.

The true star of the show here imho are the e-stats. They didn't jump out at me right away, perhaps because I was more fixated on the vocal and instrumental timbre at first, but the more I listen to them the more I am aware of their subtle & profound effects. Compared to the gen 1 estats in Ely they seem to produce a sound that, while similar in speed and shimmer, excels them in note strength, weight, "3dness"-- the the sound is vivid, powerful, lifelike & present without ever being overly vibrant, smeared or tingy. Mid range timbre aside the Spark, with its well balanced mid-forawrd tuning, is almost akin to an Elysium "with its big boy pants on".

The layering, separation, pristine clarity, sense of air & space are all fantastic...surpassing what is possible using a DD for the lows & mids. In fact it's probably the only real advantage to not using a DD. Is the sacrifice worth it? On the whole for me...no. While I am loving the technical, precise, spacious and engaging sound...a bit of the romance is gone. There's something about a good DD tuning that just tugs at my heart in a way I've not yet really experienced with any IEM lacking a dynamic in there somewhere.

The two most prominent things on my IEM wishlist now are 1) a MKii Ely with these same e-stats and 2) an IEM tuned by Oriolus, Campfire Vision Ears-- with a DD doing the mids & lows and these e-stats doing the highs.

The tonal balance is fair. There is definitely a trend towards the mids and highs. Bass is nice, but cold use more weight and the upper mid region is forward and present without being too much. Sometimes I think it could use just a touch more bass but most of the time the muscularity and sure footed delicacy of the e-stat sound almost instantly makes me forget that thought...but it does persist somewhat.

Anyone who is in the market for a ~$2K hybrid and who doesn't need DD timbre anywhere should take a serious look at the Spark.

Sometimes I find myself almost wishing for a touch more bass oomph & rumble but I almost immediately find myself second guessing those thoughts for fear that the extra bass might interfere with the wonderful layering and staging. This one of the main things which drew a comparison with the Solaris in my mind. I often had thoughts like "this needs just a touch more bass but maybe not in case it ruins something else I love about the sound" with Solaris. The key to Solaris' sound is its reigned in bass...but the DD there gives it a weight and solidity that makes its presence known when the quantity is comparatively low.

If I were presently in the market for a DD-less IEM just to be able to experience the characteristic staging, clarity, cleanliness etc. found in BA/e-stats then the the Spark is currently at the top of my personal recs alongside the Andromeda, VE8 etc. The Spark also has shades of what I loved about the Anole VX when I owned it only without the VX's slight but consistent tendency towards over-vibrant upper mids.

These things are also sensitive AF-- like 10 clicks down from where I'd listen to Andro.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #974 of 2,409
Yes. With the right cable the LAND can perform nicely with vocals but it isn't at the level of the Spark. Spark has become my reference for vocals. I have heard some earphones with more forward vocal projection but the Spark has some amazing space in conjunction with that slightly forward vocal projection that becomes holographic and euphoric this leads to performances that just is breathtaking for vocals.

This track from London Grammar sounds great on most capable well balanced earphones but on the Spark. It will send shivers down your spine. I kid you not.

The VE6XC has some of the most forward vocals I've experienced but the instruments are pushed too far back for my tastes.

Sparks ordered.

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #975 of 2,409

All listening done on a Shanling M8.

TLDR: Epic grandeur, naturalness, balance, weight and clarity. Should be on the short list to demo of anyone looking for a balanced sound with top tier technicalities and for whom DD timbre is not a necessity.

Quick glance:

+ punchy
+ dynamic
+ well balanced
+ mids and highs have a massive weighty vibrant and authoritative presence.
+ vivid, bodied, resonant highs
+ clear and natural sounding mid-range
+ Good BA bass
+ Female vocals are seductive, sweet and hypnotic
+ massive engaging holographic stage
+ forward, present & even keeled mids

- BA bass-- it's good BA bass, but still
- lack of DD timbre in the mids (this is really just a function of where I'm at personally-- DD mids are a must to sustain my attention and interest right now).
- The vocals are decent, especially female but after being spoiled by the Isa they don't completely hit the mark for me (though female vocals come very close)
- he mids are good, not synthetic sounding or anything like on something like the MEST-- but to my ears they lack the seductive naturalness of the Elysium or Isa.

Relative to what I've head before I'm tempted to say they sound a little like a Solaris, with much better highs, more forward upper mids and the DD swapped out for BA for the bass, with similar quantity. I would add that they're great and a clear step up from the MEST ii and would probably sit in the vicinity of OG MEST and Solaris if I were forced to rank them based on what I've heard.

The true star of the show here imho are the e-stats. They didn't jump out at me right away, perhaps because I was more fixated on the vocal and instrumental timbre at first, but the more I listen to them the more I am aware of their subtle & profound effects. Compared to the gen 1 estats in Ely they seem to produce a sound that, while similar in speed and shimmer, excels them in note strength, weight, "3dness"-- the the sound is vivid, powerful, lifelike & present without ever being overly vibrant, smeared or tingy. Mid range timbre aside the Spark, with its well balanced mid-forawrd tuning, is almost akin to an Elysium "with its big boy pants on".

The layering, separation, pristine clarity, sense of air & space are all fantastic...surpassing what is possible using a DD for the lows & mids. In fact it's probably the only real advantage to not using a DD. Is the sacrifice worth it? On the whole for me...no. While I am loving the technical, precise, spacious and engaging sound...a bit of the romance is gone. There's something about a good DD tuning that just tugs at my heart in a way I've not yet really experienced with any IEM lacking a dynamic in there somewhere.

The two most prominent things on my IEM wishlist now are 1) a MKii Ely with these same e-stats and 2) an IEM tuned by Oriolus, Campfire Vision Ears-- with a DD doing the mids & lows and these e-stats doing the highs.

I would say also that I really like the tonal balance. Bass is nice and the upper mid region is forward and present without being too much. Sometimes I think it could use just a touch more bass but most of the time the muscularity and sure footed delicacy of the e-stat sound almost instantly makes me forget that thought. I'm going to flip the bass switch up and see what happens.

Anyone who is in the market for a ~$2K hybrid and who doesn't need DD timbre anywhere should take a serious look at the Spark.

Sometimes I find myself almost wishing for a touch more bass oomph & rumble but I almost immediately find myself second guessing those thoughts for fear that the extra bass might interfere with the wonderful layering and staging. This one of the main things which drew a comparison with the Solaris in my mind. I often had thoughts like "this needs just a touch more bass but maybe not in case it ruins something else I love about the sound" with Solaris. I eventually turned on the bass switch on and pretty much immediately wanted to turn it off as, much like I thought it would, the staging became more intimate and the overall presentation lost some of its grandeur. .

If I were presently in the market for a DD-less IEM just to be able to experience the characteristic staging, clarity, cleanliness etc. found in BA/e-stats then the the Spark is currently my choice-- presently ahead of the Andromeda, VE8 etc. The Spark has shades of what I loved about the Anole VX when I owned it only without the VX's slight but consistent tendency towards over-vibrant upper mids.

These things are also sensitive AF-- like 10 clicks down from where I'd listen to Andro.
I'm also a big fan of DD and the reason I went for the Land first. Just knowing that the bass is there when you need it is satisfying, and the DD in the Land is no joke. It's got the timbre visceral impact that I love.

Waiting on the Sparks now just to see whata Tansio Mirai flagship can sound like. Not expecting the same bass but maybe it's spacious enough for some more euphoric music from musicians like Moses Sumney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back