Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #2,101 of 2,420
Gosh, a lot of action in here! I gave X the Dark Side of the Moon test last night, with full bass setting which I'm liking the most, Divinus Velvet tips, EA Cadmus 8w and Shanling M9 plus in Med gain. Just excellent, again, I think this one is a winner, and not just at the price point. @Leonarfd I think it's better than Maestro and Scarlet Mini, and trying to reach MSE levels (it doesn't, but price should be mentioned as MSE is 1800).

As mentioned, this is how I'm listening to it and I do not think this is basshead, maybe barely. The Scarlet is even more bassy.

Mine says hi!
1000005991.jpg

If I used that advice for iems right out of the box, only those that get some factory burn (yep, like 64audio and CFA) would remain. The great majority of other iems don't get that at the factory.

As to the brain versus gear burn, it's pretty clear that brain burn is the more effective of the two. But I would have jettisoned many an iem if I didn't let it burn in before I let my brain judge it. Best most recent example was the very expensive Kinera Loki Emerald that I demoed from brand new in the box. It sounded very much different from out of the box, where I listened for a couple minutes, to 100 hours when I listened again. That's when the 5-15 second test actually matters. They don't retune themselves, they come into their tuning with a bit of sustained current.

@dharmasteve i appreciate your zeal and agree that early impressions can be more black and white than after thorough listening of days, weeks. But @Leonarfd was openly saying these were early, so hopefully most readers can take that into account when trying to make decisions. But I'll challenge him on the pricing comment...these are a step up from a Penon 10th which cost $100 more. And those minis also cost more. So I'd say X is quite the deal at 400usd!
100% agree with everything you said

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #2,102 of 2,420
They arrived!

I'll give you my first impressions soon. I just took them out of the box, and they look even better in person. I hope they sound as good as they look!

Attachments

• 20240210_153627.jpg
    20240210_153627.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_153423.jpg
    20240210_153423.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #2,103 of 2,420
Never tried to make any discussion about the TSMR X, as I said in first post I like it. I personally felt I praised the TSMR X, I just wanted to share some first impressions. Same now 24 hours later, been using it over the day and enjoyed my time. Not a genre master, but when it hits homerun it is excellent.
But I'll challenge him on the pricing comment...these are a step up from a Penon 10th which cost $100 more. And those minis also cost more. So I'd say X is quite the deal at 400usd!
I dont really disagree that much with you on the price, its a solid IEM for the $399.
As mentioned, this is how I'm listening to it and I do not think this is basshead, maybe barely. The Scarlet is even more bassy.
Scarlet look like an extreme basshead set from graphs, I did skip it as I was not that convinced from Maestro Mini.
TSMR X is way better than Mini for me, no contest really. Bass quality a big step above, mids also even if both lack some here for me, treble of Mini is harsh and is good with X.
Mini is one of those sets I found a little hard to understand the love about, I know many love the Mini so probably just me.

---------------------

If I look at some other IEMs around the price of TSMR X and what to pick, highly subjective. Also some more expensive ones.

TSMR X > Penon Serial
TSMR X > Penon 10th
TSMR X > ISN Neo 5 (Even if I like the mids way more on Neo5)
TSMR X < ISN EST50
TSMR X > Maestro mini
TSMR X > Hisenior Okavango
TSMR X < 634ears Miroak-II
TSMR X < TIMSOK TS-316
TSMR X > AüR Aurora
TSMR X < AüR Aure
TSMR X = 64 Audio U4s

Looking at my own reflection here I like it more than some sets and less than others, very often I dont find price to be a good judgment of what I love.
And its always down to what we preffer in sound.

Enjoying this now, punchy and vibrant sound even if midrange is a little withdrawn.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #2,104 of 2,420
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #2,105 of 2,420
Do you really believe that? This is an honest question.
Yeah, not about technicalities. More just about which I like more.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2,106 of 2,420
They arrived!

I'll give you my first impressions soon. I just took them out of the box, and they look even better in person. I hope they sound as good as they look!
My initial impression is that these have a slightly excessive amount of treble for my personal preference. For instance, Freddy's voice has a shimmer, and when the volume is increased, it becomes piercing.

In comparison, the Penon 10th has a smoother treble, allowing for higher volume levels without causing discomfort. Although I do not recommend listening at excessively high volumes, the Penon 10th provides a more refined and less pronounced treble response.

I'm going to give them more time to settle and revisit.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,107 of 2,420
His teachings are what I put my heart into. You shouldn't be so flippant about him.

I too hold them close to my heart and that's why I mentioned it - I don't do it flippantly.

You just put a throw away comment not having really listened in depth and also about to pass them on to somebody else. That's not to me useful for others....helps nobody. It's way better to give IEMs more time and better evaluation. It's OK to be wrong 😃. Take your time.

To see you overriding the contribution of @Leonarfd as being 'wrong' (false/without value) frustrated me and to do that while sharing such deeply important teachings on compassion in your signature was completely incompatible, hence why I felt the need to mention it. The 'I'm right, you're wrong' attitude is dismissive. Our hearts are bigger than this...and to put it in a way you may understand, the perfection of wisdom and compassion is beyond attributes of right and wrong.

Sorry those who just want to see TSMR X content. Hopefully there will be more valuable experiences to read about soon.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,108 of 2,420
Its very common to talk about something the first day, personally I wait 5-10 hours of listening before posting. Did the same here, I also mentioned its early impressions.
Other people have made early impressions, and as long they are just praise nothing will get questioned. Even my faovorite IEMs have something I find negative, I guess just nothing is perfect.

Overall I praised the TSMR X in last day posts, perhaps the best low end Penon has ever had in any of their models. Says a lot as Penon and ISN is known for their spectacular low end, I guess only that I can think of that like as much for bass is EST50 even if they are also different.

Lets say if not for my decision to not buy Penon IEMs(sister brands also) anymore I would have bought the TSMR X. Very few IEMs that comes out punch above their price point, its rather opposite where some brands are overpriced. 400usd for the TSMR X is just perfect in my opinion.

And most important of all, my Mr Grumpy approves of TSMR X. He is a basshead.

1707571813859.png
I’m starting to think picking up this IEM was a curse for you given the back and forth tucks across threads :dt880smile:

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #2,109 of 2,420
My initial impression is that these have a slightly excessive amount of treble for my personal preference. For instance, Freddy's voice has a shimmer, and when the volume is increased, it becomes piercing.

In comparison, the Penon 10th has a smoother treble, allowing for higher volume levels without causing discomfort. Although I do not recommend listening at excessively high volumes, the Penon 10th provides a more refined and less pronounced treble response.

I'm going to give them more time to settle and revisit.
Love reading these initial impressions, thanks for sharing! Look forward to hearing how your experience develops.

Thanks for the further impressions from you as well, @Leonarfd, and @emdeevee too! :grin:

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #2,110 of 2,420
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2,112 of 2,420
Spent nearly two hours listening to the X today while on a walk (for me 2 hours listening to music is a lot given an overwhelming schedule and commitments). Anyway, fun, for sure. But I will say that something in the upper mids or lower treble was fatiguing by the end. Have others noticed this? I mentioned earlier that on first listen I could not detect the peak that graphs indicate around 2.8KHz, but maybe that’s what is causing it? I’d need to EQ that down to experiment…

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #2,113 of 2,420
You still using the stock cable? If so that is the first thing I would change out. Don't know if the X has a lot of upper mids according to graph it only has about 8dbs worth which I consider moderate vs anything excessive. If you try a copper cable you're still getting some sensitivity, try lowering the 7-8khz region a few dbs instead. Might do the trick.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #2,114 of 2,420
Just so you guys know. This is a case of Tansio Mirai using what they have on hand. The cable that came with the TSMR-X. Is a more technical/ detail enhancing type cable. It is similar in what it does to a silver plated monocrystalline copper cable that Fiio used to use.

I am very certain Taniso Mirai spent 100% of their efforts in tuning and designing the X but not exactly matching the right cable for it. IMO these can use something like a hybrid type cable. half copper and half SPC type. Would have actually helped balance the TSMR-X for musical and technical vs the stock cable just enhancing technical.

When Fiio came out with their FH5S IEMS I pretty much told them publicly in my review that they have to watch what cable they are matching up with their IEMs that has plenty of treble emphasis. Fiio throws in some of the best accessories with their IEM packages and is right up there with Dunu and even TOTL level IEMs when it comes to the plethora of accessories they throw in, however they were guilty of throwing in their extremely transparent. Silver plated monocrystalline copper cable.- Because it was their most transparent cable - even over a pure silver cable believe it or not.

Which brightened the entire sound of the FH5S to the point where it sounded fatiguing with crash cymbals due to a mild 8khz peak. About 4 month passes and to my surprise they created a new cable called the Fiio LC-RC cable which is mostly a monocrystalline copper cable that actually made the FH5S sound sooo much better they created a new package called the FH5s Pro. And the pro version was the inclusion of the new LC-RC cable. It was the cable they should have thrown with the FH5S on launch. But they decided to just call it Pro. They were so proud of creating this particular cable that they sent me a prototype to check out before they launched it.

Long story short. They no longer just throw in the most resolving cable they have with an IEM. I have noticed cable matching for their IEMs after the FH5S pro has been way better matched with their IEMs. The moral to this story is. Just because a cable is highly technical does not mean it is the best suited for an IEM. Tansio falls into the same boat unfortunately.

The cable that is included with the TSMR-X enhance the areas that are the most sensitive areas. I have been doing cable testing ever since I got the TSMR-X and to be honest. Just about any aftermarket cable will actually be a better match on the TSMR-X. No need to go out and buy a new upgraded cable, well that will be up to you, but I would try what you guys have on hand.

This cable pretty much killed any momentum for the Tansio Mirai Sands as well. It is the exact same cable and those had rather large treble shelf from 7-9Khz and then you add a cable that actually enhances the region? Lol

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #2,115 of 2,420
Just so you guys know. This is a case of Tansio Mirai using what they have on hand. The cable that came with the TSMR-X. Is a more technical/ detail enhancing type cable. It is similar in what it does to a silver plated monocrystalline copper cable that Fiio used to use.

I am very certain Taniso Mirai spent 100% of their efforts in tuning and designing the X but not exactly matching the right cable for it. IMO these can use something like a hybrid type cable. half copper and half SPC type. Would have actually helped balance the TSMR-X for musical and technical vs the stock cable just enhancing technical.

When Fiio came out with their FH5S IEMS I pretty much told them publicly in my review that they have to watch what cable they are matching up with their IEMs that has plenty of treble emphasis. Fiio throws in some of the best accessories with their IEM packages and is right up there with Dunu and even TOTL level IEMs when it comes to the plethora of accessories they throw in, however they were guilty of throwing in their extremely transparent. Silver plated monocrystalline copper cable.- Because it was their most transparent cable - even over a pure silver cable believe it or not.

Which brightened the entire sound of the FH5S to the point where it sounded fatiguing with crash cymbals due to a mild 8khz peak. About 4 month passes and to my surprise they created a new cable called the Fiio LC-RC cable which is mostly a monocrystalline copper cable that actually made the FH5S sound sooo much better they created a new package called the FH5s Pro. And the pro version was the inclusion of the new LC-RC cable. It was the cable they should have thrown with the FH5S on launch. But they decided to just call it Pro. They were so proud of creating this particular cable that they sent me a prototype to check out before they launched it.

Long story short. They no longer just throw in the most resolving cable they have with an IEM. I have noticed cable matching for their IEMs after the FH5S pro has been way better matched with their IEMs. The moral to this story is. Just because a cable is highly technical does not mean it is the best suited for an IEM. Tansio falls into the same boat unfortunately.

The cable that is included with the TSMR-X enhance the areas that are the most sensitive areas. I have been doing cable testing ever since I got the TSMR-X and to be honest. Just about any aftermarket cable will actually be a better match on the TSMR-X. No need to go out and buy a new upgraded cable, well that will be up to you, but I would try what you guys have on hand.

This cable pretty much killed any momentum for the Tansio Mirai Sands as well. It is the exact same cable and those had rather large treble shelf from 7-9Khz and then you add a cable that actually enhances the region? Lol
Yes, agreed, I put on the EA Cadmus 8w and that upped the ante. More testing will follow, but that cable is pretty good with X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back